Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

My Protrac Slash is now complete!!

After a few quick spins and launches off my mega ramp, once again, my old shock problem resurfaced. The problem being that I can't get through a reasonable amount of time without bending them or beaking them in some way. I decided after much debate, to get a set of Traxxas aluminum Big Bores. Hopefully they will stand up to my abuse. I also decided to get a set of the RPM light buckets for the rear bumper. I'm sure they will eventually fail, but I hooked up a set of Mag Light LED's to a AA rechargeable battery and made a structure for it all to sit on. I had all the stuff laying around to hook up the lights so why not?

New shocks...

Side view

Head shot

Lights!

Donor lights

Donor cheapie Harbor Freight battery

Heated and bent some Plastruct to make a platform for the battery and wiring to attatch to....

A little ugly, but all is hidden....

Not bad....

Can you see me now?

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    I have the big bores on the rear after busting the heck out of the stockers and they have survived a lot of abuse. I spent an hour yesterday jumping my truck off a burm down and 8 foot drop. I'll admit I did a lot of roof and bumper landings but I landed on the wheels just as much and didn't have any shock problems.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Yeah, if I bust these shocks up, I don't know what I'll try next. Maybe I'll have to use LST shocks. From what I hear, it doesn't seem like the Pro-line shocks would be any better than the Big Bores. I was considering using Jato shocks, but the problem with those is the rear end would be a little low.

RC Champion
    Well, that didn't take long! My truck is now in pieces!! The good thing is that it wasn't my normal shock problem. I was doing my normal launching and I guess I was chancing things because it is an extremely windy day here with strong gusts. Anyways, my truck was at its peak heighth in the air and sure enough, a HUGE gust caught my truck. I wish I had it on video, because it did a complete backflip and spun around backwards and landed on the wheels. I thought it was cool until I went to move the truck. BAD sounds coming from the tranny! Strange that it didn't take out the spur gear; maybe the 32 pitch transferred the shock internally. I have the rear end of the truck off and I'll split the cases later. I also discovered that I lost two screws out of the RPM bumper and two others were coming loose. I also found the chassis - to - tranny screws seem to have stripped out. Not good. Gotta come up with a fix for that. My bashing days always end up like this.....

RC Enthusiast
    Try the Proline Chasis saver

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dashat2
    Try the Proline Chasis saver
    I considered getting one of those before. I just looked at the detail photos of it and the screws backed out of the tranny. The side that the Pro-Line piece deals with is fine. I'm thinking about dremeling off the bottom of where the screw bottoms out on the tranny to have enough room to put a nut to secure those screws. I think it will work. Just need to use some caution so I don't cut into the housing itself, weakening it.
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 10-01-2010 at 10:48 PM.

RC Champion
    Well in regards to the chassis saver, even if it wouldn't have prevented this problem you're having now with how tough you seem to be on that truck I don't expect you to go much longer without breaking the chassis. I broke my nice pretty dyed black chassis and made sure to pickup a chassis saver along with my replacement chassis and haven't had a problem since. The chassis saver is metal so it also adds a bit of weight right between the drive tires which is a good thing.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    If I end up breaking this chassis, I'll probably end up getting an Extreme Racing chassis. I have one for my BackSlash with RPM towers and skids attatched to a stock tranny housing. That truck has taken a horrible amount of abuse and the only issues I seem to have is shocks blowing up. I got the cases split open and my thoughts were correct. I stripped out the large planetary gear. Fifteen bucks and a little work and it'll be good as new.

The empty holes are the ones that stripped out. The Pro-Line part helps on the other side.

Doesn't look good....

Whoops!

RC Champion
    Lol let off the throttle when you're in the air
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally
    Lol let off the throttle when you're in the air
    Yeah, normally that works great. When a wind gust causes you to land squarely on the wheels backwards that doesn't work perfectly. When they're still spinning forwards, that shock had to go somewhere. It also caused me to land on pavement instead of the grass as I had been. I wish I had it on video. It was awesome! Until I tried to drive away.....

RC Champion
    Oh I missed the part where you said you landed backwards! Usually when jumping my truck the body catching air has been beneficial, I can't count how many times the truck has entered a barrel roll only to have it reversed when the body catches wind and corrects the flight of the truck.
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    Wow--- sorry about the damage....

