Summit VXL press release and pics

Here's the copy from the official press release. Street price will be about $319:

The innovative, award-winning Summit is now available in 1/16 scale, with multi-terrain versatility, extreme brushless power, and aggressive off-road styling that could only come from Traxxas. The 1/16 Summit VXL’s just-right size lets you enjoy rock-roosting fun anywhere, anytime. Summit VXL brings big fun into small places without sacrificing speed or precision. New, extreme-duty driveshafts transfer high-torque VXL brushless horsepower to the wheels for speeds over 25mph right out of the box with the
    included Power Cell battery. Experience 40+mph when you install an optional second battery and Traxxas Speed Connector! Canyon AT™ tires on beadlock-style Geode™ wheels combine with the ExoCage body for a rugged look that’s backed up by Summit VXL’s exciting all-terrain performance.

Extreme Velineon Brushless Power & Waterproof Electronics
    The 1/16 Summit’s high-power Velineon® 380 brushless motor is the largest in its class and uses high-strength Neodymium magnets, a sintered rotor, and high-rpm ball bearings for lasting performance. The VXL 3m speed control features the latest low-resistance/ high-current FETs and Traxxas’ exclusive High-Current Connector for ultra-efficient power flow. Built-in Low Voltage Detection makes the Velineon VXL-3m ready for 2S and 3S LiPo packs. Fully waterproof electronics are a Traxxas exclusive that opens the door to fun in mud, snow, and other wet conditions that send other trucks back to the bench. Down the trail, on the track, or right in your backyard, 1/16 Summit VXL is the fast and fun go-anywhere truck that does it all. It’s just what you expect from Traxxas, The Fastest Name In Radio Control.

1/16 Summit VXL Features:
    • Fully assembled and Ready-To-Race®
    • 25+mph with included battery
    • 40+mph* with dual batteries!
    • 2.2” Geode Wheels and Canyon AT Tires
    • Full-time 4WD
    • Super Duty Dual-CV Telescoping Driveshafts
    • Long-Travel Rockers
    • Powerful Velineon 380 brushless motor
    • Velineon VXL-3m waterproof electronic speed control
    • Accepts 6-cell flat NiMH and 2- or 3-cell LiPo packs
    • LiPo and NiMH compatible with two-stage low-voltage detection
    • Includes Traxxas Power Cell battery pack and charger
    • Includes optional pinion gear for 40+mph operation*
    • Traxxas High-Current Connectors
    • High-torque waterproof steering servo
    • Ball-bearing transmission
    • Sealed, silicone-filled differentials
    • Adjustable Torque-Control™ slipper clutch
    • Precision high-quality hex hardware throughout
    • Efficient rubber-sealed ball bearings
    • Fully adjustable, oil-filled GTR Shocks™
    • TQ 2.4GHz High Output 2-channel radio system with Traxxas Link
    *40+mph using second Traxxas Power Cell battery pack and series adapter (both sold separately).

RC Qualifier
    PeterV, With all these vehicles out... which one is your favorite?
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

PeterV is old school. Im betting he is still a revo 3.3 man.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    PeterV is old school. Im betting he is still a revo 3.3 man.
    hahahahaha
    Sony Action Camera, My new toy

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cool !!! I like it.
    Thanks traxxas.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 10-22-2010 at 08:22 PM.

I just peeped the video on the home page - It does a kool back flip. Then chases a 1/10 summit down some rocks. In truth its 3-5 mph faster that then 1/10 summit(25mph vs 22mph) , so who would really be chasing who? - Why am I so excited?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Kinda strange - I always asked traxxas to make a brushless waterproof summit - eerrr didnt quite expext this --- but it'll do
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Ha your already missing a body clip in the first pic! Seriously thought great job guys. Spot on!!
    Trust me...I'm a Doctor

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When is it going to be available?

RC Champion
    I wonder if there will be a brushed version available. It would be cool if they made a brushed version with a Titan 550. I don't like how much my 1/16 Slash VXL cogs when I try to go slow offroad, so I don't think I'd like the VXL in the mini Summit. I'd rather have a lot of torque and no cogging than high speed.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas
    I wonder if there will be a brushed version available. It would be cool if they made a brushed version with a Titan 550. I don't like how much my 1/16 Slash VXL cogs when I try to go slow offroad, so I don't think I'd like the VXL in the mini Summit. I'd rather have a lot of torque and no cogging than high speed.
    I agree with you man, I believe there will be a brushed version for this very fact.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

a brushed version for crawling is a good idea but you would have to go back in time, literally.

when the original mini erevo came out it was brushed with the XL5 and a 550 titan motor, which was quickly upgraded to the VXL brushless. I doubt traxxas will take the mini summit backed to brushed. If you notice in the video its selling point is speed not crawling. But that doesnt stop us from installing our own XL5 esc and 550 motor .
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    a brushed version for crawling is a good idea but you would have to go back in time, literally.

