Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Finally broke 70mph

I know it's nothing special and many have done it but today i was able to accomplish it after weekend of attempts to finally break the 70mph barrier. Ran 70.9mph.

Stock VXL/Velineon
    31/76 Gearing

Tires:
    Talon Rears
    Stock Fronts

Truck slammed to the ground with zipties, removed front bumper and used piece of tape to close the gap from letting air under the body.

Will have videos at some point, it was recorded. In dramatic fashion it took flight and ended up almost down a gutter. Only able to get maybe 2 seconds of full throttle, before taking flight. I believe it has some more in it if i had the space.

RC Racer
    Can't wait to see those videos. Upload!!!

RC Qualifier
    May I ask what battery you were using? Nice achievement btw I am far from 70 so that's awesome to me.

RC Racer
    Here we go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGH8bkSA9Y

My bad completely forgot to mention battery!

Venom 3S 20C 5000mah Lipo. About 4Vs each cell at the time of the runs.

Almost every video ended the same way with the truck flying into the curb. Only casualties of the days 1 broken shock and the end of the rear camber link broke. I learned do not mix foam with rubber tires. It does not like that past 65. Had to go back to rubber tires all the way around to keep it straight but then it likes to lift off at 65+. Some of these videos turned out ok very hard with a manual focus camera. I'll probably load a video this week with all the high speed blow overs, fun stuff!

RC Racer
    Yes i know, that is why i included the extra 2 mins of nothing going on.

Thanks. I do have a 33 and a 35 pinion that i'd like to try out, also have a couple 5400 Venom packs coming. I found foam tires all the way around were only good to 64-65 but the truck is so stable. The talons are a solid 5mph faster probably more if i had longer stretch of road.

RC Racer
    Please don't yell at me, but a crash like can throw off the GPS reading. Did you have any runs without crash, if you did then those should be good.

RC Racer
    Several without in the 68 range, several crashes in the 68 range. So the GPS is flipping faster then the truck? While strapped down of course. Just trying to understand the logic.

Speeds weren't thrown off because of the crashes. I had several crashes under that speed as well. I changed tires, and used throttle input differently that got me to 70.

RC Champion
    Congrats! Now you're in the 70+ mph club with the big dogs. Haha...now I bet you want to go faster...right? I think on my next project I'm going to try out a low kV Neu motor with a CC BEC, and an SPC 4s pack. Hmm...
    Velineon SpeedPede
    SPC 3s 5000
    MambaMax
    71.3mph

RC Racer
    You bet haha. Not sure which route i will go just yet. I want to get the most from the stock setup first. I will most likely make this truck dedicated to speed and pick up something else for all terrain. It gets old swapping out and adjusting the suspension for the next day when i want to bash off road. Plus that way i can properly lower the suspension. I'd like to fab up some kind of splitter for the front, anything to keep it down.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo92z28
    You bet haha. Not sure which route i will go just yet. I want to get the most from the stock setup first. I will most likely make this truck dedicated to speed and pick up something else for all terrain. It gets old swapping out and adjusting the suspension for the next day when i want to bash off road. Plus that way i can properly lower the suspension. I'd like to fab up some kind of splitter for the front, anything to keep it down.

There was one guy that mounted a wing on the front of the chassis.

RC Racer
    Nice video! Do front tires usually balloon at high speeds like that?

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Quote Originally Posted by fullspeed
    Please don't yell at me, but a crash like can throw off the GPS reading. Did you have any runs without crash, if you did then those should be good.
    I hve read this over and over again and I have to say I don't believe it. I guess it could be possible with some GPS. Is there proof of this other then he say she say?

Edit: Funny video! At 1:34 the front tires was already off the ground before it flipped at 1:36 lol.
    Last edited by fastman; 09-06-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    I got skills!

I have to agree with fullspeed and it has always been part of the criteria for a valid speed claim on this forum.

