Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA

Battery compartment size.

From the looks of it, looks like the batt compartment is smaller than the slash 4x4. I know by looking at the 7 cell hump pack in there, that most of my lipos will not fit...
    Also no room to "cut out" the back of the chassis like the 2x4.

Sorry to keep you hanging, 1Slash hit me up for the dimensions last night. Here's the scoop on the Stampede 4X4's batt tray dimensions:

L: 142 mm
    W: 48.5 mm
    H: 23 or 25 mm depending on the position of the stock included hold down. Each side of the strap is labeled so you can see which orientation gives you 23 and 25mm. --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-28-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    yeah i was looking at that as well, my spc lipos barely fit in my slash 4x4, if the pede has a smaller battery tray then im afraid new lipos would have to be purchased. i guess this is great news for JAKEY lol
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Champion
    i am going to PM PeterV and see if he can tell me what it is i have emailed traxxas also but haven't gotten a reply

EDIT OPPS just found out that you can't pm him
    Last edited by 1slash; 10-27-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Dont most SPC batteries fit ina rustler or pede without mods? Any hardcase 2S lipo will fit and any battery with the same dimensions as a 2S hardcase (most venoms) will fit no problem. I dont think SPC batteries are any different or any bigger than the venoms. I could be wrong though. I know a 5000mah 3S venom will fit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    i am going to PM PeterV and see if he can tell me what it is i have emailed traxxas also but haven't gotten a reply

EDIT OPPS just found out that you can't pm him
    pvieira@traxxas.com
    He posts his email so you can contact him with these kind of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Dont most SPC batteries fit ina rustler or pede without mods? Any hardcase 2S lipo will fit and any battery with the same dimensions as a 2S hardcase (most venoms) will fit no problem. I dont think SPC batteries are any different or any bigger than the venoms. I could be wrong though. I know a 5000mah 3S venom will fit.
    They are narrower than some of the other popular brands, and all fit easily length- and width-wise into my Slash 4x4. I wouldn't think that the compartment size on the Stampede would be any different.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Is the slash 4X4 battery compartment sized for 7cell flat packs? If so, the pede 4X4 battery tray will be shorter.. its sized for 7cell hump packs.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I think the size is exactly the same for both: 7-cell hump packs...

2S 5000mAh hard case LiPo packs will fit just fine...

And, you can always buy the extended battery hold downs (#5827X)...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Is the slash 4X4 battery compartment sized for 7cell flat packs? If so, the pede 4X4 battery tray will be shorter.. its sized for 7cell hump packs.
    The 4s4 battery compartment is sized for 7-cell flat packs. A 6+1 on the end TRX 7-cell pack fits rather loosely.
    I'm getting about 5.5-5.6 inches (139-143 mm) for the length of the 4p4 battery compartment and a little less than 2 inches (<50mm) for the width. width.
    This means that a lot of favorite batteries may very well not fit without chassis mods to both width and length.
    If the above specs are close, my 2S SPC softcase 5000s and hardcase 6000s should fit, but I have reservations about the 8000s fitting.

@danielhr77: my 4s4 shipped with a Series-3 Power Cell flat 7-cell pack.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-28-2010 at 01:52 AM.

looks as if the batt compartment length is the issue. I know my *******s will not fit lengthwise. I will have to see if my better batts will fit within the dimensions of a 6 cell stick pack. It will really suck if the 6000 spc hardcase that i just ordered does not fit the chassis. If so, all my pede 4x4's will be "extended".

I know venoms will all fit. Ive owned a number of their 3S batteries and they all fit into the dimensions (width and length, not height) of a 6cell nimh battery (in the 2X4 battery tray anyway). Never owned an SPC but maybe Jakey can chime in and let us know his thoughts. I think a BIG 3S is the way to go for me in this thing.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You just had to drag me into to this. I'm warning - you will pay this winter.

Ok, I'll compare an old 6-cell Nimh to a few "un-named" (cough, cough) LiPo packs.

Ill keep a tear off on my googles to get ride of the snow when you head roost me... its a small price to pay to clear up this issue really... im happy to take the hit.
    P.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow, that is mighty big of you. Roosting you won't even be fun now.

Oh well, I'll still help out and we will still go riding.

Sorry to keep you hanging, 1Slash hit me up for the dimensions last night. Here's the scoop on the Stampede 4X4's batt tray dimensions:

L: 142 mm
    W: 48.5 mm
    H: 23 or 25 mm depending on the position of the stock included hold down. Each side of the strap is labeled so you can see which orientation gives you 23 and 25mm.

And the slash battery expansion kit would work I assume, just using the taller hold down and post?

Correct --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Using an EnerG4600, 6-cell, Nimh pack that is assembled in a side-x-side configuration, I came up with these dimensions: 138mm Long, 49mm wide (including Deans silver-plated battery bars), 23.5mm tall.

Now onto some “generic” LiPo packs.

5000mAh/20C/2S, soft-case: 137mm long, 44mm wide, 16.5mm tall

5000mAh/20C/3S, soft-case: 140mm long, 44.5mm wide, 25mm tall

6000mAh/30C/2S, hard-case: 138.5mm long, 46mm wide, 24.5mm tall

8000mAh/20C/2S, soft-case: 143mm long, 45mm wide, 26.5mm tall

8000mAh/20C/3S, soft-case: 144mm long, 45mm wide, 40mm tall

5000mAh/20C/2S, soft-case (“Zipped” straight from the factory): 142mm long, 52mm wide, 16mm tall

5000mAh/20C/2S, soft-case (“Turned” straight from the factory): 144mm long, 50.5mm wide, 18mm tall

6000mAh/25C/2S, soft-case (“****-ed” straight from the factory): 154mm long, 48mm wide, 19mm tall

This is not meant as advertising or selling, but rather submitted as fitment information only at the request of one snowmobiling guy from Canada, eh?
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-28-2010 at 12:08 PM.

RC Champion
    thanks peterV for the fast reply!

but i just got an email back from traxxas and they said this

Hello,

It is 166mm x 49.5mm x 25mm (29mm with the optional battery expansion kit.)

so they are saying 166mm is the length?

but i think i will go with your measurements just cuz your the best Traxxas Employee IMHO
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

thanks peterV for the fast reply!

but i just got an email back from traxxas and they said this

Hello,

It is 166mm x 49.5mm x 25mm (29mm with the optional battery expansion kit.)

so they are saying 166mm is the length?

but i think i will go with your measurements just cuz your the best Traxxas Employee IMHO
    Sounds like a Slash 4x4 to me.

So I guess its a ****-no-go EH!... hehe

Everything else looks like it could be "massaged" in there if it had to be. I think ill be using battery straps as opposed to the hold downs. Just doesnt seem like the hold down bar is going to work for big batteries like I want to run.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think the stock hold down strap will work for any of the 5000 to 6000 mAh packs noted (2S and 3S) and the 8000mAh/2S pack. The 8000mAh/3S is another story entirely.

(I guess I didn't get the "EH" right. Must be my Yankee accent. )
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-28-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Its not just that... I also miss pronounce the letter Zee or is it Zed? Who knows.

Im looking at an 8000mah 3S... that may be the battery for me. Its hard to decide as id like to run whatever batteries I buy in my ERBE... so I kindof wanted something with a higher C rating... I know with 8000mah capacity it should be fine in the pede... but I dont think 2 of those batteries will fit in a ERBE.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    also peterV do you know if traxxas will come out with a battery expansion kit for the stampede 4x4 and then what would the battery tray size be then??

There will be an expension kit specifically for the ST4X4, it will accomodate packs up to 44mm high in its "max height" position. Flip the strap over, and you get 35mm. --Pete

thanks
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-28-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

also peterV do you know if traxxas will come out with a battery expansion kit for the stampede 4x4
    Answer:

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    And, you can always buy the extended battery hold downs (#5827X)...

RC Champion
    but will that work with the stampede 4x4 cuz its battery hold down is shorter than the slash 4x4's

EDIT: wait nvm lol it dose not use a new battery hold down but i am still wondering what the size of the battery tray would be once you have that kit installed
    Last edited by 1slash; 10-28-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

I guess you're right, I didn't see that the 7-cell pack has the 7th battery on the top, not at the back... But...

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    @danielhr77: my 4s4 shipped with a Series-3 Power Cell flat 7-cell pack.
    Also, missed ksb51rl comment, so, I'm confused...

@ksb51rl by hump pack I meant the flat pack, sometimes I confuse them, I'm not a native american you know...

Last edited by danielhr77; 10-28-2010 at 04:40 PM.

So let me get this straight. My 2 older spc 5000 soft case will fit, also my dynamite 5300 hard will also, But the hard 6000 spc I just bought, and my one remaining ******* soft 5000 (cant wait till its dead!) will not?

RC Qualifier
    I understand that this battery tray is designed primarily to accommodate 6-cell sub-C packs, since that's what this hobby has used since the beginning. However, given the massive rise in popularity of LiPo packs, as well as Traxxas' use of LiPo to reach the high speeds used in their advertising, I'm extremely disappointed in this tray size.

It seems like someone in the company might have noticed that a huge number of their customers prefer to use inexpensive Chinese batteries (there are dozens of threads on this forum about modifying a chassis to accommodate), and yet they've sized the battery tray so that only expensive, name-brand packs will fit. It would have been no trouble at all for Traxxas to mold this tray just a tiny bit bigger. Say, 150x50x26mm. A foam spacer might be needed to keep a small pack in place, but I have to think that tiny cost would be offset by extra sales thanks to the increased compatibility. It's not like this is a racing chassis, where it's important to have absolute minimum weight with a secure fit for NiMH and spec hard case packs. Many of their vehicles come with some foam anyway.

It's a shame, because to me this is absolutely the most desirable, exciting vehicle Traxxas has ever released. And I probably won't be buying one. I'm not sure there's enough material I can scrape out to fit my packs, and I'm certainly not buying new $80-140 packs when I've got a shelf full of Chinese packs with more performance than I can handle.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aramid
    I understand that this battery tray is designed primarily to accommodate 6-cell sub-C packs, since that's what this hobby has used since the beginning. However, given the massive rise in popularity of LiPo packs, as well as Traxxas' use of LiPo to reach the high speeds used in their advertising, I'm extremely disappointed in this tray size.

It seems like someone in the company might have noticed that a huge number of their customers prefer to use inexpensive Chinese batteries (there are dozens of threads on this forum about modifying a chassis to accommodate), and yet they've sized the battery tray so that only expensive, name-brand packs will fit. It would have been no trouble at all for Traxxas to mold this tray just a tiny bit bigger. Say, 150x50x26mm. A foam spacer might be needed to keep a small pack in place, but I have to think that tiny cost would be offset by extra sales thanks to the increased compatibility. It's not like this is a racing chassis, where it's important to have absolute minimum weight with a secure fit for NiMH and spec hard case packs. Many of their vehicles come with some foam anyway.

It's a shame, because to me this is absolutely the most desirable, exciting vehicle Traxxas has ever released. And I probably won't be buying one. I'm not sure there's enough material I can scrape out to fit my packs, and I'm certainly not buying new $80-140 packs when I've got a shelf full of Chinese packs with more performance than I can handle.

i 100% agree with you i live in Canada so most shipping from spc and other places like maxamp have over $20 shipping to where i live.

so i have to get cheap battery's to pay for the cost of shipping but most of them won't fit
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aramid

Many of the inexpensive LiPo packs noted are not RC specific. In other words the cells were designed, tooling developed and cells were built for some other use. A business-minded person (along with unethical government subsidizing) came along and picked out some cells that were close to RC size and sold them as inexpensive RC packs and so it began.

Say for a moment that Traxxas did do as you suggested, they did design and tool the new Stampede chassis for non-RC specific cells, then this would open the door for even more, wider, non-RC specific cells that were close in width, so the next chassis design must have a battery tray that is wider yet and then on and on. Where would it end? Would it not be easier to design the chassis around known pack dimensions (dare I say it) as specified by ROAR sizing? Certainly if I was an Engineer for Traxxas that is where I would begin for pack dimensions.

As for shipping rates to Canada, it is what it is. Without insurance the minimum rate is around $13.00 and is fixed by the shipping companies.
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-28-2010 at 06:26 PM.

