Hybrid View

Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, and Jeff Gordon race Traxxas Slashes on ESPN's "NASCAR Now"

Watch the race here!

NASCAR superstars Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, and Jeff Gordon visited ESPN headquarters in Bristol, CT for appearances on NASCAR Now and other ESPN and ESPN2 programs, and part of the fun included the “NASCAR Now 5”—a five-lap race with Traxxas Slash trucks!

The trucks were custom-painted to match each driver’s NASCAR graphics, and they raced around an oval that was set up with cones and tires on a basketball court—talk about high grip! The three drivers each showed their skill as they quickly found the fast way around the track in the practice race, and even made setup changes as Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart both installed an extra preload spacer on the right-front shock for improved “LTO” handling. When the cameras rolled for the race, Tony Stewart got the jump and put in five fast, smooth laps to take the checkers with Kyle Busch and Jeff Gordon not far behind. “This is the match race NASCAR fans have been waiting for,” said race announcer Mike Massaro to Stewart after the race. “To knock off Kyle Busch and Jeff Gordon, what does this mean to you?” With tongue firmly in cheek, Stewart replied, “Well, I’ve trained for this for about 15 years, and have been secretly awaiting this day. I couldn’t sleep last night and I really found it tough to let myself relax knowing that this was going to be such a big day.” With sincerity, Stewart added, “This is a great way to start champion’s weekend, I love starting the chase with a win.”

The ESPN staffers who lined the track cheered the drivers on, and everyone got the chance to take a lap themselves with the extra Slashes that Traxxas brought along. The custom-painted NASCAR Slashes were autographed by their respective drivers and donated to ESPN for a future charity auction, and all three drivers expressed their thanks and appreciation to Traxxas for coming out and supporting them. Traxxas thanks Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, and everyone at ESPN for a fun race and an exciting segment with The Fastest Name In Radio Control.

Photos by Joe Faraoni/ESPN

Last edited by PeterV; 09-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.

RC Racer
    I saw that clip last night - I showed my roommate the modified 4Tec and the M&M body on the Slash from when Kyle announced his partnership for the Truck Series races. He was impressed.

Video link is broken - try this; http://search.espn.go.com/s/overlay/...dims=6&start=0

Link fixed in the story above, it goes right to the race. The link posted here recaps the in-studio show as well (check 'em both out!) --Pete
    Last edited by PeterV; 09-17-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Nitro Rustler 2.5

Cool! And let's not forget that Kyle Busch is taking Traxxas to NASCAR!

Last edited by PeterV; 09-17-2010 at 02:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You just made my sons day please release those bodies prepainted to the public. Team up with NASCAR and release all of them. He is a huge Kyle Busch fan mainly because of the M&M ride.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Qualifier
    Right on PeterV, thanks for sharing those pics...... you gotta love the cheap publicity for Traxxas. A couple of bucks for the custom paintwork and 3 Slash's got the company some nice air time. It's a good thing you didn't have 'em slated to race a couple of Titan's. Traxxas and NASCAR=Good Match
    assembled in Tawain, hopped up in America

RC Enthusiast
    Way cool. didn't they say the slashes were donated . hmmm set pieces
    Race for your Life Charlie Brown!!

RC Qualifier
    That's awesome. Just another great way to get our sport into the hearts of others. Even though I'm not a big fan of any of them its still good to see Traxxas' name out there.

RC Enthusiast
    i remember reading somewhere that Tony owned part of a rc company, but ive never been able to find out which one....maybe this was a hint, or maybe he is a spy........hmmmmm
    T-MAXX, BANDIT, MERV

RC Racer
    Thats very cool that these guys would come out and represent Traxxas! It shows their marketing is doing its work.

He part owns Custom Works, a dirt oval r/c car company. Tony is big into dirt racing, he owns Eldora Speedway.

EDIT: the website is www.customworksrc.com He is in the main intro video.
    Last edited by rccar306109; 09-25-2010 at 07:40 AM.
    Tekin RS+13.5=FAST

RC Qualifier
    So awesome-- made my daughters day--
    I would love to see the Slash come out in a NASCAR body-- very cool and way to partner Traxxas!