RC Enthusiast

Slash 4x4 or stampede 4x4

I will probably buy one of the trucks in the near future. What is better
    brushless and nitro. Now your talkin'!

RC Qualifier
    jack, i hate to be rude, but just like me there are other ppl in here that hates threads like this, out in the open with no reasonable answer.
    For instance: the Stampede 4x4 IS NOT EVEN OUT YET, and to compare with a SC truck that has been out for months is not fair. so how are we supposed to know??

now, Yes they do share a lot of parts (which is good) but the chassis on the stampede its smaller, so it will definitely drive different. it has different tires, body, etc.
    so there really isn't a "what is better?" truck, the real question is... What do you want to do with it? are you going to the track to race? street runs? offroad? bashing? jumping? speed?
    answer those questions and then you can find which one YOU want

Fox
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Champion
    That was a bit blunt...

But when you ask us which is better, you should really be asking, "What is better for what I want to do?"

So yes: Answer ^^^^^ questions so we can help you further.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    I was debating about this to jack b. But since I don't race and all I do is bash and stuff, I have decided to go with the stampede 4x4 even though it is a little small for me.
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang63
    I was debating about this to jack b. But since I don't race and all I do is bash and stuff, I have decided to go with the stampede 4x4 even though it is a little small for me.
    i thought you had an Emaxx????
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    That was a bit blunt...
    I Lol'd .

Goodness the truck isn't out yet, but judging by the MT build threads of the Slash people like the whole monster truck stampede 4x4. Just depends on your driving style and conditions.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxhoundEP3
    i thought you had an Emaxx????
    I do but I'm also looking at a monster truck that takes 1 battery and 1 motor/esc. I still love my maxx though don't get me wrong
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    if you jump and bash i would say get the stampede 4x4 but is you race i would go with the slash 4x4
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Yep all I do is bash so Stampede 4x4 it is unless I overhaul my emaxx...(will probably end up just dropping a 775 in it). But thanks to all of the people in the embe fourm for all of their help.
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Qualifier
    They aren't all that different. One is just longer. Longer means less wheelies. Wheelies means no steering. If you want to steer, get the Slash 4x4 and make it into an MT.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    if you jump and bash i would say get the stampede 4x4 but is you race i would go with the slash 4x4
    Jumping is better suited to the Slash 4x4 also. Less prone to wheelie so you can control it better when approaching the launch ramp.

The slash 4x4 body sucks for jump though so it would need to be changed out.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The pede jumps excellent, better than my slash MT did thats for sure. The shorter wheel base means you have better control in the air, less mass to move around.

Some people like wheelies... me for example. But with proper throttle control the truck doesnt wheelie up to the face of a jump. Learning how to drive a short truck will make you a better more controlled driver with a longer one.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    You're saying a 2wd pede has better air control than a 4x4 slash mt? Doesn't make sense.

RC Champion
    i have to agree with pave the stampede 4x4 is going to have better air control than the slash 4x4 MT cuz of its shorter wheelbase.

and remember the stampede 2wd had all of its weight at the back so that why it wheeled so easily, but this new stampede 4x4 has the weight in the center so its not going to wheelie as much, but will still wheelie a good amount so IMO its a grate mix for a basher who like's to jump, off road, and wheelie.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    i have to agree with pave the stampede 4x4 is going to have better air control than the slash 4x4 MT cuz of its shorter wheelbase.

and remember the stampede 2wd had all of its weight at the back so that why it wheeled so easily, but this new stampede 4x4 has the weight in the center so its not going to wheelie as much, but will still wheelie a good amount so IMO its a grate mix for a basher who like's to jump, off road, and wheelie.
    Pave said the stampede jumps excellent. Since the 4x4 isn't out yet, he's referring to the 2wd version. (correct me if I've wrong Pave).

I don't see a 2wd pede having better air control than a 4x4 MT slash.

I meant chassis length... 2WD VS 2WD... a 2X4 pede jumps just as good if not better than a 2X4 slash MT... I owned both at the same time and drove them in exactly the same way/places. The pede jumped more consistently and was far easier to control in the air. I can only assume that in the 4X4 world this will hold true also. Handling in the corners on the other hand, the slash MT was more stable and did out handle the pede... but strictly jumping... the pede was the winner. For me.... maybe not for everyone, I wont force my opinions... just state them as I feel them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, I thought you had a slash 4x4. I get what you're saying and agree.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    I meant chassis length... 2WD VS 2WD... a 2X4 pede jumps just as good if not better than a 2X4 slash MT... I owned both at the same time and drove them in exactly the same way/places. The pede jumped more consistently and was far easier to control in the air. I can only assume that in the 4X4 world this will hold true also. Handling in the corners on the other hand, the slash MT was more stable and did out handle the pede... but strictly jumping... the pede was the winner. For me.... maybe not for everyone, I wont force my opinions... just state them as I feel them.
    No doubt, whether stock length or extended, the 2wd Stampede is an excellent jumper. I'm not saying it'll travel the farthest or the highest, but for smooth attempt after smooth attempt, the Stampede is certainly my most consistent jumper.
    Re: the 2wd being easier to control in-air (I realize that wasn't the original contention but let's follow that train of thought), it might be true depending on the weight distribution. Again, I'm not saying the 2wd will fly better than the 4x4 from a good launch, but correcting a 2wd is made extremely easy due to the majority of the weight of the truck being centered so close to the pivot point - the tranny and the rear axles/wheels/tires. I KNOW my 2wd corrects much better than my Slash 4x4 when I'm running SC tires, and still better than the 4s4 when running Talons off a Stampede.
    All this to say that the Stampede 4x4 will probably fly better and correct better than the Slash 4x4, but not necessarily better than the 2wd Stampede. Can't wait to find out.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Really. I guess my experience with 4wd's has been limited to those running truggy wheels or larger except for my slash 4x4. I've found those 4wd to be super easy to control in air compared to my rustler. Perhaps its a function of tire size. My slash 4x4 with the SC tires is far more difficult.

I think the important factor is powered wheel weight as a ratio of overall vehicle weight. A 2X4 pede will likely have a higher powered wheel weight ratio than that of a stock slash 4X4... in other words, a greater percentage of the overall vehicle weight is spinning or breaking in the air. Combine that with KSB's excellent observation in terms of the centreline of the rotating mass and youve got a great argument for why a 2X4 pede may be more controllable in the air.

Another huge factor, now that I think about it further, would be the direction of the rotating mass INSIDE the motor. The rotor is spinning with the wheels on a 2X4 but side to side on a 4X4... this weight, while not overt, is certainly a factor when it is stopped immediately when the brakes are applied. In the case of a 4X4, it has no effect on the attitude of the truck in the air. All things considered... this is making sense.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    i know i used to have a slash 2wd and it was okay at controlling in the air but once i got my 4x4 the change was amazing i had so much more control i was in shock

so i am thinking the stampede 4x4 is going to have even better control in the air than the stampede 2wd cuz its 4wd even tho the pede 2wd has a more rear center of gravaty
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    My son and I have become pretty good at flipping our pedes. The slash 4x4 can flip pretty good too. But I can't wait to start flipping that pede 4x4.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    i know i used to have a slash 2wd and it was okay at controlling in the air but once i got my 4x4 the change was amazing i had so much more control i was in shock

so i am thinking the stampede 4x4 is going to have even better control in the air than the stampede 2wd cuz its 4wd even tho the pede 2wd has a more rear center of gravaty
    That's the train of that I was taught. More powered wheels = more gyro control.

RC Qualifier

Decisions

My hat is off to Traxxas! A company that places a forum like this for easy access to anyone (who is currently or might use their products in the future) is definitely today's marketing king. Proving my point is the newly introduced 4x4 Stampede. Even I have asked as to why a 4x4 Stampede wasn't sold by Traxxas? After seeing their offering, I'm confused as to why it looks so much like a Slash? Will I get one? Probably not anytime soon. I own a 4x4 Slash. The recession we are currently in limits my hobby funds. What would drive me to really push my wallet hard to get a 4x4 'Pede? Possibly a totally different design from ground up than that of the 4x4 Slash.

Other concerns include why isn't the 4x4 'Pede as tall or not taller than its 4x2 brother? If length is the biggest difference between the 4x4 'Pede and 4x4 Slash, why would I need both trucks?
    minitrux.net 4x4VXL Slash Rustler & VCreeper

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    For the backflips. This thing is gonna whip to and fro in the air. All that torque to the big old pede wheels is gonna be a blast. Yhey should have called it the TRAXXAS BLAST and then. ULTIMATE BLAST would be a cool fallow up.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 3traxx
    My hat is off to Traxxas! A company that places a forum like this for easy access to anyone (who is currently or might use their products in the future) is definitely today's marketing king. Proving my point is the newly introduced 4x4 Stampede. Even I have asked as to why a 4x4 Stampede wasn't sold by Traxxas? After seeing their offering, I'm confused as to why it looks so much like a Slash? Will I get one? Probably not anytime soon. I own a 4x4 Slash. The recession we are currently in limits my hobby funds. What would drive me to really push my wallet hard to get a 4x4 'Pede? Possibly a totally different design from ground up than that of the 4x4 Slash.

Other concerns include why isn't the 4x4 'Pede as tall or not taller than its 4x2 brother? If length is the biggest difference between the 4x4 'Pede and 4x4 Slash, why would I need both trucks?
    You don't. If you have a slash 4x4, just put big tires on it when you want to bash. Put the SC wheels back one when its time to race.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmr4life
    That's the train of that I was taught. More powered wheels = more gyro control.
    Depends on size/weight of wheels/tires and overall weight distribution.
    Please note this in my post:
    "not necessarily better than the 2wd Stampede. Can't wait to find out."
    We'll see soon enough.

Amen to that!
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    Depends on size/weight of wheels/tires and overall weight distribution.
    Please note this in my post:
    "not necessarily better than the 2wd Stampede. Can't wait to find out."
    We'll see soon enough.
    I'd suggest using the same wheels at the 4x4 stampede to start off. That's what most people have used for their Slash 4x4 MT conversions.

Slash 4x4 or stampede 4x4
    Why don't we just table the "which is easier to jump" part of the discussion until there's something to compare?

Biggest thing I am worried about with the 4x4 pede would be axles. If people break them/pop u-joints on the 4x4 Slash, the pede having larger heavier tires is only going to amplify the problem.

Now let me just say that I have personally seen a Slash 4x4 with Pede tires on it run SEVERAL packs through it doing speed runs, jumping, etc, and didn't see it break one part the whole time, plus the one guy driving it was really beating it up lol. BUT the slipper was adjusted properly and there was no problem.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    Am I hearing you guys correctly? The only way to gain ground clearance with the 'Pede or a Slash is taller tires? Thus anymore height is just body lift from chassis up and that equals thin air minus parts.

So what tires do you mean? I can't put E-Maxx ones, so what?

Proline Badlands are taller than stock, as are masher 2000's. Bother grip extremely well. Really the only way to gain ground clearance with any vehicle is to put bigger tires on it. Yeah obviously you can jack up the suspension but the hubs are always going to be in the same spot, plus the more the suspension is jacked up the harder it is on the driveline.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    LOL. Both chassis and setup are exactly the same guys. except for themounts I believe. Go look guys. Im saving and just gunna buy a stampede 4x4 roller then convert down to a rusty
    Live Life.................While You Can

Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    Biggest thing I am worried about with the 4x4 pede would be axles. If people break them/pop u-joints on the 4x4 Slash, the pede having larger heavier tires is only going to amplify the problem.

Now let me just say that I have personally seen a Slash 4x4 with Pede tires on it run SEVERAL packs through it doing speed runs, jumping, etc, and didn't see it break one part the whole time, plus the one guy driving it was really beating it up lol. BUT the slipper was adjusted properly and there was no problem.
    If that was me or my buddy, you should have seen day 2! And what it took to bend the only two axles that failed me... let's just say I deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by czinnsy
    LOL. Both chassis and setup are exactly the same guys. except for themounts I believe. Go look guys. Im saving and just gunna buy a stampede 4x4 roller then convert down to a rusty
    The new Stampede chassis is new, it is similar to the Slash 4x4 but the dimensions are different.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    This may have been mentioned before, sorry if I overlooked it. Is all of Traxxas' 4WD basically the same? I would say NO. Once I had an E-Maxx and I could rip a bank apart. My 4WD Slash barely shows it's been up a bank. I would think the Stampede would do even less damage to create loose dirt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    The new Stampede chassis is new, it is similar to the Slash 4x4 but the dimensions are different.
    Once I compared both chassis from the pics from the hobby expo and ones of the slash 4x4 they are very similar. The stampede isnt has wide
    Live Life.................While You Can

Or as long, or laid out exactly the same. This is like the saying the MERV and the ERBE chassis are the same because they look similar. Size difference is DIFFERENT... its a different chassis, completely, front to back. The only parts of the Pede 4X4 chassis that is the same as the slash 4X4 is the front and back bulkhead mounts. The entire centre section is different.

I find it funny that people accept the Bandit and Rustler as being different... but have trouble accepting the Slash and Pede 4X4's are different.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Bimbo! You are having it!
    -Ben Jabituya (Fisher Stevens) in "Short Circuit"

Give me a high "johnny 5"

and remember... whatever God wants... he keeps!!!

Now thats some funny stuff right there!
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