RC Qualifier

two chassis bolted together

ok so i know that this would work fine for 4ws (two front halfs of the chassis bolted together). It work fine for going slow and crawling, but the rear wheels would now have the same caster setup but reversed. Is that going to be a problem at higher speeds?, i would think not if a powerfull servo was holding the rear end straight.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

Thats a interesting idea the caster and camber is adjustable you could figure a way to make it longer too.quadiak is getting a steering computer that sounds like the answer for the steering.BTW I will soon be dewalt 2s x2 evx2 as well you still happy with it?
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I have been contemplating getting a Kershaw Designs extended wheel base chassis and getting a local machine shop to redo the upper plate with a front setup on both ends, for just this purpose.

My rear steering, even though it is quite well protected and the geometry seems ok, is flexing my chassis, very very hard. I just received my Hi-tec 7955 servo for the rear, so I will find out tonite just how it handles high torque. keep your fingers crossed
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I have been contemplating getting a Kershaw Designs extended wheel base chassis and getting a local machine shop to redo the upper plate with a front setup on both ends, for just this purpose.

My rear steering, even though it is quite well protected and the geometry seems ok, is flexing my chassis, very very hard. I just received my Hi-tec 7955 servo for the rear, so I will find out tonite just how it handles high torque. keep your fingers crossed
    I'll cross a few toes as well......
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    Thats a interesting idea the caster and camber is adjustable you could figure a way to make it longer too.quadiak is getting a steering computer that sounds like the answer for the steering.BTW I will soon be dewalt 2s x2 evx2 as well you still happy with it?
    thanks, yeah im eager about the steering computer.
    its a great setup, i had mine set up for crawling, just toasted my lipo cuttoff though so im take a stab at waterproofing a brushless setup. Im try and get it to run 2s for crawling and 6s for bashing. it needs that big of a gap cause really slow is nice for crawling, and with huge tires you really have to gear it to go slow, bump it up to 6s for bashing because its geared so slow and the tires are now really tiny it will only go mabey 30mph or so.

id just gear it slow to be crawler setup, cause i have a speed truck, but this is more interesting to try, and pair that with the 4ws and you have a crawler and a basher in one, mind you change a setting or two before you go out.

You know Dan fron Kershaw will customize the chassis to your needs. I dont know if there would be an extra charge.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    You know Dan fron Kershaw will customize the chassis to your needs. I dont know if there would be an extra charge.
    Maybe if a few of us, or better yet a bunch emailed requests in Dan would take notice.

RC Racer
    I wonder if he reads this board. I'll be buying the aluminum chassis when he releases it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkteacher
    I wonder if he reads this board. I'll be buying the aluminum chassis when he releases it.
    i remember him posting on the e maxx forums
    if your not breaking anything get more air

yes he reads here alot- he got caught up in a few debates in the erevo forum.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    ok so i plan on doing this mod 2 stock front ends bolted together.

anyone else going for this as well?

RC Champion
    I really love the idea, but i wish traxxas would build one for me.

RC Qualifier
    I really love the idea, but i wish traxxas would build one for me.
    lol, i'll show them how its done, just wish they'd pay me for it.

OK I'll be the lone nay sayer.

Erevo bodies are cheap, the idea is completely feasible, and a "dual front end body" of course would inherently have perfect steering set up

but with the 4ws you already have you can still adjust the caster and camber as is. If you attach your toe links as close to the chassis as possible the 2-3mm angle (resulting in slight outward angling of the rear tires) is almost negligable. Especially when running larger imprecise tires and stiffer rear springs, even at fairly high speeds (30ish). - Not knocking the project nor the quest for perfection but is the minimum gain worth it?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    lol noir I should have said i'll show you how it's done, to answer your question it will be worth it, and it won't be that hard to do. sure these things cost money, iv'gotten over that part, if want to try somthing cool, I go for it. not sure what you were getting at about the toe link and angles, try that one past me ng please.

on my 4ws set up my biggest issue was the toe links,when seen from above the links did not run directly straight across the body but instead made a "v" pattern. at a stand still it made no difference but at high speeds the rear end would squat down and the toe links (sorry turn buckles) would push the tires on a slightly outward angle. I solved it with using spacers. I "assumed" this may have been an issue with yours. So are you doing this project due to issues or problems, or is it mostly a project for the interest of that which is not done before/unexplored?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    ah bumpsteer, yeah i solved that issue on mine as well.

the thing i didn't like at the end just before i took it off was that the wheels hit the a-arms and wouldnt turn very far at all when the suspension was in a certain positon, so it worked but not all the time.

i decided then if i were to put 4ws back on id do two front ends, i thought about making an aluminum chassis but that looked to be quite the challenge, so I went back to my original idea of two front ends that i had a long time ago, i was asking about jb welding the two halfs together at the time. so yeah it hasn't been done before, and ive been thinking about doing this for a long time.

hmn so id didnt have the idea right away
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=494874
    Last edited by Brasher; 09-24-2010 at 08:13 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasher
    ah bumpsteer, yeah i solved that issue on mine as well.

the thing i didn't like at the end just before i took it off was that the wheels hit the a-arms and wouldnt turn very far at all when the suspension was in a certain positon, so it worked but not all the time.

i decided then if i were to put 4ws back on id do two front ends, i thought about making an aluminum chassis but that looked to be quite the challenge, so I went back to my original idea of two front ends that i had a long time ago, i was asking about jb welding the two halfs together at the time. so yeah it hasn't been done before, and ive been thinking about doing this for a long time.

hmn so id didnt have the idea right away
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=494874
    okay that thread ^^^^ is hilarious.

To throw in my 2bits. I think you would need to cut 1 1/2" past the center where you want them to join. then figure out way to make slices length wise with the chassis which align(picture a dovetail joint, but overlapping) so you could over lap them 1 1/2" and rivet the overlaps together. them some kind of thin rigid strip inside the battery boxes.

IMO it will be hard to make a chassis which has been seamed back together strong enough to do this. (VID)

but then again zips ties make great stitches on Quad fenders
    Last edited by quadiak; 09-24-2010 at 08:49 PM.

that thread - htose erevo guys can really dish it out. Yea I agree with quadiak - a thin strip for support and 3mm pop rivets should be sturdy enough.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Qualifier
    okay that thread ^^^^ is hilarious.

To throw in my 2bits. I think you would need to cut 1 1/2" past the center where you want them to join. then figure out way to make slices length wise with the chassis which align(picture a dovetail joint, but overlapping) so you could over lap them 1 1/2" and rivet the overlaps together. them some kind of thin rigid strip inside the battery boxes.

IMO it will be hard to make a chassis which has been seamed back together strong enough to do this. (VID)

but then again zips ties make great stitches on Quad fenders
    nice idea, might be kinda hard to do, but sounds very good.
    id planed bolting aluminum to make some kind of frame, kinda where the center skid exists, mabey angle or somthing idk and bolting it together

RC Qualifier
    its coming

RC Champion
    awesome, cant wait

RC Qualifier