RC Qualifier

Comcast HDTV Resolution Question? 1080p or 720P???

1080P or 720p???
    I've heard comcast sends out what is send to them
    is this true?

I've heard ESPN broadcast in 720p?
    My question is which should I watch Pool/Billiards in 720p or 1080p
    I've heard some people like to match the resolution of the network???
    "A good engine, is worth the price of ignition"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTMaxx
    1080P or 720p???
    I've heard comcast sends out what is send to them
    is this true?

I've heard ESPN broadcast in 720p?
    My question is which should I watch Pool/Billiards in 720p or 1080p
    I've heard some people like to match the resolution of the network???
    Well I would say that anything you can watch in 1080p should be watched in 1080p. Seems like a no-brainer to me, unless I'm missing something.

Do you know how to access that special menu on your Comcast remote? You can set your resolution on the cable box there.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    All disney owned channels broadcast in 720 p. That includes disney branded channels, abc affiliates, and espn networks. No television network currently broadcast in 1080p. The only way to get 1080p is through "on demand" movies with Dish Network or Direct tv or through blu ray. As far as comcast it would be helpful to know what model of cable box you have. Some are capable of native resolution.

RC Qualifier
    I watch a lot of professional Billards.
    I just wanted to know if watching the pool balls roll on the table would be better in 720 or 1080?

I'm considering buying the sony kdl32ex400 if that would help
    Last edited by DaTMaxx; 08-21-2010 at 09:59 PM.

RC Champion
    I take it you are watching tv in a small room.

RC Qualifier
    1080i, or interlaced, is the highest you can get via cable
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    I take it you are watching tv in a small room.
    The room is only big enough for a 32" maybe 42"
    going with a 32" for money reasons.

RC Champion
    Makes sense and good on you for not going overboard on size. I go into soo many homes where people have a 52 inch in a small one bedroom.

RC Champion
    I thought a TV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 would scale any source signal to that resolution anyway.

RC Qualifier
    I watch a lot of professional Pool/Billards.
    I just wanted to know if watching the pool balls roll on the table would be better in 720 or 1080?

I'm considering buying the sony kdl32ex400 if that would help
    I've heard 720p is better for fast action; and produces less blur.
    and 1080p is better for movies
    is this true???
    what does comcast send their signals out in???

RC Qualifier
    I've heard 720p is better for fast action; and produces less blur.
    and 1080p is better for movies
    is this true???
    what does comcast send their signals out in???
    It depends on 2 things - the source (cable/sat box, DVD, Blu-Ray, gaming console) and the display itself. Also, how the signal gets from one to the other. An HDMI connection will allow for the highest resolution to be transmitted, and since it's a digital signal, the display will then convert it to a video signal to be displayed. Since the signal is digital do NOT be fooled into thinking you need to invest a lot of $ into a HDMI cable. It either transmits all the 1's & 0's, or it does not. You can get a quality cable for less than $20.

You will also see in the specifications a "refresh rate" which is an indication of how capable the display is of rendering motion. A higher number usually means it's more capable. As far as display type, my personal preference is plasma. Best picture & viewing angles.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Qualifier
    1. It's 1080i, not 1080P, like someone else stated, cable oly goes up to 1080i.

2. 720P is better because it's progressive, verses interlaced, but you don't really have a choice over the 2. if the network broadcasts in 1080i, that's what you get. Just keep the tv set to the highest setting, and it will adgust automatically to lower resolution channels.
    Sig edited as a one time courtesy.
    NC

