RC Qualifier

how do you charge two 2s at the same time

Can anyone give me details, diagrams, materials needed and pictures on how to make an adaptor to charge two 2s batteries on a charger built for one battery at a time?
    Too many characters and not enough space allowed.

RC Champion
    simply a series harness on 4s mode, a 4s --> 2x2s splitter cable for balancing and you are good to go (I think).

or parallel. then charge on 2s and each pack will get half the charge current you set it at

RC Champion
    check out this link and scroll down to figure #3

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/

Then u need to build a tap adapter.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Qualifier
    BAM!!! This is where I bought my iCharger and P350 power supply and some of my parrallel charging and balancing taps. Charging lipos in parallel is safer then series. http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...utj0tq5s613la7
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Champion
    Adapter for batteries POWER connector:
    Series or Parallel?
    Adapter for BALANCING:
    Series or Parallel?
    What type of tap? JST-XH, JST-XE, JST-PA, Hyperion, Thunder Power, other?

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html

^^^^ This will get you the configuration pics for proper wiring of multiple packs. The lowest section is the most helpful for tap and power wiring.

YES I like parallel when the amps are available!!!

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    My Charger is a Skycharger B6AC+ and will only put out 5Amps max. It takes forever to charge them one at a time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jarchie
    My Charger is a Skycharger B6AC+ and will only put out 5Amps max. It takes forever to charge them one at a time.
    If you charge in parallel will it not take the exact same amount of time to charge two packs together as it would take to charge them separately? If you charge in series it will take roughly the same amount of time to charge two packs as it takes to charge one?

Or am I totally wrong?

RC Qualifier
    Well, if i charge them in series(making it a 4s), then that is what I would set my charger to. My setting would be 4s at 8000mah in series, (They are 8000 mah 2s batteries) And if I went parallel, that would be 2s at 16000 mah. I am thinking that it would be better to charge them in parallel.Where can I get the 3 pin and 5 pin connectors to make my balance plug? I can make it myself if I can get the stuff, I also need to make an extension for my LVA.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    If you charge in parallel will it not take the exact same amount of time to charge two packs together as it would take to charge them separately? If you charge in series it will take roughly the same amount of time to charge two packs as it takes to charge one?

Or am I totally wrong?
    if you charge in parallel you must set the amps at twice the amount you would normally to get the same result (otherwise it takes twice as long)

if you charge in series you must set the voltage (cell count) at twice you would normally for one pack (or your batteries go POOF)

its all about the watts

if you charge series 4s 5 amps, it will take just as much time as 2s 5 amps (normal). this however 50w chargers can't handle, and will automatically change it to the highest value possible without exceeding 50w.

now parallel 2s 5a for 2x 2s packs. (normally one @2s 5a) will take twice as long, to get the same charge times as one pack at a time you set the current at twice normal. (10a) this most 50w chargers will not let you select.

remember multiply volts times amps for the series setup, then volts times amps for parallel setup, then compare the watts.

series
    10v x 5a=50w

parallel
    5v x 10a=50w

same result

RC Champion
    OK You have 2S 8000 mAh packs and a 5 amp 50 watt max charger AC/DC.

ONE 2S 8000 mAh at 1C is 8.4volts @ 8 amps = 67.2 watts
    You only have 5 amps max so it would 8.4v @ 5 amps = 42 watts = 96 minute charge time (approx).

Put TWO packs in Series as a 4S 8000 mAh pack = 16.8volts @ 8 amps =134.4 watts
    You only have 5 amps and 50 watts .... so best you could do would be 16.8 volts @ 2.9 amps = 48.72 watts = 165.5 minutes (approx).

That's a 26.5 minute savings for charging both in series versus each seperatly (42 watt versus 48.72 watts).

REALITY = You need a much better charger ..... like an iCharger 206B and PS 350 power supply = easily charge both packs in one hour!!! in a parallel configuration (safest) or a series configuration.
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 09-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Other then the Hyperion EOS1615i DUO3 Balance Charger, are there any other chargers out there that will charge two LiPo's at once and I would like to have it AC/DC. $250 seems high to have to also buy a power supply. My other option is to just spend $70 and buy a second Skycharger B6AC+.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    AC/DC duo charger? Good luck with that..