The thought is that when a truck crashes or flips in a violent matter the action of the flipping truck acts like a whip and can actually accelerate the GPS unit to a speed faster than the truck was traveling. The other runs mentioned without crashes but making it to 68 mph rather than 70 mph lend validity to this.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    And who was it who thought that up? The second that trucks catches air it's like it's hitting a wall and laying on the brakes.

No reason to believe the GPS is falsifying the mph. What i was saying is throughout the day i was running mid 60s. Several crashes then were showing same mph when i had a clean run. At no point did it just jump up 2 mph when crashing. I was getting consistently faster and getting it to stay down longer. The run just before where it flipped i did 69mph, i had maybe a second of full throttle before it went airborn, the last run the 70.9 i had a solid 2 seconds of full throttle without it catching air i knew it was going to be a good run. You can't tell from the video there are dips in parts of the road and i'm also running up hill, very minor but some of my other videos show that. Camera was on a tripod for all the other runs, the last run it was not.

You guys can think what you want, there is nothing to back your theorys up.

Stevo92z28 please dont take my comment personally or that I am trying to discredit your achievement. If you were to say your Rusty goes 70 mph I have no issue with that at all. I am just relaying what has been the accepted standard on this forum for quite some time. In doing a search here I have found some links to show you what I am talking about

LINK 1

LINK 2

I realize these links offer no scientific proof but I am just trying to show you this has been an accepted standard in this forum for quite some time. I know from memory there are many more similar posts but I think many have been deleted because so often these topics turn into flame wars and to be honest I grow weary of searching old threads. This forum is not the only place I have seen or read the idea of a crash making a GPS give a false reading, be it right or wrong it is a fairly wide spread belief.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Won't turn into a flame war because we are all mature adults on this forum right?

I would agree if i saw a 3-5mph jump during one these crashes but i didn't and the speeds stayed true throughout the day with the different setups. Lots of crashes yesterday. The GPS said it did it i think it did.

I'll just have to go out and do it again when i get a chance. My rustler flew 70.9mph. That sounds equally impressive

I will be working on keeping this truck more stable so i don't have as many accidents as i did yesterday. I was pushing it hard just wanted to see that number.

I don't think anyone was doubting you, but it's just that any time you have something as violent as a 70mph crash there's always the chance it could mess something up with the readings. I think that the actual "official" sanctioning body for R/C Speed records requires that the car not contact anything OR crash.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    I went out side today with the Garmin today and did some walking with it. And there was a difference by it being in my pocket and in my swinging arms (3mph in the pocket and 9mph with swinging arms). Then I put the GPS in the spokes of a bike then turned it really fast it read max speed 1.5mph and I know it was going alot faster then that.

The car would have had to be catapulted to gain more speed in a crash And I find that almost impossible. But anything can happen. I don't think so in his case the car pretty much parachuted then slowed down before it crashed so he already had his max speed in the GPS.
    I got skills!

Quote Originally Posted by fastman
    I went out side today with the Garmin today and did some walking with it. And there was a difference by it being in my pocket and in my swinging arms (3mph in the pocket and 9mph with swinging arms).
    To me that statement gives validity to the concept that a crash can effect the reading of a GPS. In both cases I assume you were walking the same speed but when the GPS was in your swinging arm you got a much higher reading. Sure seems like a truck cart wheeling or flipping over backwards and tumbling could have the same effect on the GPS has the swinging arm did.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    (3mph in the pocket and 9mph with swinging arms).
    Could this be a new record, does it meet the criteria?

If this goes like other speed posts, there will be initial praise, then a few questions, then the flame-wars (reminds me of pro wrestling).

If this goes like other speed posts, there will be initial praise, then a few questions, then the flame-wars (reminds me of pro wrestling).
    This kind of comment serves no purpose other than to plant the seed of a flame war, which I assure you will not be allowed.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Could this be a new record, does it meet the criteria?
    I don't know but I think I can get it higher if I had a mp3 player with some techno music on it .
    I got skills!

RC Champion
    I don't know but I think I can get it higher if I had a mp3 player with some techno music on it .
    Even that wouldn't be a valid speed claim. It really depends on the person holding the GPS. For instance, Hacksaw Jim Dugan or Bruce Lee would get a higher reading than say, you or me. Your theory holds no weight on this forum. Sorry.
    Velineon SpeedPede
    SPC 3s 5000
    MambaMax
    71.3mph

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    YOu also need an unedited video of the GPS at zero before you swing your arms, then showing the reading AFTER you swing your arms. Are your arms stock? or have you modified them in any way? What did you have for breakfast and what was the MAH and C rating of your breakfast? All important info for us to know.

In regards to the real speed runs here, my thoughts are this: Once that car leaves the ground its slowing down... if you could watch a constant recording of the speed I suspect you MIGHT see the 70mph as the car was on the ground, then as it takes flight youd see the speed slow dramatically, as it flips you MAY see it go up a bit, but its hightly unlikely it would surpass the wheels down speed reading. Every time the car touches ground its scrubbing speed and I dont think the flipping motion is enough to raise the recorded speed above the actual wheels down speed. I even have a thought why that is:

In Fastmans test the GPS was in his pocket... like being strapped inside the RC car... but in his hand... swinging.... it was on at least a 2 1/2 or 3 foot arc... we all know the longer the arc, the faster the speed difference between the pivot and the end of the arc. For this to translate to your RC car, the GPS would have to be mounted on a stick, away from the actual truck. In this case the GPS was mounted directly in the middle of the truck. Even if the truck flipped it would be rotating around the GPS, not swinging it in an arc around the truck.

I think the OP needs to figure out how to keep the nose of the car down and do another 70mph run without a crash to make it unquestionable. BUT... I think he can sleep soundly at night knowing his truck DID go 70... but the rules are the rules and doubts will always remain if the run ends in a crash.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Well just to add to the crashing discussion, as well as the "testing" done by fastman, what if you rode a bike with a gps in your pocket at a certain speed, and then repeated it with the GPS in the spokes?
    Do your first run starting at the top of a hill. give yourself a tiny push just to get going, and coast the whol way, no pedalling. Repeat the first test at least twice to get some sort of baseline.
    For the second time, put the GPS in the spokes and coast from the same point on the hill to the same ending point and see if there is any difference. Any change at all, whether it be higher or lower, would lend evidence to the fact that it does, in fact, affect your readings. The gps in the spokes would simulate the car tumbling at X miles per hour. You know how fast the bike is going because you tested it, and the bike will go very close to the same speed on consecutive runs.

The way I look at it, it's similar to standing on top of a tractor trailer going down the road at 50mph. Let's assume I can throw a baseball 50mph. If I throw that ball in the same direction of the truck, the ball relative to me will be going 50mph, but relative to the stationary surroundings, the ball will be going 100mph. It's the same idea applied to the bike dilemna. In my mind, a MORE accurate and precise GPS would be more likely to have an issue with crashes throwing off a reading because of the fact that a GPS can only use average speed equations for calculating speed. The reason we see it as "real time" is because it's calculating so fast. But either way it needs to travel a certain distance to get a reading.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

Yes, but this is all assuming the vehicle with the GPS continues to go the same speed WHILE its tumbling. The RC car is not maintaing speed during the crash... it is constantly slowing down. The reason it flips over is because the body is acting like a wing/parachute.... especially when the truck goes up in the air. The truck would be immediately going slower... then it contacts the ground and scrubs off MORE speed with each hit on the ground.
    My point is that even if flipping DOES increase the recorded speed on a GPS, does it make up for the loss in speed of the actual flipping of the truck.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

My final thoughts on this....

1-I have no doubt that Stevo92z28's car went 70+ mph. His claimed speed is well within what we know a VXL Rustler is capable of.

