Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

3.3 To E-Revo, should I?

I have a 3.3 Revo, that I absolutely love, however, I'm growing quickly tired of Nitro, and I'm having a hard time finding places to play with it, that makes it worth the time and effort of hauling things around. I've been offered an E-Revo (brushed) in straight across trade, and I'm wondering if I should do it. I mainly just bash around my yard, but I do love blasting up and down the street repeatedly as well. I know absolutely nothing about Electrics, but I assume it has to be less hassle then Nitro, so it's something I'm highly interested in. How is a stock, brushed e-revo going to compare to my 3.3 that I love? I don't want to trade, just to be disappointed right away, and have to go brushless.. But I do have access to a BNIB 1/10 Brushless Velineon System for a $100 bill, would it work well for this truck if I got it, and be comparable to an E-Revo Brushless Edition then?

This is the truck I could potentially be trading for..

Last edited by Chris95GT; 08-30-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    1/10 ERBE|1/16 MERV|1/16 KB Fiesta|1/16 Rally

RC poster
    The honest reply? Using brushed motors the E-Revo will perform worse than a Revo 3.3 and there is a decent amount of maintenance that will be required by the motors. You of course do gain the quiet and cleanliness of electric. For a have your cake and eat it too experience you need to go Brushless where you will get SUPERIOR performance to the Revo 3.3 and very little to no motor maintenance. I would sell the Revo 3.3 and buy a E-Revo brushless.

RC Qualifier
    I edited my original post to throw in the option of going brushless..

RC Qualifier
    Your going to have to run lipo's to get that insane speed and power. I just got a Rustler VXL and the speed with the 7 cell 8.4v is plain dissapointing, the 8 cell 9.6v is better but even that cant hang with my brothers 3.3!I just have to stick with it, im gonna have to get the biggest mah 3s Lipo I can afford because I need the speed that I know the Velineon is capable of! Like someone else said ERBE with Mamba on 6s will tear a 3.3 apart. The brushed version will dissapont you. If the trucks clean and you get a smokin deal you can always use the Traxxas trade up program to get the Mamba and it might be alot cheaper then a new BL truck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    But I do have access to a BNIB 1/10 Brushless Velineon System for a $100 bill, would it work well for this truck if I got it, and be comparable to an E-Revo Brushless Edition then?
    No, you cant use a single vxl system in the erevo; the MMM system would be your best bet for a reliable, powerful & fast system ( or a hobbywing 150amp esc and 4274SL 2000kv motor system ). The vxl system is designed for a 1/10 2wd stadium buggy/truck weighing about 5-6lbs, not a 1/10-1/8 4wd MT weighing 8-12lbs.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Well I ended up picking this truck up anyway. I traded my broken T-Maxx 3.3 for it, so I've got about $150 into it. So far I'm happy with it, but I have a feeling I'll be exploring brushless soon..

RC Competitor
    Can you get Trade up (power up) in the UK

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I dont think so- the UK traxxas help center/ distributor closed down in favour of some other company doing the distribution. You'd have to take a look on the traxxas website and see if they allow overseas 'trade-ups', but dont hold your breath..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    can you convert a revo 3,3 to a brushed motor rather then brishless

RC Enthusiast
    Yes you can. Requires a few mods but it works.

RC Qualifier
    Do you guys know this thread is 2/2.5 years old?

Sent from a red cased iPod touch.
    Slash VXL, Rally VXL, and Stampede 4x4 VXL.

Go on...you know you want to
    Rock n Rolla !