RC Enthusiast

Switched all my vehicles to TRX 2.4ghz

I recently switched the summit over from 27mhz to 2.4ghz. I really like the non-interference thing cause everyone and their dog has a traxxas Am radio it seems. Anyways, I was reading the radio literature that says it can remember 20 models (I think) so I bought a bunch more receivers for my other trucks--so far I am very happy with the conversion.

I was using the spektrum dx3.0 and was not really thrilled with it--8 batteries, 4 model limit with some goofy menu you had to flick through to get to each one and 3 channels that weren't very straightforward to use (i like switches and toggles--thats it) I liked all the end point adjustments etc but never used them so there ya go..The receivers were also hard to find used (where I am)

The summit radio is 5 channel so there is lots of extra channels for remote lights, winches, other goodies. Once the receiver is setup for the vehicle, the radio remembers which vehicle its talking to. The only thing to remember is that two vehicles can't be on at once and the radio has to shut off before switching models--not really very big limitations as far as I can tell. The receivers are what 30 bux each new or so? and if you buy 4 or more from tower they give you a bit of a discount. I'm now building a scale tow truck with the usual steering and throttle but can now add a bi-directional winch, rotary flashing lights, rear spotlights and running lights and maybe one other goodie. Love not being limited to 3 channels!

Anyways, just thought I would pass that one for anyone thinking of switching over--ditch the spektrum/AM and try out a traxxas 2.4ghz radio if the above sounds like it would fit your needs.

RC Racer
    I agree. I did the same. all my toys are traxxas 2.4. I also went to the water proof servos and radio boxes. slight mods were needed but definatly worth it. Also droped in the xl-5 in 2 other non traxxas r/c's. I love the fact that there is so little to worry about when you run quality traxxas parts.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Qualifier
    I only have 4 RCs but they are all traxxas 2.4s. But I have two remotes in case my wife want to play with me. lol.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    Hi,I was going to take the "power up" offer (swap $100 and your 27mhz radio for 2.4ghz) But I'm in the UK,and as usual it doesn't count over here!.So I'm running the summit without locking diffs/gear change off a 2.4 2Ch losi 2.4 ;(

RC Enthusiast
    I got my radio out of the US (I'm in canada) For $85 shipped with one receiver. I wouldn't even bother with "power up" Just by one off ebay, and sell yours locally or keep it for testing stuff--mainly what I use my old radio's for...

RC Racer
    yeah definatly shop on e-bay. The store I bought all my gear from was ua hobbies. all brand new stuff, I bought 3 rx and tx and never paid over 50 bucks.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Enthusiast
    If you are getting on off ebay or wherever and want to use it with other vehicles--make sure it has the "link" feature--It should advertise it or have it written on the receiver. not sure if you can use other models if you don't...

Also, if you want to run a winch or something else with a forward and reverse--you can swap out the rocker switch with a 3 position switch. If I remember the yellow wire goes to the top pin, the black wire goes to the center and the purple wire goes to the bottom pin--this gives you an ON-OFF-ON configuration where the two ON positions run in opposite directions (perfect for a modded servo)
    Last edited by menace69; 09-08-2010 at 06:04 PM.