RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

4X4 has sealed diffs... anyone else notice.

I was reading over the features and stuff.... over and over... hehe... and i noticed the 4X4 comes with sealed revo spec diffs. This means we can tune diff action with different silicone oils.

Just thought that was excellent news.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    i did notice it said revo spec diffs

The Slash 4x4 has Revo diffs too. It stands to reason.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    It is the same set up that is in the 4x4 Slash. Actually it is almost the same truck. From what I can tell it is the same except for the chassis being shorter.
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    The chassis is shorter and comes up a bit higher then the slash chassis so it will have more ground clearence then a monster slash.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit

RC Champion
    Pave.. Everyone knows you are excited.. LOL.. but its just a rebadged Slash 4x4 man.. you know all the specs of that truck.. its all the same.. LOL.. except MAYBE they will have better rear axles at release and a bigger bearing for the slipper/center diff..
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1
    Pave.. Everyone knows you are excited.. LOL.. but its just a rebadged Slash 4x4 man.. you know all the specs of that truck.. its all the same.. LOL.. except MAYBE they will have better rear axles at release and a bigger bearing for the slipper/center diff..
    I agree 100%! I think we'll find out that 99% of the parts are the same. Traxxas isn't going to completely retool to make the 4x4 Pede. It makes good business sense to use as many parts as they can that they already have.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by demons revo
    The chassis is shorter and comes up a bit higher then the slash chassis so it will have more ground clearence then a monster slash.
    umm where did you fined it has a higher chassis???
    because i can't fined any where they say it and im sure traxxas would say it like a ton if it did
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

I know its a rebadged AND SHORTER slash 4X4... I owned a 4X4 for a day and didnt like it. Part of what I didnt like was the fact that it was too big for my type of use. I had a slash 2X4 MT truck and liked how it worked, but it was also too big. The pede is the perfect size for me... and the majority of the bashing I do. Which is why I wanted a pede 4X4 so bad. I cant believe everyone gets so caught up on WHERE The parts for this truck come from. Who cares if they come from the 4X4... its not like all other trucks on the market dont have a weak link or two that need to be fixed. Ill build a cover for the drive shaft, do the slipper bearing mod and whatever else needs to be worked on. End of the day, i finally have a 4X4 truck thats the perfect size to keep in the back seat of my truck for those "impromptu" bash sessions... which is why I love my 2X4 pede so much.

I had no idea the Slash 4X4 had sealed diffs... I didnt spend much time with it and I dont frequent the slash 4X4 forum much so it was a surprise to me... and im glad we can finally tune the diff action on a stampede.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Ahh.. I thought you had a 4x4 longer than that.. I guess i was wrong..

It doesnt matter to me where the parts come from at all either... I just thought you knew the specs better on the 4x4. I didnt mean to come off in a bad way.. First thought I had when I saw this truck was that YOU were going to be excited... I also instantly thought YOU would be first in doing the MMM/2650... LOL.. I never really have been a fan of the Stampede,as I am more of a track guy than a basher. I HATED the amount of bench time the Slash 4x4 required to keep it running smooth and track worthy... so likely I wont own a 'Pede 4x4, but i will be interested to see where you guys take them, mod wise.. Sorry again, didnt mean to put you on the spot.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

No worries, I guess im just getting gun shy from all the people bashing this truck before it even hits the ground. So many people seem upset because its a slash drivetrain. I just dont get it. Traxxas gives us exactly what weve been asking for but its not done exactly the way some people thought it would be and people get upset about it.

Again, im sorry if my reply came off annoyed. Im not annoyed at you. I think one good thing about the platforms being similar is any fixes for one will work on the other. Its not like all our 2X4 trucks done have a number of weak links. Weve all just accepted them and become accustomed to fixing them. To me, the 4X4's weak links are no different. But time will tell... who knows... maybe I dont like the 4X4 pede the same way i didnt like the 4X4 slash... wouldent that be a coup.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

You can really get a lot of different action from the different oil weights. I have the same weight front and rear in my Slash 4x4. I do a lot of hill climbs and like the added traction. Might eventually get another diff to put 500,000 wt oil in just to see how it acts.

RC Racer
    Does anyone else see the cool little front driveshaft protectors on the front arms? look at the front shot on the traxxas main page
    Cars can fly too!

