Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

Sumbot - Build Thread - By Quadiak

I don't ask much from my Summit, just that it bash, crawl, swim, jump, roll, crash, etc. and all with the flick of a couple switches. I don't think this is unreasonable for a RC monster truck, at least not for a Summit. So as I near achieving all the goals I have set for my ever evolving "Sumbot," I thought I might share my build with everyone.

The specs :

Name : Sumbot

Motor : Novak 7.5 HV(sensored)

ESC : Mamba Max Pro

BEC : CCBEC

Spur\Pinion : 12/68

Batts : 2 SMC - 2s 9000 Mah Lipo in series(4s 9000 Mah 28C)

Speeds : 32 Mph(calculated seems close)

Run time : 1 1/2 Hrs bashing - 4-5 Hrs crawling/hiking(estimated)

Wheels/Tires : RPM Revolver/Losi Claw MT's

Body : Proline 2007 Silverado

Suspension : LT with Double orange springs front and rear, 70 Wt shock oil

Radio : Traxxas Link HO (modified for 3 position 3rd and 4th channels)

Servo(s) : Hi-Tec 7980(front) - Hi-Tec 7955(rear)

Programmable Digital Components : MMP, CCBECm, Hi-Tec 7980, Hi-Tec 7955t

Custom : Front mounted motor, front mounted ESC, 2 water proof boxes, Servo saver spacer, Single front steering servo, 4WS(front and rear), TRX front toe links.

All of the exposed electronics are listed as water resistant, everything else is mounted inside the water proof boxes. I believe it to be quite reasonably water tight. As far as swimming goes, it is certainly not as water proof yet as I would it like to be. but I'm sure I will test it at least once

Starting at the front:

The front bumper mount is turned upside down in order to properly place the body and bring CG down

I used a Proline Silverado body and trimmed down E-Maxx body mounts. I also trimmed the front bumper section off of the Silverado body and matched it as well as I could with the Summit bumper.

I machined a piece of heavy plastic into a angle bracket and mounted it to the front body mount and attached the MMPro with 2 sided tape and zip ties for back-up

The MMPro is absolutely awesome, some of the features it has make it the perfect choice for the Summit, it seems to be able to handle the Summit just fine running 12/68 gearing. Speeds around 30 Mph are all I expect from my Summit, it can easily bash equally with a brushed E-Revo.

There is however, a Rock Crawler setting on the drag brake which, in combination with the sensored motor, will not allow the truck to roll down hill when in neutral/low gear. This drag brake setting makes it a little difficult bashing, because every time I let off the trigger, the brakes lock solid(and not gradually either). However, I found a remarkable way around this without having to reprogram between bashing and crawling. I set dead band to the largest setting and set the multifunction knob on my Traxxas Link Tx to throttle trim. Now by simply by turning the throttle trim to a more forward position it doesn't actually go into neutral, but deactivates the drag brake or can be set for a very slight drag brake. A simple return of the throttle trim to the center position and the rock solid, rock crawling drag brake is re-engaged.

It also has no reverse delay which is completely necessary for any technical rock crawling. Both the VXL and Novak ESC's had terrible delays into reverse. At the time of this righting the MMPro has had very little testing so I will update later on.

The ESC is hard wired directly to a Novak 7.5 HV motor. The Novak motor is a 3000 Kv, sensored brushless motor with a 5mm rotor and was used in Novaks 1/8th scale Brushless conversion kits. I choose this motor partly because of its size, I wanted to mount it in the front position on my E-Revo dual motor plate, but mostly because it was Sensored and also should be a lot more efficient when geared properly. I really do expect to get 4 or 5 Hours of crawling/hiking from a single charge of my 9000 Mah LiPos. However long the packs do last, I'm sure it will outlast a hike with me
    Last edited by quadiak; 10-17-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Champion
    The front steering system has been switched over to a single servo system. I choose a Hi-Tec 7980 Digital Monster Torque Servo.