Also, don’t be fooled into thinking that an HDMI cable will transfer the signal from the source better than a RBG component cable. A lot depends on the source and the TV being used.
    I just went through the process of installing a 50” Plasma over my fireplace. I wanted to keep everything simple. I only wanted to run 1 power outlet and 1 HDMI cable through the walls to over the fireplace.
    After opening up the wall to run the cable and power I luckily tested everything before closing the wall back up. The HDMI cable just did not give me the picture I was used to with a different LCD I had been using. I plugged in a RBG cable from the sat box to the TV and got a perfect picture.
    I am using a Bose 321 sound system for audio so it was easy to add the RBG cable in the wall for the sat receiverto TV since the Bose would take care of the audio.
    The Bose system has the Blue Ray, DVD, CD etc built into it and to get the best picture from it I had to use the HDMI cable instead of the RBG.
    If you have them, try the different cables from the source to see which gives the best picture. I’m glad I did before closing the wall back up and painting.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    Also, donít be fooled into thinking that an HDMI cable will transfer the signal from the source better than a RBG component cable. A lot depends on the source and the TV being used.
    I just went through the process of installing a 50Ē Plasma over my fireplace. I wanted to keep everything simple. I only wanted to run 1 power outlet and 1 HDMI cable through the walls to over the fireplace.
    After opening up the wall to run the cable and power I luckily tested everything before closing the wall back up. The HDMI cable just did not give me the picture I was used to with a different LCD I had been using. I plugged in a RBG cable from the sat box to the TV and got a perfect picture.
    I am using a Bose 321 sound system for audio so it was easy to add the RBG cable in the wall for the sat receiverto TV since the Bose would take care of the audio.
    The Bose system has the Blue Ray, DVD, CD etc built into it and to get the best picture from it I had to use the HDMI cable instead of the RBG.
    If you have them, try the different cables from the source to see which gives the best picture. Iím glad I did before closing the wall back up and painting.
    You must have had some setting wrong, analog vs digital is no competition.

And don't spend a lot on an HDMI cable. You can compare a $200 vs $5 HDMI cable, they will transmit the same signal, and it will look exactly the same.
    NC

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    Also, donít be fooled into thinking that an HDMI cable will transfer the signal from the source better than a RBG component cable. A lot depends on the source and the TV being used.
    I just went through the process of installing a 50Ē Plasma over my fireplace. I wanted to keep everything simple. I only wanted to run 1 power outlet and 1 HDMI cable through the walls to over the fireplace.
    If you have them, try the different cables from the source to see which gives the best picture. Iím glad I did before closing the wall back up and painting.

The audio snob in me is screaming right now

Better Off w/Something Else

And yes, just because the HDMI signal didn't look like what you were expecting from the RGB source does not make it inferior.
    Censorship is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by esebcarfreak
    I thought the same thing until I ran into the issue and researched it more thoroughly.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by esebcarfreak

And don't spend a lot on an HDMI cable. You can compare a $200 vs $5 HDMI cable, they will transmit the same signal, and it will look exactly the same.
    +1000, Just because ANY cable costs big bucks doesn't really mean it's a better cable. I've seen supposedly gold connectors only to be electro plated and cheezy coupling of the wire onto the supposed high quality connectors. Even with Digitial signal impedance is extremely important, especially as you increase the length of the cable.

I am a Certified F.C.C. Class A Technician and been dealing with Audiophile systems as well as being an Amatuer Radio Operator at the youthfull age of 10.

But HDMI over RGB Composite video? In general you can push a lot more information through a proper digital connection than any analog signal which can lose image quality if poorly shielded, or very poor length.

I've seen great quality HDMI cables that are inexpensive in comparison at Costco and even Walmart. Just try the cable if you don't like it return it.

But if you have a cheapy source HDMI and a high quality source RGB then it's one of the many links in the chain.

I have COMCAST HDTV, I also have a 52" HP LCD 1080P 120 Hz flat panel. It is very comparible to Blue Ray, not quite as good, but then again some channels are using better equipment than others. Discovery specials in Hi Def are breathtaking......