I wonder how those little deflectors mount... and if theyd mount to RPM Slash 4X4 arms...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

I wonder why they didn't put any on the rear. Seems to me that the rear shocks are going to collect more debris than the fronts would. If you're going to put them on the front, it seems a little negligent to leave them off the rear. I know we could probably mount them on the rear ourselves, but that just makes this truck kind of seem like one which is only partially complete.
    I kind of like this truck, but basically, as others have said, it's just a Slash 4x4 with some new clothes. I think that people are disappointed because they were expecting something... more, rather than just a rehashed Slash. If it were it's own vehicle, which the Pede pretty much has been up until this point, I think people would have been happier with what they're seeing. However, when they just release another Slash, more or less, I'd expect the kind of reaction we're seeing. It's a decent looking truck and all, but it just looks like more of the same to me. This gets 5 out of 10 points, and a yawn from me, but that's just my 2.

As for the diffs, are they new diffs, and actually sealed, or are they just the same "revo-spec" diffs we're already familiar with?
    Last edited by TAT2; 10-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    99%er

They are on the rear too...
    Thanks to the newly updated 4X4 pede photo gallery on its page, it looks like the deflectors mount with the lower shock mount bolt and another screw further inward on the Aarm... which means with one small hole in the RPM arm the deflectors will mount right up.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    They are on the rear too...
    Thanks to the newly updated 4X4 pede photo gallery on its page, it looks like the deflectors mount with the lower shock mount bolt and another screw further inward on the Aarm... which means with one small hole in the RPM arm the deflectors will mount right up.
    Looks lke where teh sway bars would mount.. that inner hole... hmm.. with the top heavy nature of being a stampede.. i think sway bars will be far more useful than debris guards..
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    umm where did you fined it has a higher chassis???
    because i can't fined any where they say it and im sure traxxas would say it like a ton if it did
    just watch the video on youtube. the traxxas employee literally "said" it has a higher chassis.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

Remember guys, you can always hit me up at pvieira(at)traxxas.com if you have any questions about a new release that the resouces at traxxas.com don't seem to answer. Send me a link to the thread and I'll jump in.

Stampede 4X4 has higher ground clearance than Slash 4X4 by virtue of its taller tires. The chassis' sides also rise up from the driveshaft to a greater extent than the Slash 4X4, giving it additional clearance. If you take the wheels off the Stampede 4X4 and Slash 4X4 and put them on a flat surface, you'll see they actually have the same amount of clearance as measured by the distance from the bottom of the front and rear gearboxes to the lowest point on the chassis. We can't go any higher, because the driveshaft has to run from gearbox to gearbox (well, we could go higher, but that would just require a taller "tunnel" to enclose the shaft. All you would be doing is raising the CG, with no benefit in actual ground clearance).

Here's what separates a Stampede 4X4 from a Slash 4X4:
    - New chassis
    - New center driveshaft (shorter than Slash 4X4)
    - Black-chrome All-Star wheels (Same as Stampede VXL)
    - Talon tires (Same as Stampede VXL)
    - Front and rear Shock Guards (note, you CAN run these with the optional swaybars)
    - Stampede 4X4-specific suspension settings and diff settings
    - Stampede 2WD receiver box
    - New gearing to accomodate bigger tires
    - New front and rear bumpers
    - New body mounts
    - Wheelie bar
    - Stampede body (same as 2WD Stampede but with 4X4-specific graphics)

Everything else is shared with Slash 4X4, including any running changes we've made along the way to materials or parts details to improve durability or performance.

Now, I know some of you guys think that using the Slash 4X4 as the basis of the Stampede 4X4 is a cheat, and every car should be a whole new platform. But when you've designed what you feel is the best solution to the problems posed by 4WD, why would you design something different just for the sake of difference? All you'll do is add cost (now you have a new part to tool) with no benefit or perhaps a reduction in benefit because making the part different also made it heavier, or less strong, or otherwise less than ideal.

The parts sharing between Slash 4X4 and Stampede 4X4 is pure benefit. It lets us offer the Stampede 4X4 for the same price as the Slash 4X4. If you have a Slash 4X4 already, you can share spare parts with the Stampede 4X4. Ditto for dealers; most of their Slash 4X4 parts can also be sold to Stampede 4X4 customers.

If an existing part can keep your cost low, your convenience high, and offer you all the fun, performance, and durability we strive for at Traxxas, then we'll use the existing part. But if only a new part (or a whole new platform) will do, rest assured, Traxxas will step up.
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-26-2010 at 05:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. Thanks for clearing everything up Peter.
    More RC's than most of the people here.

RC Champion
    so wait the stampede has more ground clearance even if you run the same tires on each truck and if you have all the shock's mounted in the same holes???
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

1slash, with the same wheels and tires and shock mounting the 2 would have the same overall ground clearance.

Id shake your hand if I could peter...

Question, are the motor plate and motor mount the same on the 2? Ive ordered a new motor plate for my Pre-ordered pede 4X4 already and want to order the traxxas blue aluminum mount as well.

Will the 4X4 bumpers mount up front and rear? I assume they will being that the front and rear gear boxes are the same, therefore the bumper mounts would be the same.

Does the VXL ESC mount tab share a mount location with the servo? (one does holds both down)

Is it wider than a 2X4 pede total width?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    pave the slash 4x4 bumpers should work fine on the stampede. (lol i think that was the Q)
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Question, are the motor plate and motor mount the same on the Slash 4X4 and Stampede 4X4?
    Yes, same parts. The optional versions fit both trucks too.

Will the 4X4 bumpers mount up front and rear?
    Yep. AND, if you look closely, you'll see that the Stampede's bumper includes a shortie "bumperette" that's perfect for a 1/8 buggy conversion of your Slash 4X4.

Does the VXL ESC mount tab share a mount location with the servo? (one screw holds both down)
    Good eye. One of the ESC's mounting lugs is positioned over the steering servo's mounting ear, so one screw goes through both the lug and the ear.

Is the 4X4 wider than a 2X4 pede total width?
    Nope, same width and wheelbase. Same body mount locations too, so if you have a 2WD Stampede body you like, it'll fit the 4X4 too.

RC Racer
    I love hearing about "ground clearance" MFGs always rate the highest spot.
    What matters is the lowest spot. Thats what gets hung up.

If the center of the truck is 9 inches high and the bottom of the arm is 1 inch.....you will get hung up on that 1 inch.( sometimes)

I suspect the 4x4 slash and the new pede using the same tires have the same minimum clearance.

That is exactly correct, as I posted previously. But WITH tires, Stampede has MORE ground clearance than Slash 4X4. --Pete

Having most, or the middle high is better then nothing...but the lowest point is what really matters.

I wish ALL MFG would list minimum ground clearance rather then max spot on kit.

Most R/C drivers get hung up because they "high center": for example, the front wheels get over the rock, but then the chassis isn't high enough to straddle it and keep the rear wheels on the ground. One or both drive wheels gets lifted, so you can't keep rolling. This is why a 2WD Stampede can handle bigger obstacles than a 2WD Rustler, even though their minimum ground clearance is very similar. Most people, if they care at all, want to know how high an obstacle the front and rear ends of the car can straddle. --Pete

I.E. was running my summit at construction site.Low gear crawling slow.I went over a block with some rebar sticking out of it.Bar was like 2.2 inches long only sticking straight up.
    Even thought at that time, truck ride hight was ALL the way up. the rebar got caught 1/4 inch from the tire inside edge and hung up on the lower arm ( LOWEST ground clearance point)

Pete V if you read this, list min AND max hights please.I for one, would like to know what I can REALLY go over.
    Last edited by PeterV; 10-27-2010 at 10:30 AM.

You gotta drive smarter. In the ATV world ground clearance is measured from the lowest point at the centre line of the vehicle. This is standard. measuring from the bottom of the wheel side of the Aarm (arguably the lowest point of any vehicle) the only way to increase ground clearance would be larger tires... Learning how to drive over obstacles and maximize the ground clearance you do have will make the most of any vehicle.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    You gotta drive smarter. In the ATV world ground clearance is measured from the lowest point at the centre line of the vehicle. This is standard. measuring from the bottom of the wheel side of the Aarm (arguably the lowest point of any vehicle) the only way to increase ground clearance would be larger tires... Learning how to drive over obstacles and maximize the ground clearance you do have will make the most of any vehicle.
    Thank you so much for that common sense advice.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Sadly you can not always drive "smart"

Not gonna argue that... which is why they make replacement parts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