Thread: stock gearing

RC Enthusiast

stock gearing

so i running my summit on the high gear but i find it seems like its topping out very early like its looking for a higer gear, will the 2 speed set up help?
    is it recommended?
    also could it be the motor reaching the max rpm? and if i were to install the mamba max monster what gearing seems to be best
    friend's don't let friend's drive stock!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The summit is 2 speed in stock form; if you are running it in 2nd gear at it tops out too soon, try raising the overall gearing with a smaller spur or larger pinion.

If that doesnt give you the speed you desire ( you should have bought a BL erevo to start with... ahem ), then the MMM system + 4s lipo = ~40mph, or with 6s lipo = ~ 60mph; have fun trying to control the truck though it isnt designed or setup for that kind of speed, needs a fair bit of work to make it more stable at speed..

Feel free to do some reading ( aka: research ) - loads of people are asking about putting BL and lipos into their summits, most questions about gearing and battery choice have been covered quite thoroughly. I think those people missed the point of the summit though really- its not about speed, its not about dual-purpose running in that sense ( crawler > drag racer ), its a trail truck; if you arent happy with a top speed of about 25-30mph, you bought the wrong truck. In my less than humble opinion...
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 09-06-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    i do have a blrevo hence the handle..lol i know no one else with a summit to compare my speed to , based on your comments i can assume that my truck is ok

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

So.... you do have an erevo to go fast with, but you want your summit to go faster too? No point really then, you already have all the bases covered- the summit just isnt designed to go the same speed, its 'just' an independant suspension crawler- they aint ment for going fast...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    a stock summit goes about 23 Mph. IMO don't try gearing it up unless you want to melt the 775.http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=532515
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Enthusiast
    what type are friends are you guys..lol (read sig).... fine it will remain stockish..lol

The dewalt will give you more torque.If you feel the need for some change.plus still waterproof
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Totally Agree

RC Qualifier
    Forget the brushless naysayers... Just do it. I went brushless on mine and have no regrets whatsoever.

I run 18/68 gears with the MMM/2200, though if you have other than stock (size) tires, you'll probably want to adjust your gearing accordingly.