A slight modification was necessary to the mounting holes in the new servo to fit the chassis.

I found an old Traxxas part number(TRA5326X)from a Nitro Revo to cover the open hole.

Due to the incredible torque of the 7980 servo I installed in the front I had to beef up the servo saver, I used a 1.9mm plastic spacer under the spring(I also tried the 5344x spring and found no difference to stock).

I had to add the "upside down high/low shift servo mod." in order to combine my high/low shift and front diff. lock engagement onto the same channel.

I dremeled out holes for the battery wires to exit the front of the battery compartments, so I could turn the battery packs around. I did this in order to reach the front mounted ESC without an extra 10" of wire.

I installed a second waterproof box to help house the extra electronics, in order the mount the box I used some thick plastic between it and the chassis,this way I could use the stock ESC mounting holes, since they seem to be the only part of the chassis with enough meat to hold a screw without stripping.

Inside the second waterproof box I have mounted my "Dual Steering Computer" and the CCBEC. An external BEC is completely necessary to power the high torque servos. I went with the smaller BEC so it would fit in the waterproof box.

I mounted up a set of double orange springs in the rear with 70 Wt shock oil.

The next section of my Sumbot build is a detailed "How To" about the method and design I used to build my 4WS.

RC Champion
    One goal I had in designing this dual steering system was to try to stay with as many Traxxas parts as I could, so there is a bit of a mix and match from various Traxxas kits and a couple aftermarket pieces as well. I will do my best to describe and help anyone interested in setting up rear/dual steering the way I did mine with as much detail as I can. Here goes:

I will start with required parts list:

7043 - 1/16 E-Revo servo saver kit

5344 - Summit/E-Revo servo saver kit

5335a - Revo 3.3 front bumper Kit

2075 - Traxxas high torque servo(I recommend a higher torque servo such as Hi-Tec HS_7955TG

3737(2) - Rustler/Bandit/Stampede TRX tie-rod kits(or similar 39mm turn buckles)

Various screws from various Traxxas part kits.

My design ideas came from some of the posts I had seen on these Summit boards (thanks Brasher).

I started with a servo saver from a 1/16 E-Revo (7043). Initially I had mounted it horizontally to one of my broken Summit bumper mounts. This worked out pretty good but had no protection and was not a very rigid mount, due to only having one secure mounting point.

I picked up a Revo front bumper kit (5335a) and used a drill press to drill a 3/16 hole dead center right through it.

Next I cut the tie rod mount end off of a Summit/E-Revo servo saver (5344). I then turned it sideways and drilled 2 - 3/32” holes through the side so it would mount to the 1/16 servo saver where the steel balls would normally screw on.

Using 2 - 2.5x18mm cap screws from the 1/16 servo saver kit (7043), I mounted the modified Tie-rod holder to the end of the 1/16 servo saver.

One of the things I determined through trial and error (actually made me give up on the dual steering for a while), was that I couldn't run at any speeds over about 5 Mph without losing control. I determined the cause of this problem was the rear servo saver spring being too weak and forces created by high speeds were able to overpower the rear linkage and send my Summit completely out of control, I solved this by installing a spacer(1.9mm) under the servo saver spring which is large enough to completely take all slop out of the unit, essentially it is no longer a servo saver, rather just a linkage.

I also found a consistent weak point in the Traxxas plastic 1/16 servo saver, in that the skinny arms cannot handle the force of impact from bashing. So I upgraded to a full aluminum servo saver from GPM(you still need to purchase the 7043 kit for other hardware). The GPM servo saver also has a much more rigid design making shimming the spring unnecessary as well.

That completed, I used the steel pin from the 5344 kit in conjunction with a plastic spacer to mount my modified mini servo saver through the Revo Bumper mount(the 3/16" holes take a bit of reaming to get the pin through, but make for a nice tight fit). A 3x25 mm button head screw from the 5344 kit with a washer on each end and a 3mm nylock nut work well to keep the pin in place(make sure the screw is pushed through from the end that mounts to the chassis)

The next step was to build a servo mounting plate that would fit between the rear body mount posts and was strong enough to support a servo and rigid enough to stay stable. I used a piece of flat 1/4" thick plastic which I transformed by cutting, drilling and using a bench grinder.

The servo I am currently using is a Hi-Tec HS-7955TG. I had initially used a spare Traxxas 2075 servo but found it was not strong enough.

With the Hi-Tec servo mounted behind the mounting plate it makes very good alignment with the custom mounted servo saver.

In order to have sufficient strength, even using the stock plastic servo saver from the 7043 kit, dual tie rods are required, if you like to bash hard however, I recommend the complete aluminum GPM part listed above. I have used one of the included 2 sided servo horns from the Hi-Tec kit (if using different servo, you may have to improvise here)

I then used 2 tie rod links borrowed from my rustlers, this would be most easily purchased as trx # 3737 or other 39mm turn buckles (2 required).

http://www.buytraxxas.com/images/products/3737.jpg

In order to install the rod links both the servo horn and servo saver need to have the holes enlarged to fit the 3mm screws used to attach the larger steel balls used by the 3737 tie rods. Because the servo does not line up in the center of the chassis like the servo saver does, the tie-rods will need a slightly different adjustment from each other. ***CAUTION*** do not attempt to use different holes in the servo horn to make the tie-rods visually line up as this will change the rates at which each rod moves and will cause binding/breakage.

Last edited by quadiak; 10-17-2010 at 10:16 PM.

RC Champion
    Spacers also need to be installed behind the tie rod steel balls at the servo horn end to create enough clearance for the linkage to work.

At this point you will notice when compressing the rear suspension, the rear toe angle will change very abruptly from toe out to toe in. In order to fix this condition you will need to remount the upper pillow ball into the front most hole of the rear upper A-arm.

This means the rear alignment will need to be readjusted back to stock setting as per the manual, I do however recommend applying downward pressure on the rear springs when making these adjustments, I recommend this to simulate the famous Revo chassis squat, because it is most important for the alignment angles to be as close to factory as possible when under hard acceleration and nearing top speed.

Here is the finished project(as far as hardware goes)

Some of you that take on this project may stop here and enjoy your 4 Wheel steering by simply plugging the rear servo into a "Y" harness connected to either of the existing steering channel or the open channel 1 location if you have changed over to a single front servo system.

RC Champion
    Now for the fun part I wanted to be able to switch between locked rear steering, 4 Wheel Steering and Crab Walk steering. So after hunting high and low I finally found this "Dual Steering Computer." This little doo-dad really put the into my rear steering system. I works just as advertised all you need is a free channel on your Tx/Rx.

There are numerous ways this dual steering computer could be hooked up, so here is what I did.

I moved my high/low servo onto the front diff lock channel by using a "y" harness, in doing this I found the high/low servo to be acting exactly the opposite of how I needed it to. So I mounted the high/low servo upside down.

I also discovered (or I should say rediscovered, since someone was holding out information, right Jamann) a 3 position 3rd channel switch on the Traxxas Link HO Tx/Rx system. I removed the diff lock switch from my old AM Tx, which is basically just a on-off-on switch. I disassembled my Traxxas Link Tx, then proceeded to de-solder the leads from the old high/low switch and and soldered them to the on-off-on switch I robbed from the old Tx in the following manner:

Switch wires - channel 3 wires(removed from high/low switch)
    Red - Purple
    Blue - Black
    Black - Yellow

I then drilled a 1/4" hole above the diff lock switch and mounted my new dual steering control switch.

Because of my choice of mounting location I had to slightly dremel the plastic of the Tx for clearance to switch the switch (see picture).

You may want to choose a different location, but I liked this location because it keeps the switch protected and appears almost original equipment.

In order to protect the dual steering computer and a couple other goodies I have also installed a second waterproof box. This worked very well for me but it may not be ideal for your project Summit.

