RC Champion

Keep Blowing Diffs

Alright, in the past few months i have blown 3 diffs. This last one went out while going slowly around a dirt oval track. The truck wasnt even used that much since i last replaced it. However the last time all i did was replace the gears.

So what should i do. Im thinking about ordering a all new diff, and a tranny case. Maybe its warped or something and the outputs are coming out at an angle.

Im getting really tired of tearing the thing apart so i want it to be done this time. My friend said he never blew a diff in it the entire year and a half he had it. and he was running the same motor I am. (CC 4600 on 2s).
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Champion
    Maybe your slipper is too tight? My diff still looks like new after 9 months, 7 of which were on an ezrun 4000kv brushless set.

RC Qualifier
    think you might get a better response from the 4x4 Slash section. This is 2wd. I blew 3 diffs also within 2 months. called traxxas and they are sending me some "upgraded" parts. think it might have something to do with the bearing that is in front of the CD. my CD was moving like 8mm from front to back. Traxxas said it shouldn't have any play in it. I'd give them a call and let them help you out or at least point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Arakon
    Maybe your slipper is too tight? My diff still looks like new after 9 months, 7 of which were on an ezrun 4000kv brushless set.
    I'm about 99.9% sure he is talking about the 4x4 Slash. (look in his signature) you are refering to the 2wd Diff, which is like a iron horse...lol I havn't had any problems with my 2wd Diff in the Mod or Stock Slash at all. The Center Differential replaces the Slipper on the 4x4.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-20-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: merge
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

RC Champion
    According to his signature, the CC motor is in his 2WD.

RC Qualifier
    ok...i was going by his name and his signature. And I don't see how he keeps blowing 2wd Diffs....?????? Never had 1 single problem with mine and i beat the crap out of those trucks on the track. Now the 4x4 Center Diff I have had a TON of problems out of. Guess we all get a little confused sometimes.
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

I actually jsut had mine go on me last night. It was weird, over a year on 2 rustlers both with original diff and then this one goes out on me after a few weeks, but in a slash. This one was always more open feeling than the others so maybe some heavy grease or something tacky could rectify my problem.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    I have not had a problem with any of my diffs, and I own a slash (almost 3 years), a bandit/rusty(2.5 years), and 2 other rustys(2 and 1 years, respectively). You might want to try re-greasing everything and replacing your bearings.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

I have 2 slashes. No problems with the diffs. Have had both over a year! One is 2 years old.

RC Champion
    The first two went because of the venom cvds but now this one just went out with almost no pressure on it at all. Id be willing to bet my transmission case is bad. since the venom cvds really hit it hard going off jumps since they were too long. and when i put it back together with new gears it ground a little bit.

i need a new tranny case anyways. the gear cover holes are stripped out. I will replace the 2 bearings also.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv