RC Champion

Question TQi in to a TQ, or TQ in to a TQi? Dillema

So I'm going to combine the two radios in one handset.

If I put the TQi in to the TQ then I have to separate the two boards in the TQi (not a big deal) and I have to move the thumb transmission switch somewhere else - I would just replace it with another switch. Then I can have the TQi boards in the top of the TQ transmitter, minue one screw that isn't really too necessary for the structural integrity of the thing.

OR

I take the BASE off the TQ and somehow mount it to the TQi transmitter, then route the antenna up to the top of the TQi frame somewhere.

I think it's best to keep the TQi in the TQi handset, and somehow figure out how to lop off the bottom of the TQ and somehow attach it to the TQi handset, but I'm afraid of two things:

How bad it will look if I don't get a clean cut/sanding job.
    The antenna and how/where it will be mounted.

This is a conceptually easy project, but man is space ever limited!! Less work to put the TQi in to the TQ transmitter, but much better looking and possibly functioning, if I keep the TQi in it's own thing.

The reason for doing all this? To have two remotes in one - in other words, an 8-10 channel remote.

At the end of the day I want to have a joystick controlling the throttle/steering of either the TQi or the TQ, and mounted to the base of the TQ remote. But in both of these cases, I end up with the base of the TQ remote so that's not an issue.

........ *sigh*

Advice?

RC Competitor
    Are you looking to have / make use of the dock station and an iphone?
    If not, I suggest you just do what Jimmy Neutron did and do it with 2 TQ transmitters to keep cost down.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley au View Post
    Are you looking to have / make use of the dock station and an iphone?
    If not, I suggest you just do what Jimmy Neutron did and do it with 2 TQ transmitters to keep cost down.
    I second that... unless you are really attached to telemetry.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I don't have two 2.4ghz tq transmitters, I have one TQi and one TQ.

That is keeping the cost down.

The benefit to my situation is that I can keep the TQ remote in tact, keep the batteries where they are, AND only worry about the tqi boards up top.

These two pictures show the differences of the two remotes, and what I plan on doing. I haven't thought yet as to where to place the "programming" board of the tQi, but I'll worry about that later. Both remotes will be powered from one 6v battery source, beit the oem battery box, or a pack of sorts.

Full Size

Full Size

In the first picture you might notice that there are THREE mounting holes for the case to secure itself, I would have to remove the bottom one, closest to the center of the remote - not a big deal.

The second picture shows the TQi board hitting the thumb switch, so I would have to remove the thumb switch, but may be able to utilize it's mounting post to help secure the TQi. There is enough room in the BACK of the TQ remote to put at least TWO TQi boards.
    Last edited by krallopian; 04-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.

RC Competitor
    Which remote would be the primary one?
    In a stock TQI you'll notice the front of the board (the aerial) has no other circuitry or components near it.

Is there a possibility of interference or reduced range if its put into another remote where the aerial isn't in its optimal position?

RC Champion
    The steering wheel pot is right on the other side of it, and it's a double sided board, so the antenna is on both sides - I've tested all kinds of situations, and there doesn't seem to be any issue with interferance!

I've already got the TQi board inside the TQ remote, I've modified the battery compartment to be TWO sets of 4 batteries, so there is no need for external batteries or anything, I used the 8 battery tray from the 27mhz radio, and divided it so that there are four batteries powering one radio, and four powering the other - it's very clean!

I'm just fiddling with here to place the SET and MENU buttons, I've just drilled out the temporary spots for the two pots - throttle/steering on the 27mhz radio to make sure they will fit there, with the TQi radio board on top.

Been a LONG day, I'm sneezing from plastic bits all over the place hahaha. The joystick I'm using form a game pad works fantastically, BUT I messed up my last project box fiddling with my first joystick, so now I'm waiting for tomorrow to get here so I can get out and get some new plastic. Later on tonight I'll upload some pics of the progress.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Sounds great!!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.