I hope everyone interested has found this tutorial to be very helpful and Informative
    Last edited by quadiak; 10-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.

RC Champion
    A short list of remaining upgrades I have yet to complete :

Front aluminum servo saver with a single sided arm.

Rear TRX toe links.

Front and rear TRX push rods.

Last, but I'm sure not least, I plan to test out a set of Maxx sized rock crusher tires on another set of RPM Revolvers

I really hope everyone enjoys this build, I will be glad to answer any questions PMed to me.

I will continue to update this thread with both successes and failures

The writing of this build thread may have been a bit premature and some items are not as thoroughly tested as I would have liked, but just like trying to wait, to play or work on the Sumbot, I simply could not wait any longer to post this up.

Eric

BRAVO, very informative. I love the fact you kept it all waterproof. love the 4WS info. looking forward to more vids on your youtube page
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    Extreamly impressed. Have been hanging out for this post as I am keen to do 4ws on my rig. Would be realy good if i could see this in action both crawling and at speed. Hope you post some vids soon.

BillyGoatRacing

RC Qualifier
    Hi,I'd watch the MMM esc mounted like that,the top of mine ripped off in a crash,voiding the 12 month warrenty

the QuadTube video channel

youtube.com/watch?v=WYlFCW6SFZw

waiting for some crab steer
    Last edited by noir 522; 10-18-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

Looks great I like the paint job.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    You are the man. That was fantastic.

RC Racer
    That is a very nice mackine Quad!
    I may just steal most (if not all) your ideas.

Thanks for shareing.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the kind comments I have had a great time building this rig and I am more than happy to share all my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    the QuadTube video channel

youtube.com/watch?v=WYlFCW6SFZw

waiting for some crab steer
    Thanks for the you tube link idea Noir, here is a link to my you tube homepage.

The latest video is from my first test last night, low light condition it is very jittery. At the end you might hear a snap, that was the front servo saver arm giving way to the monster torque of the 7980 servo. I hope to get some better quality vids up soon

Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    Looks great I like the paint job.
    Thanks, I realized I forgot to post a picture of the glow in the dark flames. I used Parma glow in the dark paint to highlight the flame tips. I was very doubtful that it would work, until I discovered that if I shined the kids crayola glow pen on it, WOW it glows. This picture is real, I left the camera sit on the bathroom counter in the dark and left it time to focus. no photo shop here

ya wanna re-post her?
    she has come a long way

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...highlight=post
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    A bit of an update on the Sumbot.

I weighed it last night, the total weight is 10 lb 8 oz.

weight on each corner as follows :

L/F - 2 lb 13 oz.
    R/F - 2 lb 11 oz.
    L/R - 2 lb 8 oz.
    R/R - 2 lb 8 oz.

I had it out last night for approx 1 hr 20 min. of mixed bashing and crawling, and the SMC 2s 9000 Mah packs each took 4400 Mah upon charging.

Took it out again tonight for some serious bashing, lots of stupidity(jumps, flips, rolls, etc) the only casualty being a bent turn buckle for the rear steering. The GPM rear servo saver has held up extremely well so far(knock on wood)

I am currently attempting to upload a couple vids, once again here is my "QuadTube" link

RC Champion
    Also checked temps after bashing 118 motor 120 ESC, the ESC fan wasn't even kicking in, although the outside temp was down to about 65.

Nice! Your next task is to extend the chassis so you can compete in the Super class for crawlers!!!!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

"casualty" ? looks as though you did not stick that landing!! But you seem to have been having fun. You an your kid put her through some serious testing. Nice.

PS - That "thread" is gone. I think someone must have led the cat out of the bag. But I still claim dibbs.
    1)sumvxl (sum-vex-L)
    2)MINSUM
    3)SUMVEX
    4)VEXSUM

(smile)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott
    Nice! Your next task is to extend the chassis so you can compete in the Super class for crawlers!!!!
    Need to figure out a class for Summits.
    Maybe like open wheel size and under 16" wheelbase, so we don't have to compete with Supers. Not that I don't think my Summit can crawl. It crawls quite good and I think it may be able to out crawl the Losi Claws it is currently wearing

"casualty" ? looks as though you did not stick that landing!! But you seem to have been having fun. You an your kid put her through some serious testing. Nice.
    Gotta make sure it lives up to being a "Bash Proof" 4ws system.

Jumping is very tricky with the drag brake set on rock crawler. Have to keep it in your mind to not let the throttle go back to neutral or its instant nose dive.

Bashing with a really high setting on drag brake may not be the easiest thing to do but it sure is a good training tool for vehicle control.
    Last edited by quadiak; 10-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.

RC Champion
    Took her muddin' tonight in the muskeg pit in my backyard.

See how well the proline body protects the chassis. the offset wheels really help to. no need for a over tray with this set up.

I hope to get some video of this mud bog up soon

hey quad since you have both, whats more fun to bash with the summit/erevo or the emaxx?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    hey quad since you have both, whats more fun to bash with the summit/erevo or the emaxx?
    I can honestly say I haven't played with emaxx much, I got it for my son so he would have more fun bashing with me, the Merv he had wasn't much fun playing with the summit.

So far the emaxx has proven to be tougher in the stock condition, than the Merv or Summit. He has only broken one part so far. As for Bashing I would say it is a pretty close contest. I think the emaxx would be a better basher than the stock e-revo with p2 rockers and talon tires though. Breaking trails though, the Summit wins hands down.

[QUOTE][It crawls quite good and I think it may be able to out crawl the Losi Claws it is currently wearing

/QUOTE]I heard a rumor about a guy gettin himself some "rock crushers" i think there called: cool:
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I found a mistake I made and I am very sorry if it screws up anyone trying to duplicate my rear steering, the turnbuckles I used were from my rustlers but they are not the equivalent of the trx 3737 part. they are the 2537 part which is only available from traxxas as a threaded rod. Since I have already bent the threaded rod I have been searching for a replacement upgrade. The turnbuckles are actually listed as a 28mm on the Rustler PDF view. I am thinking these lunsford racing pieces would do the trick.

Once again I sincerely apologize for this error

RC Champion
    Ok I finally got a good test and video. hope you guys enjoy this it was fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuaJebTDm_0

The water resistance has so far proven itself, I never really intended to get in that deep, but we will see if everything still works after drying out on the next run.

RC Racer
    that is an excellent setup!! i am very impressed with how that body keeps out mud. where do you live to already have snow??
    well that cant be good...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman08
    that is an excellent setup!! i am very impressed with how that body keeps out mud. where do you live to already have snow??
    I belive some were in alberta if i remember right here is saskatchewan in my area got like half a foot snow i can wait to get home to drive my summit in it just have to put the new ESC in it maybe with any luck my mud slingers will be here today

quadiak thats a great video so your not having any issues with the ESC when your running in water like that cause the only time i really drive my summit in water is in spring when the snow melts and i like to go through water like that maybe all have to try a brushless set up like you have
    Last edited by scotthw; 10-28-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    I belive some were in alberta if i remember right here is saskatchewan in my area got like half a foot snow i can wait to get home to drive my summit in it just have to put the new ESC in it maybe with any luck my mud slingers will be here today

quadiak thats a great video so your not having any issues with the ESC when your running in water like that cause the only time i really drive my summit in water is in spring when the snow melts and i like to go through water like that maybe all have to try a brushless set up like you have
    Yes I am just outside of Edmonton, near Devon.

Glad you liked the vid. I have the MMpro mounted quite high up on the chassis. I never really intended to get it that wet but you know how it goes when things get fun.

On this vid. when I dive off the little cliff at the end it ended up nose down in the water, I was pretty worried that time, but so far so good

RC Champion
    ok thanks you have a sweet summit there i wish i could paint as good as you i would love that paint job on my summit body
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Champion
    Got out for a little run today, probably the last nice weekend we will be having around here for a while.

