Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I had been wanting to get some 17mm hex adapters for awhile now, but was just waiting to find a good deal on some quality parts. I rushed to get a set and bought the first available set back when the Slash was first released. Unfortunately, they were Integy units and thus wholly inadequate to the power of Lipo and brushless power. I found this set on ebay made by a small maker using high grade aluminum and have a double failsafe operation to keep them on the axle. They have a pin going through them held in place with an o-ring and then there is a nut threaded in the end to keep things tight. The seller had sold quite a few of them and had nothing but good feedback about them. For $20, I jumped......

Axial AX-10 rock lizards cut to fit JConcepts Rulux buggy wheels

Taking a beating and the lights are still working.....

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC poster
    did the proline trenchers work good
    Last edited by DMH2009; 01-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Yeah, they seem to work well in all conditions. I haven't had much of a chance to use them off-road as I'm not much into racing, and me and my buddy's schedules just can't seem to line up for us to bash (an hour away) at his place. I'm trying not to use them much around my house because it's mostly pavement and I don't want to wear 'em out. I need to get a set of SC wheels to mount my Pro-Line switch tires on. Those were pretty good on the street. I had them on the Pro-line SC bead-locks, but they just fly off under BL power. I was using those wheels on my crawler, but the wheels wouldn't hold up to the torque demands of that either - two of them stripped out. I'll probably use these 17mm wheels and tires for awhile. I don't care if they get trashed.

RC Champion
    I've run the Trenchers on just about every conceivable surface including snow with snow chains. They are great all terrain tires and excel in mud. You can find specialized tires that run on certain surfaces better but never a tire that runs on all surfaces as well.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Racer
    do the 17 mm wheel adapters stick he wheels an tires out farther than stock, or is it because you got wide tires giving it that look?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Yeah, they seem to work well in all conditions. I haven't had much of a chance to use them off-road as I'm not much into racing, and me and my buddy's schedules just can't seem to line up for us to bash (an hour away) at his place. I'm trying not to use them much around my house because it's mostly pavement and I don't want to wear 'em out. I need to get a set of SC wheels to mount my Pro-Line switch tires on. Those were pretty good on the street. I had them on the Pro-line SC bead-locks, but they just fly off under BL power. I was using those wheels on my crawler, but the wheels wouldn't hold up to the torque demands of that either - two of them stripped out. I'll probably use these 17mm wheels and tires for awhile. I don't care if they get trashed.
    If you were using the Split Siz beadlocks from PL and they failed you it's your fault, you did something wrong on the install. My beadlocks have no problem hanging on with my MMP and Speed Passion 4000kv motor. Not to mention several guys I race with who use them and don't have problems.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    No, I had the original Epics that many seemed to have problems with. I tried many times to make them stay on, short of using glue. I've had many sets of bead-locks and these are the only ones that give me problems.....

RC Racer
    Do you have a link to the 17mm adapters from ebay?

Also have you used them yet? Are they good.

RC Champion
    Well you said Proline SC beadlocks and the epics are 2.2s not the SC 2.2/3.0s so I assumed you meant the Split Sixes. Yes, the Epics have a terrible rep for throwing tires
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post

Haven't had a chance to run it with them on there yet; I've been terrible sick for a week now. Apparantly, a germ bomb went off in my house during the Christmas holidays. My wife, sister-in-law, mother-in-law, & nephew have all had the same thing. Even my dog seems sluggish. Hard to tell with him though!!

This is how he looks normally, so we may have to call in some experts....

RC Champion
    I'm finally getting over this cold I've had forever it seems. We have been getting snow all evening and it just quit. I got it a quick spin when it had just started. No pics of the action, but I snapped a few shots afterward to show the effectiveness of the JConcepts cover. Tomorrow, I'll do a little more running and get some pics. I ran for about a half an hour (on 2S Lipo) at nearly full throttle, spinning and sliding around. Despite never getting around to cutting a vent in the top of the chassis guard, the esc temp. when I was done read only 73 degrees. The motor was a bit hotter at 94 degrees. Pretty good, I thought....
    Uh, oh!

Full of snow!

Covered....

Just the tiniest bit of moisture! Works pretty well....

Cleaned it off with a little compressed air and hit the metal with a bit of WD-40. Batteries charged and ready to go for the morning! Stay tuned for the action pics....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 92LILREDYJ View Post

Sorry, I forgot to get back to answering you. After a ton of full throttle spinning everything is still tight and looking good.

