Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Rally with aftermarket wheels/tires.

Those are just a few that I've tried. Overall I think once I get to paint my own body, this thing will look pretty good.

-melon

P.S. Anyone who was hoping to use Tamiya M-Class wheels, the bad news is they don't fit.

RC Champion
    Have you tried the Tamiya Rally block yet ?

Morten
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    I haven't ran them on the car yet, but I did mount them up already. They're the largest tire out of all the ones I've tried. They really fill up the fender well. I'll have to see if there is any rubbing issues with the body at the stock height.

-melon

RC Champion
    Well dirt racing usually means higher ground clearance

Btw I found my block tires ...Looked almost like slicks

Morten
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    Holy crap this thing is fun! It works excellent at simulating those tight low speed drifts Ken Block does in his videos. The car is definitely on the loose side at almost all speeds. At high speed it's sketchy for sure I wish I had someone to operate my camera so I could get some video.

-melon

RC Racer
    Great sets of tires/rims! This will definitely be the route I take, have a few sets for different conditions because the stockers just won't cut it from what i've seen through videos. If you could, please post up the exact tires and rims you've tried, i'd love to look at my options... never owned a car yet so i'm still new to the game.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Racer
    any of those tires help with the grip? id like to get some tire that give it alot better traction for when i dont want to drift the car. BTW those rims in the 2nd pic look sweet with the black. (thats the one i have)
    BB Merv 4s EMaxx MMM 6s
    Revo 3.3
    Associated RC8

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the compliments.

I haven't ran the car with anything but the stockers so far. However, I've mounted up two types of Tamiya wheels. The ones that come on the DF03ra Rally car, and the white set you see pictured. I think they're the rims that came on one of the older body style BMWs. The BMW wheels may need a little bit of clearancing. They have a lot of webbing inside the wheel that may interfere with the hub power. I can't for the life of me remember what the gray wheels are, but if I had to guess they're HPI Racing. I've mounted up some other Pro-line, Take Off pre-mounts and HPI wheels. So far I haven't seen any issues.

As for grippy street tires, when the surface isn't clean enough for slicks, I've always had good luck the HPI Racing Advan A038 belted tires. I'm sure there are other tires that work great on un-groomed surfaces, but these are some I've used personally.

-melon

RC Competitor

1/24, 1/16, 1/10, 1/10 Super, 1/9.

-melon

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by angrymelon

-melon
    What is that 1/9 scale one it looks way sweet and i might consider nitro if it come with a cool citroen body
    Cars can fly too!

RC Competitor
    Nice collection of Rallys, now all you need is something in between the Traxxas and the Losi - like a 1/18th Vendetta Rally.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
    Theres 2 tires that i've googled for and i cant seem to find. its the Tamiya and the HPI tire to the right of it... Cant seem to find either of them anywhere, and i'd love to put them on and run them on my Rally.

Could some one slide me a link to buy them? i'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by ChaosShadow00x; 01-26-2011 at 11:26 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosShadow00x View Post
    Theres 2 tires that i've googled for and i cant seem to find. its the Tamiya and the HPI tire to the right of it... Cant seem to find either of them anywhere, and i'd love to put them on and run them on my Rally.

Tamiya 1.9" Block Soft Rally Tires

HPI Racing Rally Tire M Compound

Traxxas Tires BF Goodrich Rally

Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    Beautiful rally collection! I think you need a nice Focus in there lol And thanks for the breakdown on your tire collection, i'll be sure to get a set or two of those.
    Mini Summit / Rally

Those are just a few that I've tried. Overall I think once I get to paint my own body, this thing will look pretty good.

-melon

P.S. Anyone who was hoping to use Tamiya M-Class wheels, the bad news is they don't fit.
    What wheels are those?
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 10-26-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Great info and collection Melon.

I was thinking that if I get a Rally VXL, I would make it as close to a WRC gravel set up as I could. Add the longer Revo VXL shocks, rally offroad tyres and just trim the wheel arches slightly to that the larger fit more easily. Would be really greatful for some pics with the offroad tyres.

PM sent BTW. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Nice collection indeed....Love that Subaru...
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Competitor
    As requested.

