RC Qualifier

still stumped by the same issue

A while back my son stripped the spur gear on his slash. i changed it but in the mean time I moved the nut that tightens the spring on the shaft. I had come here to see how tight/ how many turns out the nut should be. In the mean time I have used 3 spur gears up trying to get it right. I turn the nut about a 1/4 of a turn out, the mess looks good & when the truck is held up everything seems to turn in sink ( sorry for the spelling)... but when I put the truck down it move's in jerking motion & strips the spur gear...... any ideas would be great........

thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like the original stripped spur was just a symptom, not the original problem.

If the pinion gear looks fine then you probably have a problem inside the differential. A broken tooth or a small rock jammed into a gear will cause that problem.

Before putting power to the truck roll it on a smooth surface to feel for any really rough spots. You should feel the pulse from the motor magnets, but the tires should never want to drag.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC Qualifier
    rolls fine no drag at all

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Most spur gears are not perfectly round. Many are just ever so slightly off centre. You need to set the mesh at the tightest point on the spur. This way, it never gets over tight.
    Also, your pinion COULD be worn out, but its not likely as the truck doesnt sound like its had much running.
    If this truck is an XL5, you shouldnt have any issues stripping spurs even if the slipper is set a bit tight... your main problem is likely proper gear mesh. The teeth should always have the tinyest bit of play between them at the tightest point, they should never be "tight" together.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

You could have a bent top shaft (the shaft the spur gear rides on) or possibly a bad bearing supporting the top shaft.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I would say you probably have a bent shaft, something not right in the slipper assembly, or the mesh is too tight. A good trick is to use a piece of paper. Put a piece of paper in between the pinion/spur and push them tightly together. Then tighten the motor screws back and pull out the paper, and you should be good to go.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

problems like this it's best to disassemble the entire transmission. Mainly inspect the top shaft. Every Traxxas I have got that uses the Revo style slipper(even he E-Maxx) has had a slight bent on the top shaft. I simply replace the top shaft and the clutch assembly and have zero wobble.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP