RC Racer

im coming from nitro to electric

i dont really have a clue about lipo really, but im going to get a titan, and i eventually want to run lipo. Im use to running nitro boats (miss bud), so again, i really have no idea what im doing. ive been reading on lipo and it seems pretty itimidating to me, for the fact that it seems like it's pretty easy to screw things up, and i rather not do that.
    So my question is to run 6s lipo, what is everything i need to have inorder to not mes up the batteries, have consistent runs, and make the batteries live as long as possible? What arer the pupose of lipo balancers? that confuses me more. Do you really need a balancer? i guess alist of everything i need or is nessacry to run the boat to its max and doing it consistantly. Thanks for everyone that answers =]
    L61!

RC Qualifier
    Lipos are not intimidating at all, on the contrary they are actually very easy to use and maintain. Take it from someone who just started using them in January of this yr. You have to keep an open mind and don't listen to everything you see/hear online.

I went the expensive route with my Charger and Lipos just for the mere fact that I wanted what I believe to be the best that I could afford. I have the iCharger 206B along with the P350 P.Supply. The iCharger has a built-in Balancing feature. Balancing is very important IMHO; It keeps the cells at the same voltage level as best it could every time you hook it up to do a Balance/Charge.

Say you have a single 3S Lipo pack (11.1v); That's 3 cells in that one pack, as you charge the Lipo pack the first cell to hit ~4.2v (approx. max charge for Lipos) will have the charger stop the charge, but this doesn't mean that the other 2 cells have reached full 4.2v. The same goes for when you're discharging the packs (or actually running them in your application, boat/truck etc.) say you have a set LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) of 3.2v per cell; under load one of the cells may reach 3.2v while the others for ex. may be 3.3v and 3.5v. Overtime, with use as you continue this cycle of charging and discharging the Lipo 'pack' the cells will become way out of whack. This is why Balancing the cells are important, it keeps them at the same level for the most part every time you hook the Lipo pack up to Balance/Charge.

Another important protocol to follow with Lipos are to always do a Storage Charge after your runs if you're not going to be running them again for a while. I run like every other week or so on avg. but I always do a storage charge nevertheless, no matter what. After a run I hook the Lipo(s) up to my charger and select the 'Storage Charge' mode. This puts ~3.85v back into the Lipo pack. So, you mentioned consistency and long life; Balancing and doing Storage charges does just that....they give your Lipos the ability to live and perform at their best as long as they possibly can.

If you want more info. on the iCharger and Lipos I run let me know. I'll send you a PM.
    Last edited by makaveli72; 08-21-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Qualifier
    im coming from nitro to fe boats too. i just bought a 34in twin drive cat and new hyperion 5000mAh 45C 11.1v lipos and there are 2 of them run in this bost. and im not getting 5 mins of good run time. really sucks coming from gas and nitro to this. i hope the titan is better that this cat i just spent and arm and a leg for. heck i blew $260 just in batteries.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPriami
    im coming from nitro to fe boats too. i just bought a 34in twin drive cat and new hyperion 5000mAh 45C 11.1v lipos and there are 2 of them run in this bost. and im not getting 5 mins of good run time. really sucks coming from gas and nitro to this. i hope the titan is better that this cat i just spent and arm and a leg for. heck i blew $260 just in batteries.
    and I've got my $25 5000mah 40c packs waiting for this Mono

Quote Originally Posted by n5bulldawgs
    i dont really have a clue about lipo really, but im going to get a titan, and i eventually want to run lipo. Im use to running nitro boats (miss bud), so again, i really have no idea what im doing. ive been reading on lipo and it seems pretty itimidating to me, for the fact that it seems like it's pretty easy to screw things up, and i rather not do that.
    So my question is to run 6s lipo, what is everything i need to have inorder to not mes up the batteries, have consistent runs, and make the batteries live as long as possible? What arer the pupose of lipo balancers? that confuses me more. Do you really need a balancer? i guess alist of everything i need or is nessacry to run the boat to its max and doing it consistantly. Thanks for everyone that answers =]
    Lipos are no sweat man
    the only issues I've ever had was taking them past 100% on discharge
    I only run my Boat packs to 80% and have never had an issue
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-25-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli72
    Lipos are not intimidating at all, on the contrary they are actually very easy to use and maintain. Take it from someone who just started using them in January of this yr. You have to keep an open mind and don't listen to everything you see/hear online.

