RC Enthusiast

New Slash have a Susp question..

OK so I got a Slash 2wd a few weeks ago. A week or so ago I snagged a root at a park and bent a rear shock shaft. Got it replace and thought everything was good. However the set up I was running doesnt work now. It bottoms out if I do not run an 8,4 and 2 Preload spaces.. Ive tried 32 wt oil and 45 and still not back to where it was. I tried using the 1 hole valve and the stock 2 hole.. Any suggestions.

RC Enthusiast
    I should mention I was running the stock set up in the rear.

RC Champion
    check to make sure your rebuilding them right and also make sure your putting in enough oil becuase sometimes it can get tricky ... what happens when you dont put in enough oil is the shock piston gets pushed all the way up and pops out of the oil bottoming out real quick and making the oil mix with air a bit and get bubbly making the problem worse
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Enthusiast
    Ive made sure to top off the oil and even let the shox sit with the caps off to allow any bubbles to escape. It just seems like the rear is softer than before. Im thinking of going to the 3 hole valve and a stiffer spring. This way the oil will flow faster and the spring will do more of the work.. Im not ready to invest in Bigbores just yet. Still trying to learn the in and outs 1st..

RC poster
    Check and make sure you didn't bend a hinge pin as well as a shock shaft. That will cause the suspension to react differently.

RC Racer
    Make sure you got the right lenght shock shaft.

If thats right and it will extend out more, then your hinge pin is bent.

RC Champion
    There is a lot that could be going on here. First off the stock suspension setup isn't enough to keep the rear end off the ground, it's very soft. If you bent a shock shaft in a crash you need to check verything else and make sure your hinge pins are ok and nothing is binding. Next, areu sure you bougt the right length shock shaft? The truck uses Long shocks up front and X Long in the back. Also what holes do you have the shocks mounted in? The further out you have the bottom mounted the stiffer it makes the suspension, however it lessens the amount of travel you have nefore you bottom out.

You mentioned not wanting to get big bores, well big bores won't solve this problem. They are 1000x more durable and operate much smoother but they aren't any bigger so they don't offer anymore dampening. With the stock socks you should be able to get good performance with 50wt oil, a 2 hole piston and the stock springs. However I would suggest 40wt oil and a stiffer spring in the rear.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    Well first, make sure the shocks you bought are for the slash. Then make sure that whatever oil, piston, and spacers you were running in your old setup are the same on the new one. Then check the mounting holes to see if perhaps you switched them around a bit. I really can't imagine anything beyond that being the problem.
    Traxxas Slash
    Losi XXX
    Most of a Traxxas Bandit

RC Enthusiast
    Ive Checked and Doubled checked to be sure the shafts are correct. They are Also pins are good. Im running 45wt oil and the 2 hole valve with stock springs.. Ive tried to locate stiffer springs but cant seem to find them online. Or I just dont know what to look for..

RC Champion
    What does it bottom out doing exactly? If your talking about off jumps then you can't really stop that without ruining your handling.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    I have trinity xtra heavy tmaxx springs on my slash rears and maxx reds on the front. Great for bashing
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL