RC Qualifier

short course woes

I keep getting my lunch handed to me on the indoor short course-- mainly from SC10s....

My car seems to flip in turns- nose over on jumps (where ramp is shorter than wheel base) and just not perform as well.

I have tried changing spring tension, shock offset, changing shock oil, accelerating or decelerating on jumps, different strategies for turns, etc---

any advice on set up for REALLY tight short courses? Love my Slash and don't want to change to different rig

RC Racer
    can you post some pics of your truck so we can see how it is setting.. The one thing that I think is a must is a pro track kit.

RC Racer
    Have you tried Slayden set up, are you in the rtr stock, 17.5 spec. roar, or Mod class?

Is there a video of the track you can post up? This will help some.

RC Enthusiast
    10-4 on the Protrak suspension kit, I have it on my Slash, with Proline Bowtie M3 tires. I have noticed a great improvement on my truck. I am currently racing the 17.5 Stock at our track, when my son races my truck he has been able to be extremely competitive against the SC10's. I think that the Pro line suspension kit is the single most improvement one can make for competitive racing without having to buy a LCG chassis. My Slash chassis is all stock accept for the 4x4 Slash steering rack, and the suspension kit, and I feel very confident I can compete with any make of vehicle out there at club level. If you go through the truck and set it up properly, ( suspension and gearing, speedcontrol) like the way you would an Associated or HPI. The truck work so much better through the corners, and is very stable on the straights I can push the others to make mistakes trying to stay ahead or keep up with me. I'm am in know way saying that this truck is the fastest out there, but it can finish up there and is a threat to win.

DaveK.
    Last edited by DaveK.; 09-15-2010 at 06:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    sorry for the double post!
    Last edited by DaveK.; 09-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pakratt
    I keep getting my lunch handed to me on the indoor short course-- mainly from SC10s....

My car seems to flip in turns- nose over on jumps (where ramp is shorter than wheel base) and just not perform as well.

I have tried changing spring tension, shock offset, changing shock oil, accelerating or decelerating on jumps, different strategies for turns, etc---

any advice on set up for REALLY tight short courses? Love my Slash and don't want to change to different rig
    Try the Low-cg kit from STRC, it not only makes you stable, but shortens the wheelbase 10mm (sc10 legnth I think). plus pro-trac suspension and some extra offset wheels for stability might help.

if you set thicker oil in the rear that should help the nosedives, less springy action. give it some throttle in the air to stablitise further

RC Champion
    and use a little more throttle right when ur front tires get to the base of the jump so u actually ramp it not just roll over it
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks-- will post up pics of car and track. All excellent feedback and I really appreciate it.

Running in stock class.

RC Qualifier
    nosing over on small jumps is often from the back suspension slapping the jump as the front tires leave it. Stiffer shock fluid is the answer if that is the case.

If you or a buddy has a camera with a high speed multi-frame mode (often a sports setting) take pics of the car as it goes over the jump so you can see how it takes off and how it lands.
    -- > Republic Racing < --

RC poster
    The ProTrac Kit is Great for larger tracks.....It offers greater lateral stability (wont roll over as much), but a really fast driver will tell you that it is a slight handicap on really small, tight courses. On small , Tight tracks, the stock Slash will turn faster laps than a ProTrack equipped Slash, (with more advanced drivers of equal ability).

The ProTrac kit is so popular because it Tames (slows down) the Twitchyness that is inherent with the stock Slash. Most folks like the added Stability and slightly slower steering. They actually do better with a slower setup. Correct me if I am wrong, but Rookies are always reminded that, "Slower is Faster." Slower driving equals fewer crashes and less Marshalling, which equates to a higher lap count a better average MPH. Thats what wins races in the Rookie and Spec Classes......

However, in the hands of an Expert club racer, that "Twitchy" feeling equates to faster steering response, which is what most expert drivers are looking for. Hence, 1 or 2 seconds faster per lap for THEM.

The ProTrac kit really shines on a medium to large track. The added stability helps a great deal, especially over the large Doubles and Triples, and the SLIGHTLY slower steering is not really a handicap on wider turns. The ProTrac kit also adds Stiffness to the suspension, which is more important on big tracks than Small Twisty tracks, (IMHO). And, of course, we all know how Durable the ProTrac kit is........

Packrats Slash can be competitive with SC-10's for sure,,,,he just needs a good set up. With a Stock Slash on a tight track, I like to go light on the Shock Fluid. 35 wt in front with a medium small preload spacer and 30 or 35 wt at the rear with a large preload spacer. This frees up the suspension to actually Work over the Bumps and will not limit steering response, (no Push).

Also, use the adjustment holes to "lay the shocks down", as much as possible. This will make the springs a bit more progressive (feels stiffer) and will aid with the roll over situation...The flipping nose down on jumps is probably a Ride Height adjustment or just novice driving skills. If you cannot make the jumps,,,,then Roll over them until you get a better feel for the track, (wont take long). With Pratice, you'll be moving up the Ranks in no time.
    Last edited by Redharris; 09-18-2010 at 02:47 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redharris
    The ProTrac Kit is Great for larger tracks.....It offers greater lateral stability (wont roll over as much), but a really fast driver will tell you that it is a slight handicap on really small, tight courses. On small , Tight tracks, the stock Slash will turn faster laps than a ProTrack equipped Slash, (with more advanced drivers of equal ability).

