RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Think im going rally... have some Q's for the pros

I have a 1/16 VXL system sitting here not selling and not being used. Are the brushed versions of the rally the same as the brushless versions? IE: could i just buy the brushed car and drop my brushless system into it or are there other considerations?

The car is "brushless ready," but you'll need the brushless motor mount--the brushed mount is different. --Pete

Id likely pick up a selection of 1/10 TC wheels and tires so that in itself isnt an issue... im more concerned about the rest of the car... I know its got a mount for a 550 titan... would I still be able to mount up my 1/16 system? Or would I need a different motor mount?

Yep, different mount. You need the 7090 plate.

Id probably end up buying a 1/16 motor mount with some sort of heat sink built in... so maybe the 550 size mount isnt an issue.

How does the 1/16 system do with heat? Id want to run it fast, but id also want it to stay cool so probably 2X2S lipos in series or 2X3S lipos in parallel... I would imagine the 3S in parallel would be pretty fast... fast enough anyway.

The ESC is limited to 3S in LiPo mode, FYI. It's thermal-overload protected. No fun to "thermal," but at least you won't hurt anything if you overdo it.

My reasoning for wanting this car, despite having so many other vehicles already, is that i end up running my trucks in paved parking lots by myself in the evenings... which means im going through tons of tires and all im doing is high speed runs and drifting around. Having a car meant for this type of running makes sense... so id likely sell off my RC18T and buy this car... then I go back to having ONLY traxxas products... cause you know..... im a fanboy.

FANBOYS RULE!
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-28-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    yes, all you would have to do is take out the brushed esc/motor and put in the brushless.

I put my spare VXL3M system up for sale on e-bay. I think I can get more for it that way and just buy a new Rally VXL... That way I get it all setup and brand new the way I like it. Id also get to sell the 2.4 radio and recoup some costs... whereas with the brushed version I just end up with ANOTHER TQ2 I dont need and cant sell.

I also really really like the Rally VXL body. Since it wouldnt be an offroader where the body gets killed id just run it stock. Ive got a 4X4 pede ordered and dont plan to run that body at all as it wont last. But with the Rally I like the stock looks. I think im going to get the Silver version and buy some aftermarket black rims... what offset are the stock rims, or what offset rims would I be looking at for aftermarket?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    pave you should wait for the ken block edition !!!!!
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Racer
    He wants a brushed model, the Block edition will most likely only have the brushless motor... although, that body will be deadly!
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Qualifier
    he just said he was going to get the vxl, thats not brushed, besides, how can you go brushed when you have this !!!

credit to djmaincheese
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I dont like "edition" vehicles that are copies of other racers vehicles. And while I do like Ken block alot (maybe one of the best drivers on the planet) I really don't like monster at all. But, I do like the stock rally silver body alot. So that will do it for me for sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Not to mention you'll be buying another brushless motor when you were trying to avoid buying another one lol I heard the brushed model was around $100 cheaper, so i'd go that route if you have a spare brushless motor laying around... whenever they become available.
    Mini Summit / Rally

just put my RC18T up for sale so I can buy the rally... This will be the 4th RC ive put up for sale in a week... all to make room for the new stuff. Man, youd think the fleet would be getting smaller but, actually, its not. Uggghhh

I do think the rally is the right car for me. On top of the reasons stated in the original post for wanting a rally my original reason to want a mini at all was to run indoors at trade shows after hours when the shows are over. I had an 1/18 SC truck (DTX) and liked it... but it wasnt traxxas and had some inherent flaws that no aftermarket part could fix... that bugs me. The RC18T was next on my list... I think it would have been a durable truck for the indoor running I was going to do, but served no purpose for me outside... kind of a waste really. I did like the size though. The rally does what the SC truck did indoors (slides around on a concrete floor like a champ) but has a super durable drivetrain, no overt durability issues that cant be fixed and is still big and fast enough to be run outside on less than perfect pavement. I had no intentions of jumping or bashing any of these trucks... just good top speed, small size, durable, brushless and lipo capable and good handling... All things the rally has in spades.

Anyway, minds made up, stuffs up for sale, moneys coming in. Im thinking about either ordering the rally now and not getting much use out of it before winter... or waiting till winter ends to get it... Cant decide. i know if I get it now, ill have all winter to upgrade and customize (which is something I think im compelled to do). Thanks for the tips and help so far.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 10-28-2010 at 11:13 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    so you getting this instead of the pede?
    rustler vxl 2.4

No... pede too... I know... it may seem like im loaded... but im not. I simply had an abundance of stuff laying around that was all worth some cash... the RC stuff ive sold on the forums and the other stuff ive sold on e-bay. I sold off a couple of my main vehicles, extra radios, brushless systems, wheels and tires, spare parts, aluminum upgrades... parted out my rustler... Im just collecting all the cash I can and using it all towards a couple new, but better suited vehicles. So far, believe it or not, even after buying the pede, all the upgrades for the pede and the rally I should actually come out with a bit of extra cash to spend on the wife. Ill time it so I buy her something the day the boxes arrive from tower...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    lol, nice plan!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    And while I do like Ken block alot (maybe one of the best drivers on the planet) .

Gymkhana yes, WRC *cough* 23rd in a championship consisting of 25 drivers

Two complately different ball games, and I'm only messin. He is a great driver.

I know what you mean about the special editions though, not everyones choice.
    Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 11-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.