NOw if you really want a clear picture, dump $400.00 in a quality UPS, but all your video on the battery side and your surround sound on the surge suppress side (UPS probably won't handle the load of Surround Sound amps)... Very noticeable with High Def Blue Ray Discovery Channel discs I have rented, and did A/B with and without the UPS. Also being in Florida it's a good insurance policy against Kaboom!
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Champion
    Nitro its been my observation that a "clear" picture depends on the quality of tv, the source, and most importantly the observer. Once you go past 720p in picture quality the difference in quality is not as drastic as a lot of people make it out to be.

RC Qualifier
    Nitro its been my observation that a "clear" picture depends on the quality of tv, the source, and most importantly the observer. Once you go past 720p in picture quality the difference in quality is not as drastic as a lot of people make it out to be.
    What resolution is your monitor? 1080? set it to 720 and report back.

And you notice it more with Blu-Ray's at 1080P.
    NC

RC Champion
    Let me start by saying that I work for Comcast as an installer. Have been for over 3 years now. Ive installed thousands of customers in that time including sports bars with multiple providers. I should explain my comment a little more. Geeks (most members on this website) can tell a very big difference between between 720 and higher resolutions. The majority of hdtv owners......aren't. For various reasons (quality of tv, eyesight, age, sex) they can really only tell the major difference between standard def and high def. Its just not as dramatic to the average hdtv owner is all Im saying.

RC Qualifier
    Let me start by saying that I work for Comcast as an installer. Have been for over 3 years now. Ive installed thousands of customers in that time including sports bars with multiple providers. I should explain my comment a little more. Geeks (most members on this website) can tell a very big difference between between 720 and higher resolutions. The majority of hdtv owners......aren't. For various reasons (quality of tv, eyesight, age, sex) they can really only tell the major difference between standard def and high def. Its just not as dramatic to the average hdtv owner is all Im saying.
    Yeah I see what you mean, my bad, took it a different way.
    NC

RC Champion
    Naw its cool man. Talking about hdtv stuff is what I do and I should of done a better job my bad.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigV
    Since the signal is digital do NOT be fooled into thinking you need to invest a lot of $ into a HDMI cable. It either transmits all the 1's & 0's, or it does not. You can get a quality cable for less than $20.
    Amen, brother.

I get my 6' HDMI cables from Newegg for under $10. They either work, or they don't. Shame on anyone who blows $100 on a Monster cable from Worst Buy. Unfortunately, some people don't, and never will, know any better.

RC Champion
    The only thing you need to be careful with when it comes to the cables is whether or not they are "High Speed" or "Category 2" cables.

Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).
    Either way, you can buy cables for >$5 on amazon.com with free shipping, even better deal than what newegg.com has surprisingly. Anyone who spends more than $10 (before shipping) on a 6' or shorter HDMI cable is paying too much.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Champion
    You never did mention the model of box you have Data.

RC Champion
    On my box you can access a special menu and manually select 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

RC Qualifier
    Monoprice.com is also a good place, 6ft for $3, and I'd suggest you make a large order with your buddies too to save on shipping. Their cables are great quality and very sturdy.
    NC

RC Qualifier
    After I get my HDTV can I temporary hook it up to my Non-HD digital box from comcast. Without damaging the TV
    Until I have a tech bring out an HD Box
    Will just having the HDTV improve the picture on a digital box to?
    What do Non-HD digital boxes send 480P?????

RC Qualifier
    After I get my HDTV can I temporary hook it up to my Non-HD digital box from comcast. Without damaging the TV
    It wont, it will look blurry, you will need a HD cable box to see improvements.
    NC

RC Champion
    Hopefully you get a cisco or pace rng box as those have native resolution settings.

RC Qualifier
    Won't hurt it a bit
    Censorship is wrong

If your TV is LCD. Use progressive scan. 720p or if you can 1380x768p. Avoid interlace. LCd doesn't like interlace. It always blurs and jsut isn't as good. 1080p need a true source to be true 1080p. You really don't see a huge difference between 720p and 1080p on smaller tv like 26' to 37"(NOT COMPUTER MONITORS). I spent years on this and I just live it at 720p.