The ProTrac kit is so popular because it Tames (slows down) the Twitchyness that is inherent with the stock Slash. Most folks like the added Stability and slightly slower steering. They actually do better with a slower setup. Correct me if I am wrong, but Rookies are always reminded that, "Slower is Faster." Slower driving equals fewer crashes and less Marshalling, which equates to a higher lap count a better average MPH. Thats what wins races in the Rookie and Spec Classes......

However, in the hands of an Expert club racer, that "Twitchy" feeling equates to faster steering response, which is what most expert drivers are looking for. Hence, 1 or 2 seconds faster per lap for THEM.

The ProTrac kit really shines on a medium to large track. The added stability helps a great deal, especially over the large Doubles and Triples, and the SLIGHTLY slower steering is not really a handicap on wider turns. The ProTrac kit also adds Stiffness to the suspension, which is more important on big tracks than Small Twisty tracks, (IMHO). And, of course, we all know how Durable the ProTrac kit is........

Packrats Slash can be competitive with SC-10's for sure,,,,he just needs a good set up. With a Stock Slash on a tight track, I like to go light on the Shock Fluid. 35 wt in front with a medium small preload spacer and 30 or 35 wt at the rear with a large preload spacer. This frees up the suspension to actually Work over the Bumps and will not limit steering response, (no Push).

Also, use the adjustment holes to "lay the shocks down", as much as possible. This will make the springs a bit more progressive (feels stiffer) and will aid with the roll over situation...The flipping nose down on jumps is probably a Ride Height adjustment or just novice driving skills. If you cannot make the jumps,,,,then Roll over them until you get a better feel for the track, (wont take long). With Pratice, you'll be moving up the Ranks in no time.
    He said he is in the stock class so the protrack is out. All I can say is watch the fast guys when they are on the track and go talk with them. I know at Motorama a guy finished third in the rtr stock in a heavy field, and Slayden did well in mod with out a protrack.
    Last edited by slash racer; 09-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.

RC Champion
    What are your toe and camber settings at? Using 1 to 1.5 degrees toe out will help you on a tight track since it increases turn in and will allow you to enter turns more aggressively. I would also suggest a camber angle of -2.5 up front and -2.0 in the rear.

Something that hasn't been brought up yet but have you done anything to the differential? If you read slaydens setup sheet and put thick oil in the diff this could really hurt you on a tight track since it interferes with the trucks ability to roll around tight corners.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Enthusiast
    Federally, you know what I'm talking about it appears. like I said in my other post, you have to set up the vehicle like you would with either stock suspension or Pro Trak. If one would pay very close attention to those areas of set up that was mentioned by Federally the truck will turn very quick and will resist roll overs a lot better than before, alowing to push the corners more. Our track is kinda tight and twisty, our corners are very seldom flat, they are at the top of a hill at the end of a fast straight a way, and have either positive or negative banking in one or more corners. This is not the only view to this, as there is a lot of other good imput to this thread, WOW thank goodness to the tune ability of these trucks... What works for me prolly might be junk to someone else..... thats because they have either tuned the truck to their driving style or simply adapted to the way the vehicle drives. Last but not least, there are some people at our track that have the blessed talant to simply beat you with your own truck.

DaveK.

RC Qualifier
    still need to do pics-- but this is what is working so far--- lighter shock oil in rear and stiffened shocks in front-- better control of throttle on jumps- moved shock mount on a-arms out all the way - and changed the toe on the rear--- less flipping tonight and no nose dives---

all great stuff and more to try...

The stock class where I run is pretty loose-- so suspension kits would be cool with the race.

Picked up another (older) slash tonight so I can use one for race and the other to beef up for skate park and plain old bashing---

will be trying many of these ideas-- again - will be posting pics and video for feedback

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot to say, our stock class is actually 17.5 Corr class. That means that the Slash competes against all makes in the Corr trucks. We used to have a pure stock Slash class, but there are so many Corr trucks and we have to many other classes to run along with this that there just is not enough time for the stock Slash class any more. Too bad because that is some really close racing with all of the trucks the same accept for the radio of choice.

DaveK.

RC Champion
    what tire do you use? Does your track force you to use the rtr tire for your truck or allow you to use any of the rtr tires on the wheels that came with your truck? If the later is the case I'm pretty sure the hpi blitz tire is the best rtr tire.

Also I didn't mention it earlier but in regards to your camber angles. It's very important you pay attention to them when using the stock slash rim. The design of the rim allows the outside shoulder of the tire to fold in and you need to use camber to compensate.
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    What I have found out along with all the other slash racers at the track is money money and a little bit more money and you can race and win with a slash. Or xtreme chassis, proline protrac kit, $25 per pair of tires, better pinns so they will not bend all the time, minimum novak havoc set up so can have some adjustability, can get by with just alum. shock caps and what ever else. have fun.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Champion
    Lol yea but you forget your racing against guys who are also dumping loads of money into their trucks to win races. If you're trying to say you have to dump a pile of money into the slash to make it competitive you're nuts.
    Moline, IL

RC Racer
    The 55.00 dollar STRC/Rustler LCG chassis mod will help a lot against the SC10s...