The good news is, despite that the tires rub on the foam, it would be simple to make room. The second piece of good news is, the tires don't seem to rub on the fender wells when turned either direction.

The bad news is, I just noticed that some of my wheels have deeper 12mm hex holes than the stock ones. This causes them to bind a little on the hub. This could be resolved a couple of ways: 1) A simple thin spacer between the hex and the wheel. 2) Sand down the hex on the wheel to simply reduce it's depth.

-melon

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    What wheels are those?
    The white wheels are Tamiya and I think the gray wheels are HPI.

-melon

Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    Great info and collection Melon.

I was thinking that if I get a Rally VXL, I would make it as close to a WRC gravel set up as I could. Add the longer Revo VXL shocks, rally offroad tyres and just trim the wheel arches slightly to that the larger fit more easily. Would be really greatful for some pics with the offroad tyres.

PM sent BTW. Thanks!
    I don't think you'd need to get the Revo shocks. It's my understanding that the shock bodies and shafts are identical, the Rally just comes with limiters inside the shock that can be removed.

-melon
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-27-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    As requested.

The good news is, despite that the tires rub on the foam, it would be simple to make room. The second piece of good news is, the tires don't seem to rub on the fender wells when turned either direction.

The bad news is, I just noticed that some of my wheels have deeper 12mm hex holes than the stock ones. This causes them to bind a little on the hub. This could be resolved a couple of ways: 1) A simple thin spacer between the hex and the wheel. 2) Sand down the hex on the wheel to simply reduce it's depth.

-melon

The white wheels are Tamiya and I think the gray wheels are HPI.

-melon

I don't think you'd need to get the Revo shocks. It's my understanding that the shock bodies and shafts are identical, the Rally just comes with limiters inside the shock that can be removed.

-melon
    Have you driven it offroad with those tires?
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
    as requested.

the good news is, despite that the tires rub on the foam, it would be simple to make room. The second piece of good news is, the tires don't seem to rub on the fender wells when turned either direction.

The bad news is, i just noticed that some of my wheels have deeper 12mm hex holes than the stock ones. This causes them to bind a little on the hub. This could be resolved a couple of ways: 1) a simple thin spacer between the hex and the wheel. 2) sand down the hex on the wheel to simply reduce it's depth.

-melon

the white wheels are tamiya and i think the gray wheels are hpi.

-melon

i don't think you'd need to get the revo shocks. It's my understanding that the shock bodies and shafts are identical, the rally just comes with limiters inside the shock that can be removed.

-melon
    what wheels and tires are those tamiya tires i want to get a set of those tires.. Are their other rims they fit onto so i wouldnt have the binding hub issue?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosShadow00x View Post

http://www.hpiracing.com/press/pr4468.htm

Not sure if you can get them anywhere easily. I lucked out at a local hobby shop that still had some sets hanging on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by tirado_881 View Post
    what wheels and tires are those tamiya tires i want to get a set of those tires.. Are their other rims they fit onto so i wouldnt have the binding hub issue?
    The wheels that the Tamiya Rally Block tires are mounted onto are the stock Tamiya wheels from my DF03RA. I believe they have the deep hexes that rub. It's hard to say which wheels will work without issue. If memory serves, I believe all of my HPI wheels have shallow hexes so they don't interfere.

-melon

RC poster

Cool

do these tamiya tires fit on the stock wheels/rims ?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 6a6iii View Post
    do these tamiya tires fit on the stock wheels/rims ?
    Which tires are you referring to? Pretty much any of the 24/26mm tires will fit.

-melon

RC poster
    the tamiya rally tires

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I tried an experiment yesterday, I cut the stock tires. Using a Dremel cutting blade, I cut by extending the existing tread grooves continuously across the full tire face. I cut and extended each and every groove diagonally, then did the same to the grooves oriented 90 opposite. After cutting all 4 tires this way, the tread pattern looks like a bunch of little diamonds. The drifts are so much easier to control, there is more forward traction and the car did not lose any of its intended rally feel.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    I tried an experiment yesterday, I cut the stock tires. Using a Dremel cutting blade, I cut by extending the existing tread grooves continuously across the full tire face. I cut and extended each and every groove diagonally, then did the same to the grooves oriented 90 opposite. After cutting all 4 tires this way, the tread pattern looks like a bunch of little diamonds. The drifts are so much easier to control, there is more forward traction and the car did not lose any of its intended rally feel.
    That sounds good. The WRC gravel tyres are diamond shaped blocks, with the grooves between going diagonally across the tyre.