Following this thread has prompted me to get off my behind and put that protrac stuff onto a chassis....

btw--- love the body work--- very nice

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    If those shocks don't hold up, got to go with 8ight 2.0 shocks. My slash basher lands like it is landing on pillows. That and 2.2 tires help.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster
    If those shocks don't hold up, got to go with 8ight 2.0 shocks. My slash basher lands like it is landing on pillows. That and 2.2 tires help.

Cool!!!! Can you post another pic of that rig on another thread--- that is cool-- want to see it -- but I don't want to hijack this thread----

I also ordered same shock so good to hear the feedback on it-

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nunster
    If those shocks don't hold up, got to go with 8ight 2.0 shocks.
    I may end up getting those shocks for my BackSlash. That is the truck I REALLY bash hard with. I have to get another Castle motor for it first, though. The can has pulled through all the screws and is currently being held together with a bunch of electrical tape and the temps have gotten as high as 206F. The last two times I tried to run it, it cogged terriblly and really wouldn't run. Time for a new motor, I believe!

RC Champion
    I got the new diff unit and I figured as long as I had it apart I might as well dye it black to match the rest of the truck. Had to clean out all the gunk and give the bearings a blast of cleaner as well.

I also notched out the part where the screws go into the tranny from the chassis. I had to make a bit bigger of a space for the nut to fit. It may not work out, but it wasn't working before, anyways. If it fails, I'll have to get a new housing for the tranny.

RC Qualifier
    Did you ever try epoxy?
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Champion
    Epoxy for what? The screw threads? No, I want to be able to take it apart without destroying it. I think this will work. The material I removed is pretty minimal. Just enough to allow the end of the screws to poke through so I can get a nut on the end. The thing I see happening is the tabs beaking off completely at some point. There's obviously a bunch of shock going to that area or the screws wouldn't have backed out in the first place. Now with screws being locked in, the plastic tab itself will be the weak place instead of the threads. This is the second chassis for this truck; the next one will be made of aluminum. I'm thinking FLM or Xtreme. I have the Xtreme one on my BackSlash, so I may go with that one, because it has held up well.

RC Champion
    I had the Slash out running the other day in a very minimal amount of snow and even though it was a dusting of a snowfall, when I pulled the lid off the truck, it the chassis was full of slush and water. While the VXL system is waterproof and the receiver is sealed up, I don't want the Lipo getting soaked. I'm also a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my RC's and I like to keep them clean. I was at the hobby shop yesterday to pick up a few things and decided to pick up THIS cover from JConcepts. I got it all trimmed, cleaned up and decided to add some internal graphics. I'm using a few things cut out of some magazines and picture glue from XXX Main. Right now I'm waiting for the glue to set up. Here's the progress so far....

Trimmed and cleaned up....

I like to lay the graphics on the outside to trace them. Once I do that, I take some extra fine model sandpaper and scuff exactly where the graphics are going to bond to the body to ensure adhesion....

Just gotta wait for the glue to dry and I'll lay out my paint scheme and apply some liquid mask. Featuring Control freak Connie!

More updates later today....

RC Qualifier
    was the diif that was in that thing originally plastic

RC Racer
    ha, I wonder how big a "mega giant scale" servo would be...

but the outer diff gear that you stripped out looked like plastic? Like it was just part of the case?... that seems weird.

I guess bigdodge and I both noticed it at the same time haha
    Last edited by username unrelated; 12-16-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    I accidentally my whole truck.

RC Champion
    So Maxxmasher I get the feeing that popping the body off and seeing this wouldgive you panic attacks

Lol. Just Fyi you need to get a scoop on that Jconcepts overtray or you'll over heat the Esc. The only guys I've seen successfully run the overtrays modiffied them to allow airflow to the esc.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    was the diif that was in that thing originally plastic
    I'm not 100% sure about that. I bought that Slash new when they were just released. I thought they came with the all metal geared tranny from the start. Maybe they changed them after awhile? I did sell it to my buddy for a spell. I missed the truck after about six months and got it back in a trade. I don't think he replaced any tranny parts, but I suppose it's possible he did and put in the plastic gear since he only ran it with a brushed set-up.

RC Champion
    I'm pretty sure the first brushed slash's had the tranny with the plastic gears.
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Federally View Post
    So Maxxmasher I get the feeing that popping the body off and seeing this wouldgive you panic attacks

Yeah a little! LOL!

Lol. Just Fyi you need to get a scoop on that Jconcepts overtray or you'll over heat the Esc. The only guys I've seen successfully run the overtrays modiffied them to allow airflow to the esc.
    I was thinking the same thing. I might cut the square out of the top so the fan will have a little fresh intake. One thing, though; the only time I think I'll use it is when it's snowy, so the outside temps will help keep the ESC temp in check.

RC Qualifier
    i cant believe that plastic gear held up for any amount of time against that brushless

RC Qualifier
    seeing all this snow on your cars is makin me upset. I missed the first snow here ( one of few we will probably get ) waiting for a servo. I put the servo in yesterday made sure it worked at the shop and then no motor. I had worn the brushes out completely. Had a ice storm today and I have no motor. So mad i cant see strait

RC Racer
    It hasn't even snowed up here in southern New Hampshire yet!
    I want it to snow quite badly! I have my Slash all set up with waterproof everything, just WAITING for the snow...
    but nothing yet.
    I accidentally my whole truck.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdodge44150 View Post
    i cant believe that plastic gear held up for any amount of time against that brushless
    Yeah, the Slash was brushed most of it's life. I've only had the VXL system in it for a short time. Wish I would've taken the tranny apart to dye it when I first did the rest of the truck. I would've spotted that plastic gear and replaced it while I had it apart the first time! Now that it has the VXL in it, I'm sure its just a matter of time before the chassis/tranny interface gives out in some manner. I see a black Xtreme racing aluminum chassis in it's future....

RC Champion
    Maxx my suggestion is to get this

http://www.bluegrooveconcepts.com/ca...oduct_id=29840

and put a scoop on that overtray. No matter what the ambient temps are if you don't get that cold air flowing around the Esc you'll overheat. BigSquid RC did a write up on this here:

http://www.bluegrooveconcepts.com/ca...oduct_id=29840

You can buy premade scoops to put on bodys but I like this method, it's only $5 and since you're just doing an overtray why drop the dough on something pre done.
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    why not just get another fan and mount it to the overtray and wire it up to the one on the esc.

RC Champion
    Those are pretty cool, but I may go with one of these......

http://www.oocrcracing.com/

I got my overtray finished up last night. Nothing too fancy, but it turned out pretty good. I may have to drop the Mamba in here, lose the bumpers and body mounts and try some speed runs. Seems this would be nice and aerodynamic.....

Connie is gonna get ya!!

RC Champion
    I'm impressed with the paintjob. Much better then anything I can do
    Moline, IL

RC Champion
    Yeah, it's got me thinking; it would be cool to do a matching body for it. I like the Pro-Line 14RS and the JConcepts Raptor F-150.

RC Champion
    I like prolines raptor body better. However Jconcepts bodys are super wide and do a good job covering the tires of a protrac slash.
    Moline, IL

Did you mount a Castle fan on the VXL esc?? Tell us how you mounted it, the castle esc fans are a lot less $$ than Traxxas.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Actually, I think it's a fan out of an old laptop. I just zip-tied it around the esc and soldered on a jst plug. Works quite good....

RC Enthusiast
    how well does the proline protrak kit hold up compared to its RPM equivalent array of parts? ive been defintely considering getting the proline kit due to the wider geometry of the shock towers and the arms too maybe, but ive heard great things, and also some not-so-great things.im not much of a racer, but i do bash all the time, but i do enjoy my share of great handling, ive already got the STRC LCG rustler kit on my slash, so if these pro line parts can hold up then i may have to get them.

RC Qualifier
    For the fans, what channel do you plug them into on the receiver?

RC Champion
    The Pro-line parts seem to be holding up pretty well. I haven't really bashed the the tuck too hard, but it's taken some pretty good hits. As for the fan, I just plugged it into an open channel. I'm using a Speltrum unit, so it may be different on a stocker. I suppose it would be just as easy to use a seperate battery pack (9v) or AA....
    On another note, I just got a set of 17mm adapters for it, so look for some pics soon...