I went the expensive route with my Charger and Lipos just for the mere fact that I wanted what I believe to be the best that I could afford. I have the iCharger 206B along with the P350 P.Supply. The iCharger has a built-in Balancing feature. Balancing is very important IMHO; It keeps the cells at the same voltage level as best it could every time you hook it up to do a Balance/Charge.

Say you have a single 3S Lipo pack (11.1v); That's 3 cells in that one pack, as you charge the Lipo pack the first cell to hit ~4.2v (approx. max charge for Lipos) will have the charger stop the charge, but this doesn't mean that the other 2 cells have reached full 4.2v. The same goes for when you're discharging the packs (or actually running them in your application, boat/truck etc.) say you have a set LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) of 3.2v per cell; under load one of the cells may reach 3.2v while the others for ex. may be 3.3v and 3.5v. Overtime, with use as you continue this cycle of charging and discharging the Lipo 'pack' the cells will become way out of whack. This is why Balancing the cells are important, it keeps them at the same level for the most part every time you hook the Lipo pack up to Balance/Charge.

Another important protocol to follow with Lipos are to always do a Storage Charge after your runs if you're not going to be running them again for a while. I run like every other week or so on avg. but I always do a storage charge nevertheless, no matter what. After a run I hook the Lipo(s) up to my charger and select the 'Storage Charge' mode. This puts ~3.85v back into the Lipo pack. So, you mentioned consistency and long life; Balancing and doing Storage charges does just that....they give your Lipos the ability to live and perform at their best as long as they possibly can.

If you want more info. on the iCharger and Lipos I run let me know. I'll send you a PM.
    Yeah if you dont mind sending me info on the icharger and the lipos.
    about discharging, i have read that it is bad to fully discharge them, why is that? oh and since the balancer is already built in, does it do it automatically or do you have to hit a button to tell it to? yeah your write the batteries themesleves are not really itimidating, reading about them is what makes it nerve raking to mess up a 70 dolar battery haha. i appreaciate your help. lipo is honestly what has kept me out of electric for so long

Yeah thats exactly why i have been so hesistant to go to electric because the run times are not very long, and the batteries cost a billion dollars lol. In my heart nitro is the way to go, but maintenece on them is a pain in the but and if your running offroad nitro trucks, you cant spray water all over it to get the dirt off, and i dont have the tools to give it a thourough cleaning. so i thinik electric is easy to maintain but consistancy will always be nitro till they can get substantial run times out of batteries, and the batteries not be so costly. so 4 years or so i guess.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-25-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: merge
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah thats exactly why i have been so hesistant to go to electric because the run times are not very long, and the batteries cost a billion dollars lol. In my heart nitro is the way to go, but maintenece on them is a pain in the but and if your running offroad nitro trucks, you cant spray water all over it to get the dirt off, and i dont have the tools to give it a thourough cleaning. so i thinik electric is easy to maintain but consistancy will always be nitro till they can get substantial run times out of batteries, and the batteries not be so costly. so 4 years or so i guess.
    Batteries are getting cheaper almost every day
    you can get amazing 5000mah 40c lipos for 25bucks!
    and sweet chargers for less than 20bucks
    runtimes though are low, at or around 5min to 7min
    Gassers are what I love
    First MiniSlash

RC Qualifier
    Yeah if you dont mind sending me info on the icharger and the lipos.
    about discharging, i have read that it is bad to fully discharge them, why is that? oh and since the balancer is already built in, does it do it automatically or do you have to hit a button to tell it to? yeah your write the batteries themesleves are not really itimidating, reading about them is what makes it nerve raking to mess up a 70 dolar battery haha. i appreaciate your help. lipo is honestly what has kept me out of electric for so long
    Yes, you should never discharge below 3.0v per cell. That's just another rule to follow with Lipos. (It's just their DNA if you will) This is why you set an LVC on the ESC so that it doesn't go below that voltage. I personally set my LVC to 3.2v per cell. And you should never charge above 4.2v per cell. With a good charger like the iCharger you wouldn't have to worry about over charging.

When you want to charge your batts. there's an option on the iCharger to do a 'Balance Charge'. So while charging, it balances out the cells automatically, one time.

BTW, PM sent!

Hmm...yea that does suck...FE boats really drain the snot out of batts. huh. I guess i'll need to start searching for a pair of 3S 10,000mAh batts. <--- Most likely not.

What i'll do is have at least (2) maybe (3) