RC Qualifier

Flying with my Slash on Alaska Air... any issues or advice?

Taking the Slash, a few hex drivers, two NiMh batteries, and the controller .... any advice od hang-ups you see? Was going to pack it with my clothes and place it in two large garbage bags in case anything leaks.... leaning towards carry-on

I would suggest shipping it to where you are going. Bringing things on airplanes is a hassle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    I would suggest shipping it to where you are going. Bringing things on airplanes is a hassle.
    good point-- not too worried about the security portion- more worried about shocks, fluids, altitude, etc...

I travel with HD cameras and audio gear weekly- so used to carrying that stuff with me-- but am concerned about the hex drivers--

the guys in BOI and SFO pretty much know me and expect me to open all my carry-on gear with mics and batteries, etc

I also do several cities in a week- so can't really ship- though that would be a good option when I go for a long period to same location

RC Qualifier
    I took mine to florida from ohio on southwest 2 years ago, and it was almost fine. I wrote a little note explaining what some things that could be misconstrued as bombs, and when I got to my hotel room, they had taken the note, and my bad of allen wrenches. Fortunately I was able to get some cheap ones at some hobbystore. Otherwise, it was fine.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You wont be able to bring the hex drivers in your carry on, they will confiscate them for sure, the batteries are also a problem. Your allowed to have batteries IN whatever your bringing, but your not supposed to pack EXTRA batteries in a carry on. You can check this stuff though. I also travel with camera gear and have been told multiple times to only have one battery in the equipment and to check the rest. Ive had any tools left in my camera or mic bags confiscated (even micro screwdrivers). The truck wont be a problem... ive travel with an RC before and the radio shouldnt be a problem either. Id be prepared to test it though. Packing it overly well inside multiple bags may seem more suspicious than simply packing it on its own in your bag.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    If you check it youll be fine for sure. I guess it also depends on the person inspecting your Items also. I went from Florida to Chicago. At the Tampa Airport I tried to carry on my 4-tec and they wanted to confiscate it saying the remote could be a remote detonating device. but they said if I check it it would be ok. Going home from Chicago I tried carrying on and they said it was fine as long as I leave it in the bag and dont take it out. I didnt have any tools but I did have the car 3 battery packs a charger and the radio.

RC Qualifier
    I took mine across the boarder from canada and as long as its a checked item its fine.. tools and all...

just dont be stupid and try to check it as carry on.. otherwise your asking for issues

RC Qualifier
    Yup, check it...u'll be fine. You can check a firearm (if ur licesed to carry it of course) on a plane if u wanted to. You're items will be fine.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Champion
    Never had an issue when I checked stuff. Carry ons are a different story... I had a TSA guy make me plug in my Homemade 8 cell NiMh pack to prove it really was a battery... TSA guys also get a little weird around LiPo's. I've had several ask me why the battery had more than 2 wires and when I pulled out the balancer they really freaked.... Too many flashing lights for their simple minds....

Save yourself a headache and make a special box with foam padding and check all of it..
    Last edited by john01374; 09-22-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm