RC Qualifier

Rally VXL on 6s!

Muahaha!!!

Mamba Max Pro
    Neu 1415 1.5d (2700kv)
    Two 3s packs in series

Last edited by trx33; 10-20-2010 at 08:51 PM.

RC Champion
    well where is the video of this over killed mini!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    I would take a video, but with this much power, the hard compound tires are USELESS!!

I need to get some soft compound tires ASAP!

RC Qualifier
    Did you run it yet don't see your battery doors modified yet. Should be quick

RC Qualifier
    I did run it for a little bit. The packs I have fit without modification...I need to get some better ones.

These tires are useless, I can't get above 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and still be able to control it.

I got the thing last night and totally ripped it apart.

I have basically all of the Traxxas hop ups on it

CVDs
    Aluminum toe links
    aluminum push rods
    aluminum hexes
    aluminum lug nuts
    hard anodized shocks
    aluminum set screws for axle carriers

and of course, the tenbol mount, neu motor and mmp

Also, the ko-propo servo....don't remember the model number

I can't wait for the soft compound tires to be available from Traxxas. I will try some other touring car wheels/tires in the mean time.
    Last edited by trx33; 10-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Post video and what tires you will be using!!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    pretty much any tyre would be useless at 6 cells.

get yourself a set of schumacher sorex hard slicks. they're incredible tyres.
    ... oh, and sorry about your wallet

RC Racer
    Good luck....

RC Racer
    go for foams its the only reasonable solution
    Cars can fly too!

RC Qualifier
    That is probably the BIGGEST pinion I have ever seen.
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Champion
    One of the Traxxas guys mentioned that to me today, that is nuts!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Let me guess you are barely getting past a 1/3rd throttle before you run out of room.
    Last edited by slowenuff; 10-24-2010 at 12:57 AM.

RC Champion
    If it's anything like my Brushless M03 on 3s, the tires probably don't last that long!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Carbon+LiPo+for+Traxxas/Scale+116

I like how Team Orion makes these Traxxas specific shaped packs, in 3s too, for the 1/16 mini's, and the 1/10 Revo, Summit..
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolestDinosoar
    That is probably the BIGGEST pinion I have ever seen.
    It's bigger, now

That's a 40 tooth.....I squeezed a 48 tooth in there, and I'm running a 45 tooth spur. My pinion is bigger than my spur!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Let me guess you are barely getting past a 1/3rd throttle before you run out of room.
    Pretty much..

Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    http://www.teamorion.com/Products/Carbon+LiPo+for+Traxxas/Scale+116

I like how Team Orion makes these Traxxas specific shaped packs, in 3s too, for the 1/16 mini's, and the 1/10 Revo, Summit..
    Those are pretty neat, but the capacity is a little disappointing.
    Last edited by trx33; 10-24-2010 at 02:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    also, the balancing cable for the orion packs do not neatly tuck away inside the battery compartment with the battery. they just don't...

i'm running 2 of the 2 cell parallel with my 7700kv mamba system

RC Champion
    Get a gyro and a new body but don't cut out the rear wheels. It should help alot.

RC Qualifier
    I have a set of these (team orion lipos) in the 2s 1600. They are way too tight a fit. I have to use a screwdriver to pry them out. A real pain. My trays are modified as noted in the link. Still not a good fit. Too expensive as well. They look cool if you need bling. I would not buy another pair of these.

RC Qualifier
    Did you run it yet?
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DKO
    I have a set of these (team orion lipos) in the 2s 1600. They are way too tight a fit. I have to use a screwdriver to pry them out. A real pain. My trays are modified as noted in the link. Still not a good fit. Too expensive as well. They look cool if you need bling. I would not buy another pair of these.
    really? mine have pulled out by tugging the cable and pressing my thumb against the rear battery vent. slides out straight, after that.

i wouldn't get some again, because of the balancing cable and nowhere to put it, and because they're quite expensive.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz
    really? mine have pulled out by tugging the cable and pressing my thumb against the rear battery vent. slides out straight, after that.

i wouldn't get some again, because of the balancing cable and nowhere to put it, and because they're quite expensive.
    I was afraid to pull it out by the wires for fear of pulling them out (the wires). I guess it's no worse than damaging them with the screwdriver (it is a hard case though). We agree though, wouldn't buy them again.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by trx33
    I did run it for a little bit. The packs I have fit without modification...I need to get some better ones.

These tires are useless, I can't get above 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and still be able to control it.

I got the thing last night and totally ripped it apart.

I have basically all of the Traxxas hop ups on it

CVDs
    Aluminum toe links
    aluminum push rods
    aluminum hexes
    aluminum lug nuts
    hard anodized shocks
    aluminum set screws for axle carriers

and of course, the tenbol mount, neu motor and mmp

Also, the ko-propo servo....don't remember the model number

I can't wait for the soft compound tires to be available from Traxxas. I will try some other touring car wheels/tires in the mean time.
    4TEC tires fit

I would take a video, but with this much power, the hard compound tires are USELESS!!

I need to get some soft compound tires ASAP!
    4-TEC Tires not only fit it pulls wheelies "3S" with them I was using them tonight.
    Perfect tire for this car.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-02-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: merge
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    Do them 4tec tires grab more or allow it to drift better than stock ? Wheelies ? You might have to put that little mini center differential in it and put THe power to The front then or just sweeze the trigger less.........
    they grab perfect much better than stock but weight bias lets it drift. Wheelies only after heating the tires up doing donuts.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Competitor
    That is sick. 90mph+ I bet.
    E-maxxin with E-minimum cash...

RC Competitor
    Two 3s packs in series
    As my dear old mom used to say, "Some people have got more money than sense." LOL
    Last edited by mini-robbie; 11-02-2010 at 09:47 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-robbie
    As my dear old mom used to say, "Some people have got more money than sense." LOL
    lol...I actually have a lot of sense. I'm an engineer, so I like to push the limits.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could do 90, but I'm not getting even close to that yet. I have to get it under control before I can see how fast it goes. i'm hoping for 80.

I had some hpi x-pattern tires that I tried. They are way better than the factory tires, but they still balloon too much making it very hard to control. I have some belted hpi pro compound slicks on the way, so hopefully that will help.

I really need to get more of the slop out of the suspension, too. The aluminum pillow ball set screws from Traxxas work awesome, but they don't fix the entire problem. The pillow balls aren't perfectly round, so the set screws have to be left loose so they don't bind in certain positions. I have lunsford titanium ones on the way, so hopefully those work out better.

RC Competitor
    lol...I actually have a lot of sense. I'm an engineer, so I like to push the limits.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could do 90, but I'm not getting even close to that yet. I have to get it under control before I can see how fast it goes. i'm hoping for 80.

I had some hpi x-pattern tires that I tried. They are way better than the factory tires, but they still balloon too much making it very hard to control. I have some belted hpi pro compound slicks on the way, so hopefully that will help.

I really need to get more of the slop out of the suspension, too. The aluminum pillow ball set screws from Traxxas work awesome, but they don't fix the entire problem. The pillow balls aren't perfectly round, so the set screws have to be left loose so they don't bind in certain positions. I have lunsford titanium ones on the way, so hopefully those work out better.
    Then as an engineer you would also be familiar with the concept of "understanding your limits."
    Pushing the limits would be installing 3S, and getting that to work well - while installing 6S would be like installing the engine out of a topfuel dragster into your wife's grocery-getter Honda - some things are rather pointless, in theory and endeavor. Kind of like the dog chasing its tail.

Using ordinary rubber tires is going to be a problem with ballooning one way or another. Back in the day, when we used to run upwards of 100 at Lake Whippowill (1/10th scale oval, replica of Daytona) we used capped tires - rubber caps on top of on-road foam tires - and that was with good available traction. Either way you're going to suffer from a traction issue no matter what you do, because you're not running on a "prepared" surface.

Be carefull about tightening up the pillowballs too much, they're designed to be run a little loose. If you tighten them too much, trying to get rid of all the slop, you just end up binding up the suspension.

Hoping for 80 or 90mph is really shooting for the moon, IMHO, especially when the current world record is just over 100 using a specially designed and hand-made rig. With this model, it's about as practical as going to Mars in the Space Shuttle.

Good luck.

RC Qualifier
    There are more benefits to going 6s than just speed. With higher voltage, you need less current to get the same power. This motor is only 2700kv, so unloaded, it has a max RPM of about 60k. That is less than guys running 3s on the 5700 castle motor, but this has the advantage of being much more efficient. Since it is efficient, it can handle being way overgeared. I am just trying to see what it can do when geared high, but when I am done pushing it, I will gear it for a top speed of around 50 - 60 and have a much more efficient and reasonable set up. The tires will handle that speed just fine. If they can't handle going faster, so be it. I just won't go that fast.

P.S. There's a huge difference between 80 and 100mph.

RC Competitor
    P.S. There's a huge difference between 80 and 100mph.

There's also a huge difference between 50 and 80mph.

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Holy cow!

That setup is a speeding bullet I my big & heavy Rustler. I would love to see how this will turnout.
    I got skills!

RC Qualifier
    There's also a huge difference between 50 and 80mph.
    Very true.

RC Enthusiast
    To any of you guys who are trying to get any Traxxas 1/16 chassis (well) over 80mph, Don't do it !!, its just an absolute waste of your time and cash.
    I also made a serious attempt last year with a heavily upgraded 1/16 revo but never got over 80mph. And for every clear 80mph pass I got about 5 high speed cartwheeling crashes with damage all the time!
    Setup used was Mamba Max Pro, Lehner 1515 / 3117kv, 6S (3S boost 1850mah 45C in series).
    I have tried about ten different tyre sets varying from foams, (belted) slicks and big tyres.
    Also experimented with rear spoilers, front spoilers, no spoilers etc.

This all resulted in numerous expensive crashes, countless hours of fixing and a heap of $$$ on spares. (at least one completely desintegrated MMPro )
    The only good thing is that I can probably built a 1/16 from sratch with my eyes closed now.

Your biggest enemy is aerodynamics and weight. Its just to much speed for such a small and light thing.
    Another huge probles will be the drivetrain and gear box. The gear box will start to smell like burned plastic at the extreme RPM's although i did not manage to blow one up.

Good luck.....

setup used:

(obviously tyres in this pic where not used in the high speed experiments)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryV
    Your biggest enemy is aerodynamics and weight. Its just to much speed for such a small and light thing.
    Don't forget - it's lack of wheelbase relative to its width. These things are square.
    Speedrun cars typically have a long wheelbase, to aid in highspeed stability.

RC Enthusiast
    Don't forget - it's lack of wheelbase relative to its width. These things are square.
    Speedrun cars typically have a long wheelbase, to aid in highspeed stability.
    100% correct, forgot to mention that. This was the cause for most of the high speed cartwheeling tumble passes.....
    Just one very tiny steering input at super speed and the thing was completely out of balance and.......crash nr. 645