Here's the link to the seller. He seems to sell a bunch of stuff at once and then takes a break for awhile. He has 100% feedback which is good. I do know I got the last set of these. Hopefully, he'll have more in the future.....you could always e-mail him and ask.

http://myworld.ebay.com/nitrohobbiesonline/

RC Champion
    I had the Slash out this morning again after clearing my driveway and was having a good time, until my truck wouldn't move. At first, I thought I had merely stripped the spur gear. When I got a little closer to the truck, I could see the wheel flopped over. I figured it was a broken carrier, but I broke the bottom corner of the shock tower off. Cold weather combined with sliding sideways off the curb onto the street did it. It's the first Pro-Trac part I have broken. While I like the different shock mounting positions, now I'm concerned with the durability of the plastic. I don't know if this would have happened with an RPM tower or not. Not sure if I want to get the Pro-Trac tower or the RPM one. I've never broken an RPM part.....what do you guys think?? (sorry I broke before I could get any cool pics of the running action....)

RC Champion
    Plastic breaks in the cold. Pretty straight forward deal cold makes the stuff brittle so it's bound to happen. I can't promise it wouldn't happen to an Rpm tower but I wouldn't hold it against Proline because their part broke in cold weather.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally View Post
    Plastic breaks in the cold. Pretty straight forward deal cold makes the stuff brittle so it's bound to happen. I can't promise it wouldn't happen to an Rpm tower but I wouldn't hold it against Proline because their part broke in cold weather.
    While I like the different shock mounting positions, now I'm concerned with the durability of the plastic. I don't know if this would have happened with an RPM tower or not. Not sure if I want to get the Pro-Trac tower or the RPM one. I've never broken an RPM part.....what do you guys think??
    I'm not holding it against Pro-Line for the part breaking in the cold. I know that this happens from time to time. I'm just wondering people's opinion of RPM vs. Pro-Trac in OVERALL durability. Anyways, the point is moot. I ordered an RPM shocktower last night after thinking it over. While the Pro-Trac part has more mounting options, I can can change the location of the turnbuckle on the carrier to achieve the same setup. Looking at the two parts the RPM one just has more material for durability's sake. I'm a basher, not a racer, so the pinpoint set-up options are secondary to toughness of parts for me. I was going to throw the stock tower back on to get it back on the road, but I'll be out of town for awhile anyways, so the shocktower should be waiting on me when I get home.

Lots of empty space, I'm just sayin'.......

Upon further inspection, maybe the stock part isn't a good option. I'll save this for when I have to replace it on the fly during a remote bash session.....

RC Champion
    Well there is something you didn't consider. The protrac tower is 20mm's wider then the stock and rpm towers. Allows the shocks to sit more vertical over the longer arms. So you're truck won't handle as well
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally View Post
    Well there is something you didn't consider. The protrac tower is 20mm's wider then the stock and rpm towers. Allows the shocks to sit more vertical over the longer arms. So you're truck won't handle as well
    I said in the last post that set-up wasn't as important as durability was to me. I know there are differences. I'm not trying to shave tenths off lap times, just trying to keep the thing together after it cartwheels across my yard......

RC Champion
    I finally got my RPM shocktower and got everything all put back together. We got some more fresh snow so I took the Slash for a spin. I didn't really notice any handling differences vs. having the Pro-Trac one on there, but then again, I was basically just goofing around, sliding and spinning in the driveway and street. Thought I'd post a few pics since I broke before I could snap any shots last time out. (I HATE trying to snap pics and drive at the same time!)

RC Champion
    Been awhile since I've updated the status of this truck. A while back, I decided I didn't really need two modified Slashes. Basically, I took the best parts of the two trucks and combined them into one Slash. I combined my Xtreme Racing chassis with my Pro-Trac setup, added a Castle SV2 system and my Spektrum radio gear. It has 32 pitch gears, RPM rear shocktower, RPM casters & hubs, Trencher tires, Pro-Line steering, and RPM bumpers, skids, and flaps. The last time I ran it, I broke one of the steering hubs. Usually, I fix these things right away. At the time, I was all set to move, so my poor broken Slash got put in a box and then in a storage locker for a few months. After months of work on my new house, life is pretty much normal now. I finally got the parts in to fix my Slash. Upon inspection, I also came to realize that some of my hinge pins were also bent. Rather than replace with stock parts, I decided to get some STRC captured hinges. I must say, these things are great! E-clips are just no fun!! I also got RPM steering blocks and a rebuild kit for a Hitec 645mg servo I want to put on there.

Did you remount your esc?I have the same over tray,but wont fit with my fan,not that i should need it in the snow,But I was just curious.These are my favorite snow tires[IMG][/IMG]
    I'm finally getting over this cold I've had forever it seems. We have been getting snow all evening and it just quit. I got it a quick spin when it had just started. No pics of the action, but I snapped a few shots afterward to show the effectiveness of the JConcepts cover. Tomorrow, I'll do a little more running and get some pics. I ran for about a half an hour (on 2S Lipo) at nearly full throttle, spinning and sliding around. Despite never getting around to cutting a vent in the top of the chassis guard, the esc temp. when I was done read only 73 degrees. The motor was a bit hotter at 94 degrees. Pretty good, I thought....
    Uh, oh!

Full of snow!

Covered....

Just the tiniest bit of moisture! Works pretty well....

Cleaned it off with a little compressed air and hit the metal with a bit of WD-40. Batteries charged and ready to go for the morning! Stay tuned for the action pics....
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-07-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    I haven't had the cover on the truck since changing the chassis to the Xtreme chassis. Also I am using the VXL system in my Wraith and got a Castle SV2 4600 combo on here now. The Wraith just goes better in the snow with 4wd and four of the same tires you are running. That orange body looks really cool on your Slash!! I think I want to do a 14rs Pro-Line body using orange in the future. Trouble is, I already have three bodies I want to do first. This truck won't see much running until Spring, so that's ok.

Well my trucks are all 2wd,hears a pic of mi castle set up,I'm just getting ready to install the new rpm trans case[IMG][/IMG]
    I haven't had the cover on the truck since changing the chassis to the Xtreme chassis. Also I am using the VXL system in my Wraith and got a Castle SV2 4600 combo on here now. The Wraith just goes better in the snow with 4wd and four of the same tires you are running. That orange body looks really cool on your Slash!! I think I want to do a 14rs Pro-Line body using orange in the future. Trouble is, I already have three bodies I want to do first. This truck won't see much running until Spring, so that's ok.

I have three body's also,but the Roby Gorden is the one i get the most comments on.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    Are those Jato tires on there? I gotta get some street tires for this thing instead of tearing up my dirt tires all the time. Until I get out an explore my new locale a bit more, most of my running is around the house using plastic and wood ramps and that means a lot of pavement usage.

I have Jatos but that's not them,I run those on my pro trac system as they have the recessed rims

RC Champion
    I finally ended up getting an RPM tranny case, pretty much by accident. We were out for a night of fun in Pittsburgh, and while trying to find Joe's Crab Shack, I found a Hobbytown. The girls wanted to go to a shop nearby, so I found a few minutes to run in and see what they had. I found the tranny case and a few other goodies I wanted. I didn't have to work last night, so I got to rip apart my Slash to make the switch. I had been planning on doing this, so I had a new set of bearings on hand for this project. I was considering buying all new gears, but after inspecting them and detecting no wear, I just cleaned and re-lubed everything.

Along with finding my RPM tranny case, I also found a pot of crab legs, shrimp, and lobster.

Pretty and new is good!!

Cleaned and relubed.

Looks great! 32P gears are the way to go.

I had also been meaning to replace to the tube between the mud flaps. I lost it awhile back during a hard bashing session. This piece of Axial link and a couple of spacers worked pretty well.

Looks pretty good. Everything lined up and fit perfectly as all RPM goods do.

My ProTrac Slash is now almost really complete. Only three stock parts remain --
    1. tie bar - now that Pro-Line makes one I'll have to get it. I had an ebay aluminum one on there, but kept bending it.

2. Bulkhead - early on, I bought an Integy one for it, because at the time, it was the only one available. The stock one has held up better. The Integy one got sold off years ago. Think I'll go STRC as a replacement.

3. Driveshafts - had the MIP dogbone ones on here but could never keep those retainer rings on there. Eventually, I broke one and put the stock ones back on. I may go with the Pro-Line ones, but want to hear how they hold up. Tired of being the guinea pig for all these parts. If that's no good, I may just go with 4x4 shafts or MIP xduty.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    like Homeboy mentioned above the Losi8 shocks are supposed to be the cats meow for the slash 2wd... Get the Buggy 2.0 version, front for the front, rear for the rear. Looks how they are twice as wide as power strokes.... they will never break and mae it run like its on plush king shocks in comparison. I just bought them for my latest build...cant wait. Also, better shocks take more of the hit so less transfers to the car...in theory...unless you land on your back bumper upside down lol ...whooops
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    like Homeboy mentioned above the Losi8 shocks are supposed to be the cats meow for the slash 2wd... Get the Buggy 2.0 version, front for the front, rear for the rear. Looks how they are twice as wide as power strokes.... they will never break and mae it run like its on plush king shocks in comparison. I just bought them for my latest build...cant wait. Also, better shocks take more of the hit so less transfers to the car...in theory...unless you land on your back bumper upside down lol ...whooops
    You know, that's funny that you mention that. I have been so close to buying them many times. I just love the look of them, and they're obviously very tough. I was in a hobby shop and had too much cash in hand and got the big bores. I have to say, they have held up to a lot of abuse so far. I was using Integy E-Maxx shocks on there, figuring they could hold up with a lighter truck. WRONG! Now all I use them for is on a scaler truck. (At least the four that still survive!) We all have skeletons in the closet.....mine is buying Integy parts back when I was a noob and didn't know better. Those Losi shocks, though.......sweeeet. One day I'll get a set. Those GTR's for the Slash Ultimate look pretty nice, too. Selling on ebay already.....

RC Champion
    Well despite making over my E 4Tec and my P2de already this winter, I finally got the last few parts I have been wanting for my poor "neglected" slash. I ended up getting STRC Caster blocks, hinge pins, and bulkhead, heavy duty 4x4 axles, and a Pro-Line 14rs body. I also got a set of Street fighters to mount on the protrac wheels I got with my kit I bought for my P2de build. I now think this Slash will really be complete! Should have all the parts in a few days. Can't wait for spring to get here! Three rebuilt pristine RC's to drive. Giggity.

I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet, but it'll be cool.

stampede 4 life
    If I were you I would get the strc aluminum shock towers. Holds up in cold weather and you still get the different shock mounting positions.

RC Champion
    I had Xtreme Racing aluminum shock towers on there for awhile when I first got the chassis, but I couldn't keep the rear tower tight no matter what I tried. It started to oval out the mounting holes for the tower. I ended up getting rid of the aluminum towers. The front is still the original Pro Trac one I got with the kit and the rear one is an RPM unit I got when I broke the Pro Trac tower. I have the pro-line mounts, but the rear doesn't match the existing holes on my bodies. Now I have a set of RPM body mounts to go on there.

stampede 4 life
    I hAve them on my pede and with a little thread lockerI haven't had to tighten them for six months now I'm just waiting for racing season

RC Champion
    Maybe the STRC ones are a bit different in how they mount or something. Anyways, I really like the RPM stuff. I like that the plastic gives a bit and retains its shape. Two more days, and my box of goodies will be here. I'm gonna paint up my P2de body tomorrow, and once my Slash rebuild is done, I'll get to work on my 14RS body.

stampede 4 life
    Cool this thing looks great!

RC Qualifier
    I want these wheels in a closer offset to 2 or 3 tops and maybe 0 but they are HOT!

RC Qualifier
    I think I want the RPM tranny setup with 32P now... Looks beefcake! Stock Raptor Tranny is 30$ and the RPM deal is 30$... and then slippers... I bet thats one of the lightest to toughest ratio of trans setups you can do right now huh

RC Champion
    Whoo hoo! The friendly UPS man brought me yet another round of parts to play with tonight. Some in this pic are for my 4Tec and Stampede, too. If I get everything on the Slash like I'm planning tonight, my Slash will not have a single original part left on it! I also want to start prepping my 14RS body for some paint. No work until Sunday at midnight, so plenty of time for RC fun. More updates later.....

I had to get another RPM tranny, because I robbed the one of this Slash for my Stampede project. I had every other part for that ready to go, and when I ordered those parts, the tranny was out of stock. Now both trucks get one!!

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Tonight, i got time to work on the Slash, and I made the most of it. I got all my new goodies on the Slash, and I like it! Pretty much got everything dialed in and fitted the 14RS body. I have to say, I thought I could mount it almost like a road body, but the front wheels hit if it's too low. Seems they could have made it a bit longer.

Got the tranny attatched to the skid; all new gears and bearings included.

Pretty good so far....

New brace, king pins, bulkhead and casters. Looks good and went together smoothly.

Good thing I got the STRC king pins; this one has seen better days!

Using the Pro-Line mounts in conjunction with the RPM ones.

Body looks good, but just needs some tweaking to run it with the front bumper.

I like these thumb twisters to secure the body.

Had to notch out the rear to get it to work with the rear bumper/wheely bar combo. Had to take off the mud flaps though. Might be able to put them back on since I had to raise the body to get it to look right.

Now all I gotta do is get this baby painted. (Still working on my P2de project body, too!)

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 03-01-2013 at 05:42 AM.

RC Champion
    Finally got some paint flying on this rig today. Nice weather today, too. Much easier to paint when the temps are in the 60's rather than in the 30's! Came out pretty good. Some of the lines are not quite as straight as I wanted them, but no major problems. I wanted to use Parma Fasflourescent red, but I discovered I didn't have enough to do the job. I took the rest of that, added some Fasorange, and a bunch of Fasflourescent yellow. Came out ok and looks good with the Fascent blue. The white is Faswhite with some sparkle powder added. The basement shots don't do it justice. I'll get some shots out in the sun tomorrow and get the rest of the decals on there too. The decals on the rear are on the inside, and I used XXX Main picture glue. I left the liquid mask on them and traced around them when I took the rest of the mask off. Better protection. I also put the new tires and wheels on there. Looks like a different vehicle altogether!!

RC Racer
    I told you this on another thread but I finally had the time to run through this build, break and build and couldn't wait to see how it looked when you finished for "now."

Great work, artist and engineer. Pretty good at demo as well it appears.

Excellent work yet again!