$55 for the Thunder AC6 is an even better option, but yeah, a pair of 50watt ac/dc chargers is a better and cheaper option,- what is the cell count and mah capacity of your lipos?
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    I recently bought a G.T.Power A6-10. $50 for a 200W 10A charger to charge my two 9000mAh SMC lipos. I can ballence charge them both in 2 hours in paralell at 10A or in 1 hour in series at 10A still.

Just to be clear I would like an Icharger but fot the $ spent this is a great charger. I have had no problems with it. One day I will own an 3010b, until that day comes this will have to do.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    AC/DC duo charger? Good luck with that..

$55 for the Thunder AC6 is an even better option, but yeah, a pair of 50watt ac/dc chargers is a better and cheaper option,- what is the cell count and mah capacity of your lipos?
    I have 2 2s 8000mah 7.4v lipos. I had the Thunder AC6 and it is a great charger (I sold it for more then I paid for it) but the SkyCharger has the balance plug made into the charger and it is only $5 more then the Thunder AC6.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    True, they are so similar it doesnt really matter which you go with. 8000mah lipos is the tricky part though for sure, tricky to find an 8amp charger with a built-in PSU, if not impossible. Still, ~2 hours between runs isnt much of a wait, gives you a chance to have a rest and get something to drink & check over the truck for damage and loose screws etc etc.

RC Champion
    Two 2S 5000 mAh in Parallel TP 1010C charger and 210V balancer
    2S @ 10 amps = 84 watts > Parallel Power and Parallel Balance adapter

Two 2S 5000 mAh in Series
    4S @ 5 amps = 84 watts > Series Power and Series Balance adapter

Either way they are both charged in about 60 minutes.
    TP 1010C does 10 amps max or 220 watts max

My setup could easily charge both your 2S 8000 mAh packs in a Series Rig:
    4S @ 8 amps = 134.4 watts

When dealing with Thunder Power you WILL NEED balance tap adapters!

You need to get over the AC/DC requirement as it will severly limit your charger selection.

Low end choice = iCharger 106B 6S, 10 amps, 250 watts $100 & PS-350 supply $70
    Better choice = iCharger 206B 6S, 20 amps, 300 watts $140 & PS-350 supply $70
    Several new "BEST" chargers at much higher costs > 30 amps and 1000 watts

The battery technology is getting better and better. Charging at 2C or higher rates is NORMAL and that means easy 30 minutes or less charge times when needed .... but you need AMPS and WATTS to accomplish this.

LiPos are "somewhat" dangerous. You are supposed to NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED when charging. You should consider a GOOD charger an investment in SAFETY and TIME SAVINGS.

I will soon be upgrading from a Lipo Sac charging bag to a LiPo Locker http://lipolocker.com/ as I have watched it's development since I consulted on it's initial conception. This is a self extinguishing system THAT WORKS.

Stay Safe while charging!!
    Bob

RC Champion
    I just remembered this well put together thread from last year.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=498097

RC Qualifier
    I was bidding on a Hyperion Charger last night but lost it by $10.25. I was willing to go up to $150 for the used one but I can get a new on eBay for $209.00 with free shipping. I was not going over $150 for a used one. I guess I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one and a power supply. What amperage power supply do I need? is 10amps enough from the supply to run that DOU3 Hyperion?

RC Champion
    I use a 25amp PS and the Hyperion 1210i (can be found for about 85bucks now) with 2 LBA10 balancers... chargers 2 2s 5000's at 10 amps.. or 2C rate..

Charger sees a 4S pack...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Champion
    jarchie,

0615i DUO 3 = 0.1A to 15.0A max CHARGE Current in 0.1A steps (subject to 180W/port limit with 14.5V+ DC PS) 360 total watts

Is 10 amps enough you ask? Do the math!!!

You have (your 2S 8000 mAh packs) 8.4v @ 8 amps = 67.2 watts .... and you have two of them = 134.4 watts .... and you need at least 25% more input watts than output for lost efficiency (heat) = 168 watts

14.5 volts @ 10 amps is only 145 watts .... and 12 volts at 10 amps is only 120 watts > Not enough!!!

You are considering buying a 360 watt max charger ..... and a much, much smaller power supply = Unhappy user.

