Thread: batteries

RC Competitor

batteries

Want to go lipos on my rally, any suggestions on brands, 2s or 3s? Would I have to modify the battery compartment etc?

Thanks

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...1%2F16&x=7&y=9
    I just ordered (2) 2s 2300's and (1) 3s 1600.
    Unfortunately, my rally is not here yet.
    If these are anything like the 2s 6000 I got in the same order, they will haul donkey.
    they will fit right in.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I just ordered (2) SPC 3s 1600's with the big wire upgrade. I have (2) Duratrax 2S 1600's im going to keep around as well...
    I have no experience with these minis so I dont know how well the DTX batteries will work but it was Jakey himself who recomended the 3S 1600's and said the BWU (big wire upgrade) was worth the extra cost. I trust him implicitly so I went for it. My plan is to, at some point, go with an mamaba max 5700 system so I can run 4S. But for now, running either of the batteries I have in parallel will be sweet.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    oops, Didn't know about the wire upgrade. I just may have to send them in to buy the upgrade.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    How long would the rally run on 3s 1600 lipos? Does anyone sell 3s bigger then 1600? Would running 2 3s lipos in parallel over heat the motor or speed control and would I need to change the gearing for 3s lipos?

Thanks

The VXL 3M ESC can only handle 3S, so you can run 2 X 3S lipos in parallel only. Which means 2X 1600mah 3S lipos in parallel will give you 3200mah total run time. I think ******* or other overseas lipos come in higher MAH 3S versions. But my preference is to use lipos that have proven, top notch customer support. In this case, SPC is the best your going to find anywhere.

I would think it will be necessary to gear down a bit to control heat on 3S. Ill have to see what the stock gearing looks like and go from there. Usually going down 2 or 3 teeth on the pinion will keep things cool on 3S but the only way to know is to run the car and check temps.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I think 2s provides enough power, and i'm currently running a 2200mah dynamite 2s lipo, I will however experiment with running two in parallel and series eventually. So far there is more than enough power making it difficult enough to keep it from sliding out of control. Cannot wait until I get some grippy tires.
    Mini Summit / Rally

Looks like it comes geared 31/45... which seems EXTREMELY high to me... but maybe someone who has one can confirm gearing. If I was to run 3S id start at 28/45... then id try 25 then 23/45 as the next step. the good thing is this car uses standard 48p pinions and I have a TON of them....
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Looks like it comes geared 31/45... which seems EXTREMELY high to me... but maybe someone who has one can confirm gearing. If I was to run 3S id start at 28/45... then id try 25 then 23/45 as the next step. the good thing is this car uses standard 48p pinions and I have a TON of them....
    Rally
    Pinion 26t - #2426
    Spur 50t - #7046

28 seems still high to me, traxxas supply the 23 as speed pinion in erevos/slash not sure if it comes with the rally, that's my set up on my erevo my 2s lipo, so I will start from there.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 10-30-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Did you check that directly? Im only asking because in the traxxas parts listing on the Rally page the only pinion not in BOLD Seems to be the 31t and the only spur not in bold seems to be the 45t

But, if the 23t is a speed pinion with the MERV and slash my guess it its probably going to be too high for 3S on a rally since the rally wheels and tires are close (though not the same) diameter as the mini slash.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you check that directly? Im only asking because in the traxxas parts listing on the Rally page the only pinion not in BOLD Seems to be the 31t and the only spur not in bold seems to be the 45t

But, if the 23t is a speed pinion with the MERV and slash my guess it its probably going to be too high for 3S on a rally since the rally wheels and tires are close (though not the same) diameter as the mini slash.
    No Directly from traxxas got it from another guy at the forum, maybe you are right I'm not sure. I don't think it comes with 31 is too much the stock merv is 28.

RC Qualifier
    Page 24 in the manual has the gearing chart stock gearing for the rally is 28 opinion/45t spur and the speed opinion is 31t

RC Qualifier
    And for the mere its 23/50 stock and has a 28t speed opinion

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206
    Page 24 in the manual has the gearing chart stock gearing for the rally is 28 opinion/45t spur and the speed opinion is 31t
    great info !!!

RC Qualifier
    Pinion not opinion sorry autocorrect is killing me

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by snookerd1206
    And for the mere its 23/50 stock and has a 28t speed opinion
    I'm confused now I thought it was backwards stock 28, speed 23 !!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm run 2 2s in parallel in my two rallies and get close to and hour runtime with 2 2000mah 2s venom lipos they aren't the best but work great for me
    The spc 2300 lipos seems like a great buy as well and Will provide great runtime my brother in law runs 2 of these in his rally and complained he couldn't kill them lol

RC Qualifier
    To gear for higher top speed go bigger Pinion and smaller spur ie 28 to 31 pinion the spur gear is the smallest that traxxas has, they are 45, 50, and 55 I have two rallies, and have had the merv since release last year also have an erbe and love them all

Snookerd, what gearing are you running (stock or speed gearing?) hows your temps? Have you run 3S at all? Looks like for 3S ill be gearing down to around 23t pinion... I think that maybe the way to go. Ill also be picking up some spare spurs. Probably an extra 45 and an extra 50... the 50 may be beneficial if it allows me to use the stock pinion as I have tons of little pinions for 1/10 trucks, but only a couple in the 23-30 range.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Running stock gearing 28/45 for now haven't tried the speed Pinion no 3s lipos yet I guess I could try the 31 Pinion but for general bashing as we are doing stock gearing is fine temps get hot but no thermal yet we run for around 15 min then let it cool down for a few minutes these rallies are a blast to drive drift around very easy on the tennis courts
    I would recommend some foams or a belted tire for speed runs though

RC Qualifier
    Its still pretty hot here in Florida still though so ambient temps are close to 90

RC Qualifier
    I Will say that these are one of the most fun vehicles I have and I have quite a few electric and nitro from 1/18 to 1/8 these things are just fun to drive oh did I mention these are a blast to drive lol have fun and hope the info helps

Thanks... typically traxxas vehicles all come over geared anyway... maybe for your running on 2S going to a 25t pinion might keep things cooler. Im not so worried about the ESC thermaling. Im worried about overheating the motor more. But ill start with the 25 on 2S and see how that feels, then ill move to 3S and see how it responds... id like a ratio that can handle both 2 and 3S configurations so i can switch back and forth without needing to change pinions.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Thanks... typically traxxas vehicles all come over geared anyway... maybe for your running on 2S going to a 25t pinion might keep things cooler. Im not so worried about the ESC thermaling. Im worried about overheating the motor more. But ill start with the 25 on 2S and see how that feels, then ill move to 3S and see how it responds... id like a ratio that can handle both 2 and 3S configurations so i can switch back and forth without needing to change pinions.
    I ran mine yesterday with 2s 1600s Lipos and hit 169 on the motor in 5 mins with body on. Ran 2- 3s 1600s for about 6 mins also and hit almost 180ish on brand new ashpalt.
    Mostly half throttle some full throttle. Seems a little cooler than the Revo VXL but still way to hot. I will run the 2s batteries to LVC today but this still runs too hot. It needs a fan and heatsink for motor and ESC was way too hot also.
    Also somehow a pillow ball fell out on the rear "well got really loose clicking sound" I will be looking into that today.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Competitor
    Was all of that info using stock gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Was all of that info using stock gearing?
    Yes. But on a good note it was 40F yesterday and it ran fine no heat issues but, It might have been from the tires not hooking up on the cold asphalt I only ran it about half throttle most of the time but it stayed around 130-140ish
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

Luckily I was looking at my collection of 48P gears last night and I have everything from 15-35 so I should be able to find a good setup to run 2S and 3S without overheating.
    But this is all good info... im going to pick up a 50t spur as well and I have a motor heatsink with fan and a heatsink motor mount as well... hopefully this will all help.
    Has anyone got a heatsink for the VXL3M ESC? Anyone retrofitted one that works?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