RC Racer

Dead Titan, now what?

Well, just as I was in first place for a good while in tonights race, my Titan just gave up on me. It was a good motor, but now I need something newer and faster, only thing is, money is kinda tight right now. Should I find a cheap brushless system or just hold off. I have a trinity motor in the slash for now. Dont think its as fast as a titan but it may have to do. Anything under a hundred bucks I could probably do without too much pain, so I guess thats my budget. I was hoping to get a VXL but I think I have to wait until my wife goes back to work for that. Any suggestions?

thanks!

RC Champion
    EZ-run can help you out! sorry i have no link but someone will.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Racer
    buy another one or go to tower hobbies .com and get an electriFLY s-600
    HOOAH!!

RC Qualifier
    How long have you had your slash? Even if it is some time, try sending it in to Traxxas. They have fantastic customer service and will probably replace your motor for free. That's what my brother did with his Stampede.
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Qualifier
    Perhaps a Tacon motor is more in your price range? I've heard it to be the poor mans vxl. Like $30 or so. All you would need is another esc.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m26-car-3650-2950.html
    Last edited by Mr.Nitro; 09-08-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Champion
    same thing happened to me, don't bother buying a new Titan... it will just keep failing on you.

I recommend the Venom Fireball (some people don't prefer it)
    Electrifly S-600
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    You may want to try the Tacon above and the 60A EZ-run esc combo for around $70.

I put a Electrifly S-600 on one of my sons. Cheap, great acceleration , we'll see if it lasts.

RC Champion
    If you like driving through mud, water and basically have real fun...the XL5+Titan and 7 cell nimh combo is a no brainer. Basically you don't need to worry about anything such as frozen motor bearings, rusted connectors inside a Lipo case etc. Actually I had more fun in a stock Slash, than my current brushless setup and Lipo. Nowdays most Slash owners at my track are into 'hardwear war'. We spend as much money as we could afford, endless tinkering of suspension to make our Slash fastest on the track, which basically takes most of the fun away and the point of owning a Slash in the first place. Just to proof a point, a local driver actually slammed his Spektrum transmitter on the ground in anger because someone knocked him out of the track during last open class final. Just be wise when you start upgrading your Slash, and don't let anybody get to you..

I miss my stock Slash.....
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Racer
    If you would like to score a vxl system try e-bay (ua hobbies and jennys r/c) take traxxas r/cs apart and sell or auction the parts. if you have the time you can usualy get a motor and esc for $50 each or less. Worth a shot. I bought a ton of parts from ua hobbies and paided about half retail if not less. Also very good guy to buy from, no worries.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Qualifier
    Get a charmelion 2 or a Komodo Dragon
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Racer
    i bought a Komodo Dragon a while back. Not a bad motor preformance wise and not to heavy but a pain in the ****. You constantly have to replace brushes, break them in and the mess..... If you don't break em in just right you can shred a pair in just a couple packs and the dust and crap gets all over your gears and housing not to mention the motor.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Racer
    You know, I put in an old trinity 27 turn that I had in my xtm xcelerator and it's rockin! gonna take it out tommorow to the bmx track and see how it does. It does seem to get hot though. If it's near my titan performance wise then I'll just use it till I save enough for a decent brushless system I guess. I dont think I want to go cheap brushless system because I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" And really the difference between a cheap and good one is only about double so it's not that bad I guess. Thanks for all your suggestions guys....don't know what I would do with out ya's!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by defeatest
    Well, just as I was in first place for a good while in tonights race, my Titan just gave up on me.
    if you plan to race still, make sure they have a class you fit into... (thinking you could have been in a stock slash class, where the esc and motor are specified as such)

RC Racer
    Our definition of "class" is on the liberal side, so as long as it remains a slash I'm ok!

RC Qualifier
    I think your writing the cheaper EZ runs off a little too quickly. Many around her use them and beat the life out of them and they are still ticking.
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by FFS RACING
    i bought a Komodo Dragon a while back. Not a bad motor preformance wise and not to heavy but a pain in the ****. You constantly have to replace brushes, break them in and the mess..... If you don't break em in just right you can shred a pair in just a couple packs and the dust and crap gets all over your gears and housing not to mention the motor.
    maybe when you are overgeared or running the wrong brush compound. i am getting 10+ runs on a rebuild. and you cant really break them in wrong. run it for 3-5 min with no load, usually best to let the motor just spin the driveline with no tires. atleast thats with my experience. you also have to take a lathe to the comm, idk if you know that
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShaker
    I think your writing the cheaper EZ runs off a little too quickly. Many around her use them and beat the life out of them and they are still ticking.

so can anyone recommend a good E-Zrun combo for me then? something under a hundred bucks would be good.

thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBoy42
    maybe when you are overgeared or running the wrong brush compound. i am getting 10+ runs on a rebuild. and you cant really break them in wrong. run it for 3-5 min with no load, usually best to let the motor just spin the driveline with no tires. atleast thats with my experience. you also have to take a lathe to the comm, idk if you know that
    Well thats what I though when I bought the thing and I'd be happy with that cause the motor ran nice. But when I went into he hobby shop to see what I might have been doing wrong and to inquior about compounds and springs ect. they basicaly told me to junk the thing, parts are becomming scarse because everybodys going to brushless or cheep replacments motors like the titan. I figured they knew what they were talking about so I just grabed a titan 550. ARGH!!!!
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Racer
    so can anyone recommend a good E-Zrun combo for me then? something under a hundred bucks would be good.

thanks
    I recommend not getting the 35A ezrun, I smoked mine in about 45 seconds. Get a Castle sidewinder (about $70 bucks on ebay) and a Tacon 2950 from hobbypartz. about $27 bucks.

RC Champion
    From research, everyone says the S600 is the best.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    I run the fuze sc system in my sons mod sc truck and works well, even comes with a programing card and they are about $115.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight
    If you like driving through mud, water and basically have real fun...the XL5+Titan and 7 cell nimh combo is a no brainer. Basically you don't need to worry about anything such as frozen motor bearings, rusted connectors inside a Lipo case etc. Actually I had more fun in a stock Slash, than my current brushless setup and Lipo. Nowdays most Slash owners at my track are into 'hardwear war'. We spend as much money as we could afford, endless tinkering of suspension to make our Slash fastest on the track, which basically takes most of the fun away and the point of owning a Slash in the first place. Just to proof a point, a local driver actually slammed his Spektrum transmitter on the ground in anger because someone knocked him out of the track during last open class final. Just be wise when you start upgrading your Slash, and don't let anybody get to you..

I miss my stock Slash.....

Amen Brother i love my Stock Slash the only upgrades if you can call them that i did was switch to RPM's as the stock plastic broke
    MERV
    Slash
    Nitro Sport
    Nitro Stampede

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by larsen8
    How long have you had your slash? Even if it is some time, try sending it in to Traxxas. They have fantastic customer service and will probably replace your motor for free. That's what my brother did with his Stampede.

Traxxas customer service is second to none but when i called last week about my Titan12T the nice guy i spoke with said to go to my local hobby store and buy a new one LOL they are only 25.00 but a free one would help too
    MERV
    Slash
    Nitro Sport
    Nitro Stampede

RC poster
    Well, just as I was in first place for a good while in tonights race, my Titan just gave up on me. It was a good motor, but now I need something newer and faster, only thing is, money is kinda tight right now. Should I find a cheap brushless system or just hold off. I have a trinity motor in the slash for now. Dont think its as fast as a titan but it may have to do. Anything under a hundred bucks I could probably do without too much pain, so I guess thats my budget. I was hoping to get a VXL but I think I have to wait until my wife goes back to work for that. Any suggestions?

thanks!
    i just put the velineon vxl3 upgrade in mine less than $100 it run great come with everything to install that the brushless motor and the esc

RC Champion
    i dont know much about these products myself but lots of poeple say they work just fine ....try a tacon motor and an EZ run 6o amp esc
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.