when the original mini erevo came out it was brushed with the XL5 and a 550 titan motor, which was quickly upgraded to the VXL brushless. I doubt traxxas will take the mini summit backed to brushed. If you notice in the video its selling point is speed not crawling. But that doesnt stop us from installing our own XL5 esc and 550 motor .
    The 1/16 E-Revo never came with an XL5 and Titan 550. There is a brushed version though, sold along side the VXL version. It uses the XL2.5 ESC and Titan 380 motor. It was not released before the VXL version though. It was released as a cheaper alternative to the VXL, and it is still available. Since Traxxas currently makes brushed and brushless versions of the 1/16 E-Revo and Slash, I see no reason they wouldn't do it with the 1/16 Summit.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 10-23-2010 at 02:09 AM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Racer
    i hope they offer more then just red and blue

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Red one for me.

Boone722
    Traxxas !! Has done it again. What one to purchase?Get em all... Great job.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan
    Red one for me.
    Everyone knows the blue ones are better.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I want one!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

The 1/16 E-Revo never came with an XL5 and Titan 550. There is a brushed version though, sold along side the VXL version. It uses the XL2.5 ESC and Titan 380 motor. It was not released before the VXL version though. It was released as a cheaper alternative to the VXL, and it is still available. Since Traxxas currently makes brushed and brushless versions of the 1/16 E-Revo and Slash, I see no reason they wouldn't do it with the 1/16 Summit.
    I stand corrected, thank you for enlightening me.

But, ( If I am not incorrect this time), the VXL ESC is sensored. So instead of going back to the stone ages and inserting a less efficient, non lipo ready brushed system it would be better to simply buy a sensored brushless 550 motor (novak) and a sensor wire and enjoy the best of both worlds. Brushless and smooth crawling.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

But, ( If I am not incorrect this time), the VXL ESC is sensored. So instead of going back to the stone ages and inserting a less efficient, non lipo ready brushed system it would be better to simply buy a sensored brushless 550 motor (novak) and a sensor wire and enjoy the best of both worlds. Brushless and smooth crawling.
    We talking about the 3s or the 3m?

Like the one that does pretty well in the original Summit?
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Champion

The VXL 3m, the one in the 1/16 vehicles, is not a sensored ESC. So you would need a new ESC along with the sensored motor. While that will be something some people want to do, personally I would rather just have a cheaper brushed system in it, like the big Summit. Also if you're just going to buy a new sensored BL ESC and motor for it anyway, it would make more sense to buy a cheaper brushed 1/16 in the first place. Also about the LiPo cutoff, the new XL-5 ESC has a LiPo cutoff, so I'm betting Traxxas will update all of thier brushed ESC's to include an LVC.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Champion
    I agree with Rob.. The 550 brushed motor would be a great setup for the Summit. I personally like the little summit better than it's big brother. I'm actually glad they got rid of the 2 Speed and all the locking diffs. Always seems unnecessary to me...

Drop the 550 in the Summit and sell it for $199 and I'm all over it... I'll buy a pair so the kid can run with me..
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    What's the difference between a 1/16 summit, and a mini revo with larger wheels/tires?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=john01374] I personally like the little summit better than it's big brother. I'm actually glad they got rid of the 2 Speed and all the locking diffs. Always seems unnecessary to me...
    QUOTE]

Really that's what makes a Summit a Summit not an E-Revo.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner
    What's the difference between a 1/16 summit, and a mini revo with larger wheels/tires?
    I believe the only differences are the body and body mounts, wheels/tires, bumpers, long travel rockers, springs, driveshafts, and the summit comes stock with the MERVs optional extended wheelbase rear arms. There may be others I'm not sure.

Edit: Forgot gearing, the Summit comes 16/50 stock.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 10-25-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I believe the only differences are the body and body mounts, wheels/tires, bumpers, long travel rockers, springs, driveshafts, and the summit comes stock with the MERVs optional extended wheelbase rear arms. There may be others I'm not sure.

Edit: Forgot gearing, the Summit comes 16/50 stock.
    What would be different about the driveshafts? Are they beefier, or are you just talking about the longer ones diff to wheel for the rear extended arms. I didn't know there were extended rear arms for the merv, I could definitely use some of those, and some stouter driveshafts. Is there a full array of rockers available for the merv like the full size revo yet? P1, P2, and P3? I don't think I want LT rockers, but would like to test out some other ones. I wish the msummit had the locking diffs. I would surely start saving for one, or convert my merv.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    yes a brushed would be cool, i can put my 27t or 55 turn axial motor in it