RC Champion

How many people run BL on their summit?

How does everything hold up to the added stress on the driveline?

I had a summit for awhile and it was fun as a dedicated crawler but now bought a revo roller to turn brushless. I want to have it be mostly based as a heavy duty offroader so wondering if the summit is a better base than the erbe.

How do the locking diffs work under brushless power? (assuming you dont try to engage them while under power).

I am mostly thinking the 2 speed would be most beneficial so when trying to crawl on log piles and such I can run 1st so the final drive is a lot higher and I can utilize the torque better. I am planning on running 7-7.5 inch tall tires (3-3.5 wide). so slightly taller than canyons but also more narrow.

Thoughts? Should I just throw the LT and 2 speed on the erbe and call it a day or would the summit be a better base truck to build off of?

I do want to be able to throw some standard mt tires on the truck (or even truggy tires for the track) and blast around on 6s for high speed bashing.

RC Racer
    Search it and you will find countless threads. I love my Tekkin and the summit holds up fine!

RC Competitor
    Summit here with Tekin.

Think i passed my 40th+ pair of lipos in it and nothing mechanical has broken as of yet. And i do drive it like it was stolen most of the time.

RC Racer
    Tekin RX8 2250kv all the way!
    Acts like a brushed setup at low speeds it's silky soft.
    The truck can take it no problem.
    Stock Summit minus Tekin/2.4Ghz

RC Competitor
    Hobbywing 150A ESC & 4465sl motor here, since I went 2.4GHz its been a dream.
    Too many to list

RC Qualifier
    Hi.mines held up to a MMM 2200kV on 4s lipos.but you DO need a 2.4ghz radio.The tyres do fall apart though,

RC Qualifier
    MMM/2200 here.

Definitely a brushless Summit. It's literally an ERBE w/lockers, outside of external differences such as the rockers, tires, bumpers and body (which are all interchangeable anyway).

Being able to do technical rock crawling locked up in Low gear, then switching gears for a 45MPH blast out into the open totally makes for non-stop fun No need to worry about boredom with this thing.

One thing I would suggest though is to shim all the gears up tighter in your differentials (some info here & here). This (together with a properly-set slipper clutch) will help them better sustain the brushless power (this also holds true for an ERBE's diffs as well).

Another tekkin nut here. I once accidentelly took of in my summit with the rear diff locked (30+mph) and it held up fine. With that said I would not elect to do it again. 1 note if you are really into crawlers look for a summit then stick a brushless in it. It will come out cheaper than getting an Erevo and finding/buying all the parts to make it a summit (good crawler). Remember that spools are nice for crawling but they break often when it comes to fun bashing and high speed turns.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Competitor
    I have the Mamba Monster Max Pro 2200kv BL. The summit does hold up pretty well! Exception- the slipper clutch is not really up to the BL system! I fried mine. Just got a heavy duty slipper rebuild kit from buytraxxas.com! I would use this if u want to get the full torque potential!

http://www.buytraxxas.com/default.php?cPath=1_3482_3567

It works so great. I also busted a driver side front drive shaft. (I was doing standing backflips!) - 6s LiPo's!! gotta do it at least once!!
    Last edited by MERVorSUMMIT?; 09-10-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    You ain't bashin if u ain't breakin!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    VXL twin setup here, it works fine!

RC Champion
    Novak HV 7.5 Pro system in mine.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MERVorSUMMIT?
    I have the Mamba Monster Max Pro 2200kv BL.
    I believe it's either Mamba Max Pro, or Mamba Monster Max... Not both.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    I believe it's either Mamba Max Pro, or Mamba Monster Max... Not both.
    I believe you are correct sfr4x4, there has been rumors of a pro version of the monster ESC but I have yet to see one in production.
    I maybe wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I think the PRO designation in a castle ESC means it will run a sensored motor as well as sensorless.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

There is the MMM 1/8 scale system, the MM pro was originally designed for 1/10 and smaler trucks, runs 4S lipo and is sensored (but i think the motor is sensoreless), like I said it was thought to be for small trucks BUT the new Savage Flux-Q is running it stock.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !