RC Competitor

Proline Trenchers and other 40 series tires

I've been looking over the forums on tires and I've picked up a lot of good info, but. I'm curious who has had a chance to try Proline's new Trencher tire for the Revo. I love the look of the tire and the idea of using a tire that's a bit bigger than stock without going overboard on rotating mass and leverage.

The Trencher is a touch more narrow than the Talons and about an inch greater in diameter over stock. I've also considered HPI GT2s which are about a half inch greater in diameter over stock. I'm sure both are a bit heavier as well.

For anyone who has run the new Trenchers or something like the HPI GT2, or other similar (not going too far like with a Goliath or something) 40 series off road tire on your Revo, how has it been for you? Any increased parts breakage from the added stress? Would you recommend them for someone who wants that monster truck look and/or wants something a big bigger to handle rough driving conditions? (obviously not for racing)?

I'd love to hear your experiences with the pros and cons of running larger, heavier tires!

RC Qualifier
    Those are good tires from what I have heard, I have seen a couple Summit's running them and they seem to do well. I'm sure someone who has them for their erbe will chime in with more specific info.
    I have a couple sets of larger tires I run on my erbe now and then. One is a set of Losi LST tires- XXL I think (they are a lot heavier than Talons and 6.25in tall) and the other set is some Redcat racing mt tires (not sure what they are exactly but they are about 3/4in wider and 1/2in taller than Talons). The larger tires definatly kick up the temps but can be managed with a little bit of geering adjustment and nicer driving style. I have killed a few driveshafts pretty quick with those LST tires and have gone through a set of axel carrier bearings withe the other set (they are on 1/2in offset wheels as well so that contributed to the bearing failure I'm sure). The truck will mob through about anything with either set so I use them when I'm in a mobbing kind of mood, I think its nice to have larger tires on hand for that type of bashing but I don't run them for normal bashing due to the strain they put on everything.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Competitor
    Any recommendations on a larger tire combo that isn't overly large or weighty but will help the truck float over larger rocks and ruts better than the stock Talons?

RC Qualifier
    Many run and seem to really like the Mashers, the 40 series are pretty big and I haven't heard of people having too many issues running them. I plan to snag a set of those someday myself, they are also known to have a pretty long lifespan and hook up great in just about every terrain. You can look through the pic gallery to see what they look like on the erbe, I think there is a few pics of them in there. There is also a tire/wheel combo's for the erbe around here somewhere, Ill look for it and bump it up.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333
    Many run and seem to really like the Mashers, the 40 series are pretty big and I haven't heard of people having too many issues running them. I plan to snag a set of those someday myself, they are also known to have a pretty long lifespan and hook up great in just about every terrain. You can look through the pic gallery to see what they look like on the erbe, I think there is a few pics of them in there. There is also a tire/wheel combo's for the erbe around here somewhere, Ill look for it and bump it up.
    The Trenchers are supposed to be about the same size, though a little more narrow and lighter than the 40 series Mashers according to Pro-Line when I called them. They really seem to recommend the new Trencher for the Revo over any other offering they have, though they wouldn't comment on how much additional stress they might impose of the Revo.

RC Racer
    The trenchers are taller than the mashers and narrower I have both

I bought the trenchers because they are listed as the same height as the masners on the proline web site

when they arrived they are noticeably taller than the mashers

Have not tried the trenchers They are to tall even taller than the GT2 tires

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie E Maxx

I bought the trenchers because they are listed as the same height as the masners on the proline web site

Yeah I discovered that the Pro-Line website has the same "specs" for every monster truck tire they list. I mentioned this to them when I talked to them and they said it was a mistake that would be corrected soon, so if you were going by the listed numbers...

And yeah, they are tall. About a full inch taller from stock from what I've been able to tell. How about weight? Pro-Line said the Trenchers would be lighter than their other tires they list for the E-Revo. Out of curiosity, how much taller are they over the 40 Series Masher (I asume you have the 40 series Masher and not the 2000)?

You don't plan to run them, then?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie E Maxx

Are your Mashers 40 series or the MT (2000?) version?

When people mention liking Mashers on their E-Revo it often isn't mentioned which size.

And if anyone else wants to share advice or experience, please chime in

RC Racer
    When people say mashers around here they mean the 3.2" unless specified otherwise

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rixhobbies
    Are your Mashers 40 series or the MT (2000?) version?

When people mention liking Mashers on their E-Revo it often isn't mentioned which size.

And if anyone else wants to share advice or experience, please chime in

You have three different Proline Masher tyres.

Maxx Masher / Masher MT which fits the 3.2 Maxx wheels (before they went to 3.8)

40 Series Masher, fits a 40 series or Axial Oversize wheel.

Masher 2000, which is the 2.2 inch truck tyre. This will fit the Rustler and Pede etc on a 2.2 truck rim. Traxxas uses 2.8 wheels as standard on the Rusty and Pede.

I've got a set of MOAB's I'm thinking of throwing on the Revo, but I like the Trencher tread pattern.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    You have three different Proline Masher tyres.

Maxx Masher / Masher MT which fits the 3.2 Maxx wheels (before they went to 3.8)

40 Series Masher, fits a 40 series or Axial Oversize wheel.

Masher 2000, which is the 2.2 inch truck tyre. This will fit the Rustler and Pede etc on a 2.2 truck rim. Traxxas uses 2.8 wheels as standard on the Rusty and Pede.

I've got a set of MOAB's I'm thinking of throwing on the Revo, but I like the Trencher tread pattern.
    Ah, OK, that makes sense. I want to find out what the diameter and weight are for the Masher MT and Masher 40 and compare that to the Trencher 40. I'm curious how that compares to the stock Talons.

I spoke with both Proline and Traxxas. Proline tells me that the new Trencher is the tire they recommend for the Revo for bashing above all others and that gearing should be my only adjustment to make. Traxxas tells me that they don't recommend any tire that strays from the weight and diameter of the stock Talons as it will put a strain on the drivetrain and suspension parts. However, I see many people run the larger tires (though most seem to run the smaller sets) so I don't know if the fear of breaking things with a tire like the Trenchers is a real concern or not. These tires are pricey to purchase only to find out that they will be bad for the truck, so I wanted to ping the group here before sinking money into them.

Quote Originally Posted by rixhobbies
    Ah, OK, that makes sense. I want to find out what the diameter and weight are for the Masher MT and Masher 40 and compare that to the Trencher 40. I'm curious how that compares to the stock Talons...
    Traxxas E-Revo Brushless Edition #5608, no batteries, ymmv:
    3917 grams with stock Gemini / Talon combination (8 lbs, 10.2 oz)
    4045 grams with HPI Warlock / GT2 combination (8 lbs, 14.7 oz)
    4283 grams with Maximizer / Masher (3.2" MT) combination (9 lbs, 7.1 oz)

Doing the math:
    the HPI combo adds 128 grams / 4.5 oz. total
    the M/M combo adds 366 grams / 12.9 oz. total

Even though the 3.2" Maximizer beadlock wheels are heavy, I can't believe that a much wider and taller 40-series tire would be much (if any) lighter, no matter which wheel you choose.

For a taller wheel combo, you may want to try the new Revo/T-Maxx 6.3" Maxx tire on Geode or Hurricane wheels or 6.7" Terra Pin tires on your choice of 3.2" wheels.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Terra Pins do look great on the maximizers. I'lll weigh Maximizers and Badlands against my MOAB's on Proline chrome (glue bead) wheels and post back with results.

KSB, I don't suppose you could find the fidderence in weight between the Mashers and TP's could you? Be interesting to know how much heavier or lighter the taller tyres are.

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by eemmaaxxxx
    Terra Pins do look great on the maximizers. I'lll weigh Maximizers and Badlands against my MOAB's on Proline chrome (glue bead) wheels and post back with results.

KSB, I don't suppose you could find the difference in weight between the Mashers and TP's could you? Be interesting to know how much heavier or lighter the taller tyres are.

Thanks.

Results are in: The MOAB's are glued onto Proline Velocity Chrome wheels. Standard foam and no taping. They are 14mm hex fitting.

Badlands are mounted on Maximizer Beadlocks, with half inch offset. Again standard moulded foams. Badlands are taped with two wraps of Duct tape. 8 screws per wheel.

MOAB's: 458g per Wheel/Tyre/Foam. Set of four comes to 1832g
    Badlands: 328g per Wheel/Tyre/Foam. Set of four comes to 1312g.

That's a weight difference of 520g per set of four. That's adding 130g per driveshaft!

RC Competitor
    I called Proline once more to get some specs as their website is inaccurate at the moment (they say it's going to be fixed). Here is what they gave me:

Masher 3.8 on Tech 5: Diameter 6.5” and Width 3.78” and Weight 370 grams
    Trencher 3.8 on Tech 5: Diameter 6.9” and Width 3.43” and Weight 450 grams
    Tech 5 Wheel: Weight 82 Grams

As to tire sizes, I was told that they (and the industry) is getting away from the 3.2" MT tires and going with the 3.8 40 series moving forward. They recommended both of the above combinations for bashing with the Mashers for street/all terrain and the Trenchers for loose dirt (construction sites and the like).

They also mentioned that the only time strain on the driveline becomes on issue is when running 6s. Basically, the fact that the 6s setup tends to be harder on the truck and that any stress a larger/heavier tire would have on the drivetrain would be multiplied.