2- Whether or not a crash will make a GPS give a false reading may be debatable but I think it is a reasonable concept that it MAY cause in inaccurate reading in some cases. Regardless of whether it does or does not it has been the accepted standard here and like streetdemon mentioned by other sanctioning bodies that for a speed run to be 100% valid the pass has to be clean with no crash involved to be considered a true record.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I agree with that %100... and I think that may be the 2nd time ever eh dad... hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    In my mind, a MORE accurate and precise GPS would be more likely to have an issue with crashes throwing off a reading because of the fact that a GPS can only use average speed equations for calculating speed
    I am really lost on that one? We all know a GPS send radio waves back and forward to at least 4 satellites with the waves traveling faster then the speed of light (Thats fast) and timing how long it took the signal to arrive all faster then the speed of light. The only time a person would have a problem is when thay are having a low signal or signal interference from large buildings and thing. With my eagle tree GPS v4 it will link up to the satellites fast and I can be in the house with Garmin I can only link to the satellites by being outside sometimes taking a while but once its connected everything is good. These things are very accurate so a weak signal would be the only thing to throw them off.

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    For this to translate to your RC car, the GPS would have to be mounted on a stick, away from the actual truck. In this case the GPS was mounted directly in the middle of the truck. Even if the truck flipped it would be rotating around the GPS, not swinging it in an arc around the truck.
    Good point! So a R.C car may not be large enough to throw a gps off in a crash. I can't see a car crashing faster then what it was traveling at first. But all I can say is just don't crash then it's all good.
    Last edited by fastman; 09-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    I got skills!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Earlier this year there was a guy from New Zealand that broke 70 mph with a stock VXL Pede while running a 5000mAh/3S LiPo. He changed the gearing and added weight to the front. Everything was recorded and documented on film when he posted the results on this forum. Do any of you remember his name?

RC Qualifier
    sorry to interrupt, but I think I had one more post in this thread. It was between post #4 and #5. The OP responds to it in the first scentence of post #5. Where did it go? Did I say something wrong?

RC Racer
    Well guys i WILL be going back out to hopefully lay down a clean 70mph pass maybe more. Have a lot of parts coming of friday hope to thrash it out and get some passes saturday assuming i don't have to work. But look for some kind of update this weekend.

RC Racer
    Well then guys just look at it this way. it doesnt really matter IF the gps is giving a misleading reading because of the crash or not. (Personally i dont think it does) People in the rc world from what i can tell dont accept speed runs with a wreck. knowing this is just like any other rule or law, it may not change the outcome of the situation, its still not accepted. take football for example you acan get called for a foul on a play and it voids the play out, doesnt matter if it changed the outcome of the play or not. Do ya see my point here. Sorry for the long post just couldnt think of a way to make it any shorter. Stevo you did this run for personal reasons so if you think it went 70 mph then buddy by all means it went 70 mph, but the unwritten rules are that a wreck voids it out. hey its rc'ing aint we all just doing it for fun anyhow.
    Rusty 4600kv
    2wd Slash
    3s Lipo Power

Jakey,
    That guy was from ontario canada... me... I did 71.5mph with a stock VXL pede, recorded with video... official video. 5400mah 3S, stock VXL.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I understand, but there was another guy from New Zealand and I can't remember his name. Very frustrating for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    I understand, but there was another guy from New Zealand and I can't remember his name. Very frustrating for me.
    Was it "partajeesus"? He is in Finland
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Was it "partajeesus"? He is in Finland
    Not saying he didn't hit 70, but nope not him. Now I'll have to do a search tomorrow or it will drive me nuts.

RC Champion
    71rustlerdel or Mike?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I found him, it was JoeHynie and here is his post from the Stampede section: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=508017

By the way, for the OP, it is something special. I am envious as I have yet to record 70+ mph with any RC vehcile I own. My hat is off to you.
    Last edited by Jakey; 09-09-2010 at 08:44 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo92z28
    Well guys i WILL be going back out to hopefully lay down a clean 70mph pass maybe more. Have a lot of parts coming of friday hope to thrash it out and get some passes saturday assuming i don't have to work. But look for some kind of update this weekend.
    Good luck. keep us posted.