In case you missed my imbedded message elsewhere above:

There will be an expension kit specifically for the ST4X4, it will accomodate packs up to 44mm high in its "max height" position. Flip the strap over, and you get 35mm.

aramid the battery tray of just about every RC vehicle has been a standard size for a very long time and battery manufacturer's have made batteries to fit it for decades. Now a very unscrupulous manufacturer comes along and starts flooding the market with with cheap batteries. I feel the onus is on them to make their batteries conform to the standards that the industry has been using rather than have the industry conform to their batteries.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Jakey, Dad, I definitely understand your perspective. Yes, ideally the battery manufacturers would conform to existing specifications. My point, well-made or not, was that of a customer, not a battery manufacturer. It seems to me that whether it's standardized or not, a large number of Traxxas customers prefer to use these batteries. Doesn't it make some sense to cater to them (since it doesn't really affect the customers with small batteries)? Like I said, there are plenty of threads detailing modifications to get the same result.

On the other hand, I may be complaining prematurely, based on the published specs for cheap batteries (which I'll freely admit are not very precise). I just measured my own batteries at 48mm wide, which was going to be the difficult dimension.

Jakey, Dad, I definitely understand your perspective. Yes, ideally the battery manufacturers would conform to existing specifications. My point, well-made or not, was that of a customer, not a battery manufacturer. It seems to me that whether it's standardized or not, a large number of Traxxas customers prefer to use these batteries. Doesn't it make some sense to cater to them (since it doesn't really affect the customers with small batteries)? Like I said, there are plenty of threads detailing modifications to get the same result.
    You should also consider that the company I assume you are talking about is also engaged in what amounts to stealing from Traxxas, by offering knock off or cloned Traxxas connectors. That is why the name of this website is not allowed here. I think it is rather unreasonable to now suggest that Traxxas should cater to them and redesign Traxxas vehicles to accommodate this companies non standard battery size.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    dose traxxas have a patent in china for their traxxas connectors? if they do then the compony that we are not supost to name is doing something really illegal and I'm surprised traxxas has not gotten them shut down

but if they don't have a patent in china its totally legal (i think)

also thanks again peterV for the fast reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Many of the inexpensive LiPo packs noted are not RC specific. In other words the cells were designed, tooling developed and cells were built for some other use. A business-minded person (along with unethical government subsidizing) came along and picked out some cells that were close to RC size and sold them as inexpensive RC packs and so it began.

Say for a moment that Traxxas did do as you suggested, they did design and tool the new Stampede chassis for non-RC specific cells, then this would open the door for even more, wider, non-RC specific cells that were close in width, so the next chassis design must have a battery tray that is wider yet and then on and on. Where would it end? Would it not be easier to design the chassis around known pack dimensions (dare I say it) as specified by ROAR sizing? Certainly if I was an Engineer for Traxxas that is where I would begin for pack dimensions.

As for shipping rates to Canada, it is what it is. Without insurance the minimum rate is around $13.00 and is fixed by the shipping companies.
    no i have ordered from spc twice before and to ship to Canada its over $20 US and plus if its a big order i will get hit with a ton of tax's at the door (around $20-$30)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-28-2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: merge
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    just looked and to ship one 3s 5000mah battery and to ship by usps with no insurance its $21.2
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1slash - You have a PM

Regardless of what company is selling batteries being used in the RCs we own, there is no demand for batteries without the original vehicle to put them in... therefore if the battery company wishes to sell batteries for RC use, its in THEIR best interests to build the batteries to the base specifications generally accepted and produced by the majority of the RC companies out there... in this case, the generally accepted battery size guidelines are what Traxxas has used for the Pede 4X4... if "other" companies want to sell batteries to us Pede 4X4 owners, make a battery that fits...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    So let me get this straight. My 2 older spc 5000 soft case will fit, also my dynamite 5300 hard will also, But the hard 6000 spc I just bought, and my one remaining ******* soft 5000 (cant wait till its dead!) will not?
    The SPC 2S/30C/6000 will definitely fit. It's 138.5mm long, 46mm wide, 24.5mm tall.

RC Champion
    now with the battery kit that will come out it will let you use alot more battery's so im happy
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    The SPC 2S/30C/6000 will definitely fit. It's 138.5mm long, 46mm wide, 24.5mm tall.
    Just measured my brand spankin new one, and it will fit fine.