RC Qualifier
    Thought I would ask, I have a 12v 10A power supply already that I use for my class. I was not sure how many amps the PS had to be.

RC Champion
    Thought I would ask, I have a 12v 10A power supply already that I use for my class. I was not sure how many amps the PS had to be.
    You have 120 watts and that would work to charge a single 2S 8000 mAh pack at 1C rate easily in one hour ..... but NOT two.

http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=884

^^^^ Here is a 12 volt @ 30 amps 350 watt regulated power supply for $20.84 plus shipping. THAT'S the cheapest I've seen for a server supply.

http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/ also has GREAT power supplies at very reasonable prices.

or ...... try this exercise at your class = http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

I learned electronics by Heath kits and other self taught build-it-yourself electronics....that had TUBES in them and GLOWED when powered up!!!

Bob
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 09-04-2010 at 08:36 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Im glad Im not the only person on this forum who undersrtands the concept of watts = volts x amps

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness
    Im glad Im not the only person on this forum who undersrtands the concept of watts = volts x amps
    I understand the VoltxAmps=Watts. It is called Watts Law. Watt, Ohm ans Kerchaff(spelling) all were the pioneers of electricity and I get that. i work in the AUTOMOTIVE field. We have very little use for Watts. I am now to the whole use of Watts thing. My world revolves around 12v DC. Volts and amps, I have a great grip on. It is when I have to start taking two componants and make them work together and I have never used them is when I get cofused. All the battery chargers I have used in this hobby have been AC/DC and have worked very well for me. I never know that they worked on Watts Law. If I am correct in my thinking now, I need a 12v 70-100 amp power supply. 12volts x 100amps = 1200W and well be more than enough Right?

RC Champion
    I understand the VoltxAmps=Watts. It is called Watts Law. Watt, Ohm ans Kerchaff(spelling) all were the pioneers of electricity and I get that. i work in the AUTOMOTIVE field. We have very little use for Watts. I am now to the whole use of Watts thing. My world revolves around 12v DC. Volts and amps, I have a great grip on. It is when I have to start taking two componants and make them work together and I have never used them is when I get cofused. All the battery chargers I have used in this hobby have been AC/DC and have worked very well for me. I never know that they worked on Watts Law. If I am correct in my thinking now, I need a 12v 70-100 amp power supply. 12volts x 100amps = 1200W and well be more than enough Right?
    woah there that is more than enough for three (large) chargers!

12x30 amps should cover most of your needs.

just remember that when charging 3s or more (2x2s in series counts as 4s) the charger will step up the voltage, which means it will draw more amps than the pack recieves.

batteries
    14.4x20 amps=288 watts

powersupply
    12v x 20a 240 watts

this means you could think "my powersupply is 20a, my charger is set to 20a, everything is OK.

when in reality your charger drew 25A @12v and stepped it up to 14v@20a for your batteries (just an example, NOT REALISTIC)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Bandit, I was just making a point. I agree I do not need a 100A power supply but is I get one and go that route, I always buy larger than what I need. I will most likely go with a 30-50 anp supply. Seems large anough to do the job and still do anything I may want to do later. I am still thinking that for 460 shipped that I can go with another Thunder AC6 and charge two batteries on two chargers at one time and not break the bank. at 5 amps, it will still take close to two hours. Just spitballing here again.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Bob, the 1c and 2c things are what throws me off. I am still learning all that terminolgy. Could we keep it a little more simple?

RC Champion
    8000 mAh battery is an 8 amp hour battery. A 1C (call it 1 capacity) is 8 amps for one hour. A 2C charge is 16 amps for 30 minutes. A 3C charge is 24 amps for 20 minutes. A 4C charge is 32 amps for 15 minutes. etc.

You still and always put back 8 amps per hour (8 amp hour battery).

http://www.scriptasylum.com/ and http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos

should be definite BOOKMARKED sites .... which have a wealth of info in them.

Multiple parallel pack charging is very main stream stuff with circuit boards or with wiring for connections:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NczQwVTI2bY

Of course I did ALL the circuit layout for this 8 processor MB so multiple ANYTHING does not phase me!

Keep your chin up .... it will all soon make sense!!

Bob
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 09-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.