RC Competitor

slash 4x4 keeps turning off on 3s lipos....? please help...

everything is stock, stock gearing and the weather is normal, but the red light starts flashing a few minutes into running it on a 3s lipo (fully charged, tried different 3s lipos, the same issue, it will shut down shortly if i do not stop.

motor is not hot either...

if i run it on a 2s lipo, it doesnt do that at all, it will continue to run until LVC kicks in.

whats the problem? please help!
    workbetyou@gmail.com

RC Qualifier
    well, the problem is 3S...did you change the gearing?
    Facebook Fan Page www.moochie888.com.au

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by SF1688
    well, the problem is 3S...did you change the gearing?
    nope, everything is stock.
    workbetyou@gmail.com

RC Champion
    Sounds like you have an esc with an lvc that is cutting in earlier than it should

What brand of batteries are you using ?

Do you have anything else connected to the receiver ?

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Champion
    On 3S my stock system would not last more than 10 minutes before the ESC would go into thermal Shutdown with the red light flashing. your manual says something about if the red light blinks fast or slow. One is LVC and the other is thermal.. I just don't remember right off hand.

I was geared 13/54 and outside air temps were below 65F
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    Red blinking slow is LVC and blinking fast is ESC overload,too hot

My 3s lipo is 168 amps peak. Is the red light flashing fast or slow? Your best bet is to cal Traxxas support. They can help you the best out of anyone. They can tell you different ways to reset your esc. You might have a bad esc. Give them a call. What is the milliamp rating on your lipo?

RC Competitor
    just had this happen to me. i've probably put 5 or so 3s packs through it no problem. now today, i get the LVC blink after about 7 minutes. i hook up the battery to the charger and all three cells show 3.89 volts.

i'll throw a 2s in it tomorrow to see if it has issues...

fyi: i do have a single tiny integy fan plugged into the receiver and the traxxas esc fan.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rc77
    If your run time is less than what it should be on a fully charged battery, if you unplug and plug it back in it resets the LVC and it will continue to run.
    I realize that. I'm looking for a more long term solution...

RC Champion
    If you dont want to send the esc in to Traxxas

Buy yourself a $5 lipo warning buzzer that plugs into the balance lead of the pack and makes a noise when it hits a certain voltage

Run the esc in nimh mode

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

That is weird! Since I started running my dual fan heatsink my esc has been acting weird also. I don't know if it doesn't like things plugged into the esc or what. I am going to try soldering up a plug that will work with the port on the esc. It gets very frustrating.

RC Qualifier
    I'm a firm believer these VXL systems cannot handle 3s at all . since I switched to Lipo they have fried 2 VXL ESC's . I have dropped gearing too . Never again , only 2S til I get a MMM 2650 system .
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

No I only run mine on 3s and have been doing so for a very long time. It is when I installed to fans that I started having problems. That is all I have run since I have bought the truck.

I just got off the line with Traxxas support. They said the fans may overloading the bec. He also said that sometimes when the steering servo is about to go out it will send a signal to the esc to shut the truck down. So I will run it without the fans. It it still happens then it is the steering servo if not it is an overloaded bec.

Just got back from running it with the fan disconnected. No problems at all. So it is the bec.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-22-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    Just got back from running it with the fan disconnected. No problems at all. So it is the bec.
    which fan did you disconnect? the motor? how did you have them hooked up? i have my motor fan connected to the receiver.

i am just curious as to why i didn't have any issues the first 5 packs i ran. i had both fans going then. why all of a sudden are they an issue? i just got done running a 2s pack and no issues. i'll try the 3s again tomorrow...

I disconnected all the fans in that run! I had no fans running an ran it for a good 45min on 3s.

RC Competitor
    when you had them hooked up, did you have the motor fan pigtailed to the esc fan or did you use the receiver?

I had them plugged into the receiver. I am going to try something new. I took the traxxas esc fan and put it on the heatsink. I hope that this will work well. I am about to try it in about ten minutes.

That worked GREAT!!!! Nothing shut down. No weird steering. I ran it through two 3s packs just to be sure.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-22-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Same thing happened to me while running fans and using 3S LiPo.

I think putting the esc fan onto the heatsink will cure everyone's problem.

RC Champion
    Sounds like a crappy fan design that is loading up the bec if disconnecting it fixes the problem

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

I feel the same way. As soon as the fans were unplugged there were no problems. When I put the Traxxas brushless fan on it , it has worked just fine! Makes no sense to me but at least I have found the problem.

RC Racer
    Yup, i am not able to run 2 fans with 3S. 2S it's fine but if i use the ESC fan and the motor fan off the receiver it starts having issues.
    Rustler VXL - Stock VXL system on 3S / 76.8mph

Are both of the fans made by Traxxas?

RC Racer
    I was having the same problem but I had 3 fans hooked up to my esc. I got a 6 volt extra battery that I zip tie to my front bumper and haven't had any problems since. I just run all 3 fans off that battery that way the esc has no extra load on it
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    I didn't do much reading in this thread here. I have seen this happen though when running a fan on the motor and one on the esc as well (happened to me on my first RC when I got a P4de). I unplugged one and the problem went away and only happened on 3's, 2's worked fine. I know nothing when it comes to the electronics and batteries etc... If I remember correctly, reading somewhere it has something to do with the esc and the BEC? Pretty much to many volts or power going to it?
    Last edited by Stephan81; 03-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Competitor
    whats the problem? please help!
    everything is stock, stock gearing
    running it on a 3s lipo
    You've answered your own question. The slash is not meant to run on 3s lipo with stock gearing. It states this very clearly in your manual. Running 3s on stock gearing will cause the system to overheat. Gear it correctly and replace the motor and esc that you've probably damaged already and it will function fine.

RC Racer
    This would happen to me if I run 3s and try to drive slow, after about 1 minute the esc goes into protection. If I unplug and start and drive faster I could go till the battery drains.