I kinda forgot that I still have a weak link in the plastic front servo saver(Alum one should be in the post this week), anyway I never even thought to through a wrench in my pocket, and after snapping the servo saver I had to do a bit of trail riggin. So I thought I would post a picture.

My wife found am old pen laying in the grass and pulled the spring out of it for me, I used the spring to bind a small rock into the front servo saver and hold the front wheels somewhat straight so I could use the rear steering to get back up the trail to the truck.

Also forgot the camera so she recorded a bit of video on my cell phone, the video is not great and the terrain wasn't all the crawler friendly(gotta move to canada's tropical island someday ). here's another link to quad-tube

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    Got out for a little run today, probably the last nice weekend we will be having around here for a while.

I kinda forgot that I still have a weak link in the plastic front servo saver(Alum one should be in the post this week), anyway I never even thought to through a wrench in my pocket, and after snapping the servo saver I had to do a bit of trail riggin. So I thought I would post a picture.

My wife found am old pen laying in the grass and pulled the spring out of it for me, I used the spring to bind a small rock into the front servo saver and hold the front wheels somewhat straight so I could use the rear steering to get back up the trail to the truck.

Also forgot the camera so she recorded a bit of video on my cell phone, the video is not great and the terrain wasn't all the crawler friendly(gotta move to canada's tropical island someday ). here's another link to quad-tube
    Big thanks to the wife nice work I'm sure santa will be good to you this year for that one ya I'm having a issue with snapping the arms off the bell crank, two so far so the aluminium one is of interest along with the horn as i'm able to stip the plastic ones at a alarming rate lately thats with a cheap towardpro mg996r when i get the ******* high torque it's going to become a issue I'ma guessinThat arm stickin out in the pic ya mine had none left by the end of the week I'm running single servo but the crushers are tough on steering stuff at this size
    Last edited by jamann; 11-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Love the engineering quad. The things we do to keep driving!

RC Competitor
    hi mate i got a couple of questions...
    number 1. if you hooked up the gear shifting servo to your front diff lock switch then what are you using the gear shift switch for?
    number 2. since your running 2 mega high torque servos that draw alot of power how did you get away with only running one bec?
    thanks

RC Champion
    The actual gear shift switch itself is disconnected, I used a three position switch on the third channel(gear shift channel) to control my rear steering. I can now change between normal/crab/4ws all at the flick of a switch.

I am actually running both the stock internal BEC and a CCBEC, the internal BEC is running everything except the steering servos which are powered by the Castle CCBEC(not the pro version). I was able to do this easily because with the dual steering computer I have for the rear steering control, I simply had to disconnect the red wire on the lead coming from the Rx over to the computer and hook up the CCBEC leads on the computer side. As far as getting away with it, I'm not sure, I only used the smaller CCBEC because I had it laying around and it is even mounted inside a waterproof box so it is not getting any air flow for cooling, eventually this may be a problem but its working so far.

RC Competitor
    wow i get it now
    both front and rear servos get plugged into the rear steer computer and then the part that gets pluged into the reciever you hook up to the bec witch then goes to the reciever i love your summit dude

RC Competitor
    and also when you switch it to 4ws is it just like steering with just the front wheels what im saying is when you have it switched to 4ws when you turn the little wheel on your controler do all the wheels turn?

RC Champion
    Normal mode = only front tires
    4ws = front and rear turn opposite
    Crab = front and rear turn the same

Yes it all works off the normal stering wheel on the controller. There is center pots built into the dual steering computer which allow the front and rear channels to be centered independently

BTW thanks, glad you like my truck
    Last edited by quadiak; 11-27-2010 at 06:29 PM.

RC Competitor
    ok just purchased the parts of ebay to do my rear steer set up thanks heaps for your help mate

RC Competitor
    hey quadiak if its not to hard could you please send a pic through of your tq handset with the back off so i can see what wires go whre