Thread: What next?

RC Racer

What next?

Well, i have a slash with a vxl and rpm arms/skids using a baja bug body, this weekend i bought a 3s battery and OMG.. i snapped an axle within 5 minutes...so now im about to order some mip cvds and was wondering if any1 things i should get something else to hold the power of this? i was also wondering if any has used the gorilla max carbon fiber slash chassis? and is there anything else i should expect to break?

RC Qualifier
    I have never had lick with cvd's. Your axles could have been really worn so just put a new set of stockers or just replace as you break would be my suggestion. What part broke? You can get steel yokes and steel stubs
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Racer
    Adjust your slipper and adjust your gearing and you won't have that problem. Throwing expensive parts at it is not the answer. I hear of more problems with aftermarket axles then stock. Where did the axle break? I'm guessing it was just one of the pins at the yokes?

RC Competitor
    My son has a vxl slash setup with a 3s lipo, and we had to beef up a couple of things: no pre-glued tires and tape them (or they will just rip off); some aluminum up front (head on collisions are harder); sealed gear cover (keep dirt out that will strip the gears with the extra power); very precise setting of the gear mesh and slipper clutch (very important or you just chew through gears).

Since then no more problems than usual.

I don't think what you want to do is not necessary with your setup. Of course you might still want to do it for fun.

What gearing are you using?
    Last edited by peb; 09-20-2010 at 03:04 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    MIP CVDs have a terrible reputation around here. The only CVDs anyone HASENT broken are the FLM ones, and they are very pricy.

I have tried and tried to find a better drive shaft setup than stock and without doing some mods I havent been able to find anything that works better than simply loosening the slipper. If you run the slipper too tight (tighter than 1/4 turn) youll spin shafts alot. Run it looser with steel outdrives and youll be fine. Keep some extra shafts in stock so you can swap them when they do eventually break (and they will). But as for CVDs, non seem to hold up.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    CVDs don't work well with the slash. Try doing the jato driveshaft mod. It supposedly works great.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Racer
    can any link me the jato shaft guide? and will it work on my stampede also?

RC Qualifier
    you really dont need to run a gear cover unless youre in a sanctuned race
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Qualifier
    I don't know if anyone has brought this up lately, but Electric 4tec axles are stronger and will fit if they are used along with 4tec carriers. They will not work with RPM or stock 5x11 carriers, the bearings are not spaced close enough together on them.

I have a wheelie bar on the back of my slash. I cannot run my 3s without it