RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Slash/Pede size comparo pic

I just posted this in the opinions thread but I thought it was interesting enough (or may be) to those who believe the new 4X4 Pede and the Slash 4X4 are "the same".
    This pic shows my 2X4 pede and my 2X4 slash MT with the same wheels and same style body. Its pretty clear the 2 are not the same size truck. The slash MT is almost the same size as a revo (but with smaller tires than a revo)...

Its also surprising (to me anyway) just how MUCH smaller the pede really is than a slash with a similar setup. This is exactly why I believe the pede 4X4 has a very valid and useful place in the traxxas linup as opposed to just building a 4X4 slash MT...

Excuse me for cutting into your post, pavementsurfer. The Stampede 2WD and Stampede 4X4 are the same size. Same body, wheels, and tires on both, same wheelbase and width. --Pete

Last edited by PeterV; 10-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    It really blows my mind that the slash didn't hold your interest. What about the 4x4 slash? I think I recall you saying it was slow for your taste, I've resently seen vid of that truck scipping across the water. Its strange cause, I was just starting to find the slash 4x4 to be interesting and also was thinking it may be for me. Now this pede has got me thinking about it and leaving me with questions.
    The first thing I thik of is, I got the REM 1/8 chassis. That is what works for me on a pede and I don't care for the stock size. So, now I'm thinking that this may not be the truck for me. I might be better of going slash cause of the size. What's your input about the slash Pave? How did it not work 4 you
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    WOW! Pave, you had to post this?(not mad but...) I didn't realize it was tis small compared to the slash. It didnt look that small compared to the slash 4x4 at the lhs yesterday.

Edit:Maybe its the stadium truck body and big tires that makes it look small.
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    wow, that is a big difference
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

Let's not jump to conclusions yet guys. I have yet to see the specs so how do we know what the wheel base of the 4x4 Pede is going to be? It might be longer than the 2x4 Pede and Rustler.

Either way I dont think there is any doubt the new 4x4 is a welcome new comer to the Traxxas line up. Something about SC trucks just does not excite me and I have wanted a 4wd truck similar in size to the Rustler. This looks like it will be just that. I am thinking of getting one and transforming it from a Monster truck into something closer to a Stadium truck. Thinking 30 series Badlands and a Desert Rat body from a Rusty.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I can't decide between this, the slash 4x4 or overhauling my emaxx!!! Im going crazy bc I have to decide quick bc I have to get my christmas list to my parents here pretty quick
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    Mustang63 get the stampede 4x4 or get the slash 4x4 and convert it to MT.

you will love it (stampede 4x4 or slash 4x4 MT) thay don't brake at every jump and only take one battery and are easy to put in your car or truck without needing to move stuff around
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Well if I were to get the pede 4x4 I would have to lower the body(Iabsolutley hate how high it is) and but either some masher or badlands on it. I'm only 14 and It will be for christmas and don't know how much I could upgrade
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Champion
    a simple thing for the body is to get one set of thease http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYSM6&P=OW

and then i think that should work or maby you need 2 sets well i don't really know but they are ceap
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Well, maybe idk I can't make up my mind
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    a simple thing for the body is to get one set of thease http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYSM6&P=OW

and then i think that should work or maby you need 2 sets well i don't really know but they are ceap
    My thought on the post set pede has in front is, first see how much you can drop it just buy cutting the posts off. Add the small from slash set. Then if you still need to go lowwer, (and we will) , cut back on the v extending out. It looks like this may leave the center of the body and truck very open to breakage and damage. Even an aftermarket body may need a support bar under the lid. This is something we should start thinking about for when the truck is released. As far as the back goes. Its only gonna go as low as the tower so a high back body may be the favor for the upcoming builds. Hatch back, bronco, suv hummer, even Pave's idea, stadium/sport truck may have the high back for this truck. Guess I just don't see a truck sitting low on this one. The beds are lower than the front so, the movement will be limited.

RC Champion
    I can't wait to see the size of the pede 4x4 in relation to the slash 4x4.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Sorry to bust the bubble, but the current 2wd Stampedes and the Stampede 4x4 VXL (can we shorten that to something like 6708 or 4p4 please?) will be extremely close in both wheelbase and track. If you're looking forward to major size increases, you will be disappointed.
    BTW, the chassis should be about 130 mm wide.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I was looking at a pic of the new pede, the thought crossed my mind to scale it out. Just used the size of vxl can leinth for scale. Looks like the new one is the same as the old. About 15.5-16" b to b. Around 19" with the wheelie bar.

Never scale with only one dimension.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But, it's really easy to guess, the chassis is smaller because they removed the receiver box between the servo and the ESC... Everything else looks almost the same...

(Stampede 4x4 - Slash 4x4)

Also, the lenght can't be much different, the body is still the same, I'm guessing they are using the same mounting holes as the did with the Slash and the Slash 4x4, so, the wheel base is pretty much the same...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    But, it's really easy to guess...
    Guess??? Wow - now I'm insulted.

RC Champion
    only a 6 cell nimh fits now so something must be shorter.

I think, strickly based on how the body (which is the same as the 2X4) fits the truck (and how its still set back about 1 inch too far to look centred they way it should) the truck is very very similar in size... ive starred at the pics for hours now (big surprise right) and to me, based on the body fitment... they look almost the same (2X4 VS 4X4)
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    But, it's really easy to guess, the chassis is smaller because they removed the receiver box between the servo and the ESC... Everything else looks almost the same...

(Stampede 4x4 - Slash 4x4)

Also, the lenght can't be much different, the body is still the same, I'm guessing they are using the same mounting holes as the did with the Slash and the Slash 4x4, so, the wheel base is pretty much the same...

It looks like the length difference is roughly the width of a VXL ESC.
    Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithy
    It looks like the length difference is roughly the width of a VXL ESC.
    Not the ESC but the receiver box. About 36mm short.

Same size as the 2wd.
    I got skills!

RC Qualifier
    The 4x4 pede will probably be the exact same length as the 2wd. Same body.

Best bet is convert a slash 4x4 unless you want a small truck.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Champion
    I sat the 2WD and the 4WD side by side at IHobby and they where pretty much the same length and width. The 4x4 is no where near the size of a Slash.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

I thought I said (almost all of) that.

One interesting thing to look at is how much narrower the 4X4 Pede is... its only as wide as the ESC/battery/driveshaft where the slash has a bunch of extra space on either side. Id guess a few inches narrower minimum.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    i have an extra slash 4x4 roller that im trying so hard not to convert it to a pede 4x4 by cutting the chassis and shaft to make it smaller................
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    One interesting thing to look at is how much narrower the 4X4 Pede is... its only as wide as the ESC/battery/driveshaft where the slash has a bunch of extra space on either side. Id guess a few inches narrower minimum.
    I think the chassis is narrower it can fit inside the narror stampede body. The overalll width (at the tires) looks the same as a 2wd stampede.

RC Champion
    hmm i wounder what the battery tray size is it looks super small its going to be hard to fined batterys for it then
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    hmm i wounder what the battery tray size is it looks super small its going to be hard to fined batterys for it then
    my plan so far is to dremel both ends of the battery holder so a 7 cell flat pack will fit then use velcro straps.

Its not hard to find batteries for it at all... any 7cell hump pack that will fit in a regular stampede will fit, as will any 2S hardcase lipo or any 3S lipo of similar dimensions. Ive got all the batteries I need for my 2X4 and its got the same size battery tray as the 4X4. It jsut wont take flat packs for the slash trucks.

I wonder if it is actually the same width as a 2X4 pede... I have a feelings it may be wider. It uses slash 4X4 arms, which are the same width as the stampede 2X4 rear arms, but it uses front offset wheels all the way around. So, its possible its as wide as a truck with a wide conversion or protrac kit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxhoundEP3
    i have an extra slash 4x4 roller that im trying so hard not to convert it to a pede 4x4 by cutting the chassis and shaft to make it smaller................
    I don't remember who, but someone did this to his Slash 4x4 chassis (on the left)...

Last edited by danielhr77; 10-26-2010 at 01:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Well I think I'm gonna get a slash 4x4 and make it a mt bc I like the size better and with some good tires It should do pretty good for what I need.

And that is a mt that has tons of power that uses 1 battery and 1 motor, but dont get me wrong I still love my maxx. I just think that the overall size of the Pede 4x4 is too small for me
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang63
    Well I think I'm gonna get a slash 4x4 and make it a mt bc I like the size better and with some good tires It should do pretty good for what I need.

And that is a mt that has tons of power that uses 1 battery and 1 motor, but dont get me wrong I still love my maxx. I just think that the overall size of the Pede 4x4 is too small for me
    I wouldn't say "tons" of power.

RC Champion
    I'm a rebel...
    The 2wd Pede is a Monster Truck. The Emaxx is a bigger Monster Truck. The Slash 4x4 is a unique Short Course racing truck, that really only represents that racing class, and not a real truck.

Personally I'd like to see someone Mod the New Pede 4x4 into something more Scale looking, like a street truck modded for off-roading. Tamiya has some good examples, but I'll use this REALLY old design as a reference, and I'd love to see someone make one like this on the Pede 4x4 chasis...

http://www.tamiya101.com/model_info.asp?id=27

Maybe someone can use the Summit body to make a realistic looking truck, .... I personally do NOT like the super high body of this new rig. And I think it should be called the Slash 4x4 MT, not the 4x4 Stampede.... The Pede is a legend in itself, and IMHO should be left alone, or lightly updated with tires, body, bumpers etc. Don't mess with a CLASSIC ! Now don't get me wrong, I would get this new one over the Slash 4x4 purely for it's off road capability versus the Slash 4x4, but I think we would all like to see the REAL Stampede tweaked up a bit, and not just slap it's name on a modded Slash 4x4. But then again Traxxas did not ask for my opinion... lol

1. Slash 4x4 SC - Done. Great.
    2. Slash 4x4 MT - Done. Great. (2010 called the Stampede 4x4)
    3. Slash 4x4 Rally - Want it.
    4. Slash 4x4 TC/On-Road - Want it.
    5. Slash 4x4 Rustler Body - interesting concept, 4x4 Stadium Truck.
    6. Slash 4x4 Bandit Body - interesting concept, 4x4 Buggy like the B44.

5. Original Stampede - Tweak it up, body, tires, bumpers, scale looks, follow the recent trend towards scale rigs.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    Maybe someone can use the Summit body to make a realistic looking truck, ....
    Like my Summit SUV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUvkVKxxEE

This thread has been cleaned up. Let's stay on topic and sop the bickering.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang63

I changed my mind again and I'm back to the pede 4x4
    Vxl Slash
    Xerun E-Maxx
    HT Aftershock

RC Qualifier
    The reasoning between choosing one or the other seems pretty simple.

Stampede 4x4. Shorter truck. Narrow Body. Lots of wheelies

Slash 4x4. Longer Truck. Wide Parachute Body. Fewer wheelies. To become MT, will need tires and possibly a new body.