RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Venom makes a 35C 5000mah 3S pack... thats what ill be running. I just bought 2 of them for $138 from LiquidRC
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast

Stepping back in, ordered one from Tower!

Taking a break from real cars for a few years, stepping back into the r/c game. Got it ordered for $379.99 shipped from Tower, using the discount code from their home page.

Anyone else pre-order too? I left it open to any color, to hopefully dodge any kind of delay on getting it. Anyone else ever pre-order from Tower? Would I have had better luck getting one sooner from my LHS?

I want to get some 3S Lipo's and appropriate charger together before hand. Will the 4x4 use the same pack as the 2x4 VXL Stampede? I understand that there is a divide in regards to the foreign stuff -vs- the US stuff. I'll likely be sending some PM's out to some of you Lipo users for more details and keep it off of the forum to minimize possible redundancy.

Planning to get a temp gun and a new body this weekend and start putting an r/c toolbox together as well.

Thanks for reading...

THere ya go, way to jump back into the game in style. What body are you looking at? The toughest body ive found that fits a stock stampede is the Proline Hummer SUT body. Its SUPER thick and durable. Most Stadium truck bodies can fit also. If you do plan to run a different body, from what I can tell, getting the slash 4X4 body mounts and an RPM slash 4X4 front bumper are probably good ideas. I dont think there much room for body adjustments with the stock mounts and bumper.

Im a fan of venom lipos... and SPC has a great rep around here. These brands have a great balance of quality VS price. Feel free to ask any questions, most of us are happy to spew the info weve gathered.

I think tower will likely have the trucks at the same time, if not sooner, than the LHS's... I would think traxxas would ship to their biggest sellers like tower first. But who knows.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the compliment on the 4x4 Stampede choice!

I was thinking of maybe a Proline F350 or another Ford truck body, then paint it navy metallic to resemble Bigfoot. Did that long ago to a Tmaxx and really liked the look. Just a cosmetic mod.

Well, if you don't mind, can you send me or post up a link to a 3S lipo pack that will fit? Will people be running 4S batteries in these like they do with the 1/16th E-revo's?

I have seen the Onyx 230 mentioned as a good charger. Care to share any input on this one or other chargers? I would like to know if anything else is needed.

Thanks...
    Last edited by John1075; 10-27-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    4x4 VXL Stampede on 3S power

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend the thunder ac6 bc it comes with a balancer and charges up to 6s lipo at 5amps
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    THere ya go, way to jump back into the game in style. What body are you looking at? The toughest body ive found that fits a stock stampede is the Proline Hummer SUT body. Its SUPER thick and durable. Most Stadium truck bodies can fit also. If you do plan to run a different body, from what I can tell, getting the slash 4X4 body mounts and an RPM slash 4X4 front bumper are probably good ideas. I dont think there much room for body adjustments with the stock mounts and bumper.

Im a fan of venom lipos... and SPC has a great rep around here. These brands have a great balance of quality VS price. Feel free to ask any questions, most of us are happy to spew the info weve gathered.

I think tower will likely have the trucks at the same time, if not sooner, than the LHS's... I would think traxxas would ship to their biggest sellers like tower first. But who knows.

that hummer body is gonna be sick !
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

You can only run 3S with a VXL ESC... 4S is too high unless you get another ESC like a Mamaba Max Pro... which is really more than the VXL can handle day to day... it would cause alot of heat. But 3S should be more than enough.

Heres a link to what I consider to be 2 great battery choices:
    Venom 5400mah 3S
    SPC 7000mah 3S
    Both of these are a great balance between price and quality. You can definitely get a cheaper 3S pack... its your decision. I prefer to go with a north american company that sells the pack so I know and can trust the warranty.

Generally, going with the best charger you can afford is recommended. Venom makes a nice charger called the Venom Pro... I used it, but it only charges at 5amps max... so any battery over 5000mah will take more than an hour to charge.
    I personally use a Dynamite Passport Ultra. It can charge at 8 amps (which means you can charge up to a 8000mah battery in one hour).
    These 2 chargers both come with balancers and power supplies, basically everything you need in one box.
    Another excellent choice for a charger is a Hyperion... but I havent owned one so I cant comment any further than what ive heard about it.

Might have some trouble finding a ford F350 truck body to fit a pede... unfortunately, pedes are an odd sized vehicle in terms of body fitment. Most 1/10 bodies can be made to fit with a little work or some new/modified body mounts. Check out the 2X4 stampede picture gallery thread to see different bodies that will fit. Bodies that fit the 2X4 will fit the 4X4 also.

Hope this helps man.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all of the info so far, guys. I have a couple more questions.

On average, what kind of run time am I looking at, for a 5000mah, 3s?

Is there a maximum amp that it is recommended to stay within for charging for battery longevity? It would be nice to be able to charge a pack in 30 minutes or so.

If this is the case, being able to charge a 5000mah pack in 30 minutes, what charger would you all recommend for that?

Thanks in advance...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    If you get a charger that can charge at 10a, and a battery that will accept 2c charge rate, then that combo will charge your 5000mah battery in 30 min. or 2 of those batts in about an hour. With the 4x4 drivetrain, I am guessing a high end 5000 would run 20-30 min. with the trigger squeezed tight. Or it may go 45 if you have throttle control. I may be wrong, just a best guestamate from my experiances.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

Most lipos are suggested to be charged at 1C or 1 amp for every 1000mah of capacity. SOME batteries can be charged at 2C (or 2amps for ever 1000mah of capacity) BUT... these are generally much higher end much more expensive batteries. The SPC and Venom batteries I linked you to are designed to be charged at 1C which will take 1 hour. If you charge them any faster you do risk hurting the battery, or in the case of a lipo, possibly causing the pack to puff and possibly catch fire.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, thanks Guys.

RC Enthusiast
    What all should I put together for my r/c toolbox?

I read somewhere that an Emaxx body would work on a Pede. Has anyone tried one? I'm assuming there would have to be some modifications made?

Have any of you tried batteries from H. City? I would like to PM you or feel free to PM me in regards to your experiences.

Thanks guys.

Heres a link to what I consider to be 2 great battery choices:
    Venom 5400mah 3S
    SPC 7000mah 3S
    Both of these are a great balance between price and quality. You can definitely get a cheaper 3S pack... its your decision. I prefer to go with a north american company that sells the pack so I know and can trust the warranty.
    Pave,

I see the Venom, but the link for the SPC is dead. The Venom appears to be slightly larger in height by 17.5mm at a minimum, unless I am reading something wrong, and that is likely, due to me being a newbie. What am I missing?

Thanks man,
    John
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-04-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: merge

The link for the SPC battery just takes you to their home page... if you look around a bit youll find the 7000mah 3S...
    These batteries are both a bit taller than what will fit height wise which will mean using a battery expansion kit or, my plan, is to do a tiny bit of dremmeling and use 2 battery straps, one on the front of the battery and one on the rear... That way I can run any size battery without having to made adjustments.

Most higher capacity 3S batteries will be a bit too tall to fit in the stock battery box height wise... but most will fit length and width wise.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Pave. I wasn't sure where there would or wouldn't be wiggle room, without having any r/c stuff here presently, for reference. It has been around 6 years since I have had an electric. Thanks...

RC Enthusiast
    I am getting antzy waiting for this 4x4 Stampede to arrive. I am thinking about maybe ordering a kit of an old Tamiya Blackfoot to tinker on in the meantime. With the new truck coming with the 2.4ghz radio, could I buy a receiver to install in a Blackfoot and use the Traxxas radio?

RC Enthusiast
    Will I need a special speed controller for it as well?

Thanks man.

Got my work table setup yesterday and got my shelf cleared and an old toolbox out. What do I need to fill the toolbox with? I am already planning a temp gun purchase.

Thanks...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-05-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks man.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys,

I am getting serious and ready to place my battery order. I am looking at a foreign made 3S, 5000mah, 40C pack and the Venom, 3S, 5400 or 5000mah, 20C. Will the foreign made, 40C be noticeably more powerful than the 20C Venom?

Thanks....

Venom makes a 35C 5000mah 3S pack. I just bought 2 of them from Liquid RC for my ERBE and my Pede 4X4... theyre the same size as the 5000mah 3S 20C packs I had....
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Just ordered two of the 40c ********* batteries. Also ordered a Dynamite Passport Ultra per recomendation from Pave. I think I will need some Traxxas connectors for the batteries. Is there anything I will need in order to charge the packs with this charger?

Thanks...