Have you got any pics of your work??

Ta for the shock info Melon

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    That sounds good. The WRC gravel tyres are diamond shaped blocks, with the grooves between going diagonally across the tyre.

Have you got any pics of your work??
    +1

Ta for the shock info Melon
    It looks awesome with those rally tyres
    How hard is the VXL tyres compared to the Tamiya rally block ?

Morten
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoopMaxx
    It looks awesome with those rally tyres
    How hard is the VXL tyres compared to the Tamiya rally block ?

Morten
    The stock Traxxas tires are definetely a harder compound than the rally block tires. The Traxxas tires also have fairly stiff foams in them.

-melon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyBQoImQ-XA

-melon
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-27-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    im new to all this so can you tell me how you make your own posts?
    thank you

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice vid Melon. Great slow mo action too. Nice to see those tyres scrabbling at the ground to get traction and the suspension articulating.

From Post 8, I like the look of the HPI off road tyres. The set to the left of the Rally Block have a much finer tread. One thing that always looks a little odd to me is the size of the tread blocks on the Tamiya tyres. Bet that means they bite well on loose surfaces.

NICE stuff Angrymelon! In fact, I just tweeted a link to your vid! If you want to follow Traxxas, go to www.twitter.com/traxxas

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    What offset is correct for this car... HPI makes offsets in 3 6 and 9... I have a set of 9 offset wheels I bought for another project and they stick out along way... but the stock Rally wheels look like they may be 0 offset. Is this true? Just need to know what to buy.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    What offset is correct for this car... HPI makes offsets in 3 6 and 9... I have a set of 9 offset wheels I bought for another project and they stick out along way... but the stock Rally wheels look like they may be 0 offset. Is this true? Just need to know what to buy.
    X2 Cause Hpi makes some wheels that am really liking with the offset pavmentsurfer mention and hopping they fit the Rally

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    I'm not quite sure how they come up with some of the offset numbers, but just eyeballing them compared to some of the other HPI (and others) wheels I have they're 0-offset.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    3-is fine and will work on the Rally

6-is right on the fenders front or back, maybe adding some negative camber with clear the tire from rubbing the body.

9-is just to much and the tire will stick out of the body

RC Racer
    Correct = neg-3 clears fine, neg-6 rubs the fenderwells

Quote Originally Posted by CESAR View Post
    3-is fine and will work on the Rally

6-is right on the fenders front or back, maybe adding some negative camber with clear the tire from rubbing the body.

9-is just to much and the tire will stick out of the body

RC Competitor
    Just finished about 4-5 hours of rippin up the indoor shagg at LHS.I'm new to onroad so was completely stock till LHS owner threw some Jaco blues at me and said"try these" WOW!!

Was no longer drifting around corners man was it a blast!!

.........gosharpie97.
    Traxxas Rally
    Hpi Blitz ESE
    Jammin SCRT10
    Ve8

RC Qualifier
    Here's mine. I really like the stock wheels/tires, but they wear pretty quickly on high grip tarmac. I got these today, and they'll probably wear really quickly and not slide very well. But we'll see tomorrow!

Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pics on my pool table...

Please keep all images to a size of 640 x 480 pixels or smaller.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-04-2010 at 08:22 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2
    Here's mine. I really like the stock wheels/tires, but they wear pretty quickly on high grip tarmac. I got these today, and they'll probably wear really quickly and not slide very well. But we'll see tomorrow!
    Wow, love the looks of those wheels! Which ones?
    Also, do I see a gopro mount on the roof? Got any videos?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC5.2

Sorry for the crappy cell-phone pics on my pool table...

Please keep all images to a size of 640 x 480 pixels or smaller.
    -ksb51rl
    I am using the same thing and they are awsome on my freshly paved street.
    Only difference is I have hpi tires on the rims now as they wore out in about 4sets of 3s packs, I was driving it full throttle most of the time.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work