RC poster

Springs or Shocks

Hi. I have a 2x4 slash. Lately, it's had a hard time cornering...it tends to dive, then flip. I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the suspension, but I'm not cure if it's the springs or shocks. When I push down on the car, it doesn't bounce back to full height. Anyone know a simple test to help determine which has failed or is it better to just replace both anyway? Do the rebuild kits work for the shocks? Where's the best place to buy? Thanks
    Last edited by rickai; 09-18-2010 at 09:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    get some 50 wt shock oil and non progressive springs then a shock rebiuld kit try tower hobbies or you lhs

RC Qualifier
    Well it is likely that you need new oil and possibly new orings on the shocks. Over time, it leaks out, and that will cause what you are describing. You probably only need to refill the shocks, so try that before getting a rebuild kit or new springs. Depending on what I am running on (dirt or street), I like between a 45 and a 55 wt up front, and a 55 to 60 out back.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

You could also try a set of sway bars. That will keep the truck from leaning so hard into the corners. I would try the oil first. That will get you back to where you were.

RC Qualifier
    Put one 8mm and one 2mm shock spacer on each front shock. One 4mm on each rear spring and move the front shock to th outer position and the arm and rear 2nd fro, the outside. Battery in the rear position. If that doesn't work out put 45-50w oil in the front and 35-40w rear. Still no go you can put rustler front springs on the front or a protrac kit if you want the best possible handling slash

RC Champion
    If you're getting traction rolls that's a sign the truck is hooking up well but you're over driving the truck. So I would oncentrate on driving the truck better.

When you say that after pressing down on the truck it doesn't bounce back to full height, do you mean it won't bounce back to a normal ride height or the shocks aren't extending all the way? The truck shouldn't bounce back to full shock extension, the best ride height with battery in and body on is having the arms about parallel to the ground. If your suspension is not rebounding to the proper height it's either a problem with suspension binding or not enough preload spacers. Putting thicker shock oil in is not the best way to adjust ride height, if your springs are not strong enough to extend the shocks with the oil you have using thicker oil will make the problem worse. Exactly how you set yoursuspension depends a lot on what surfaces you run on. Bumpier surfaces require softer setups. A good starting point is 40wt oil all around, then pickup Integys progressive spring sets. They come with 3 different spring rates and allow you to change springs based on what you're doing. Also someone suggested the protrac kit and that's a great idea, it will definitely help you out with better handling and more setup options.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL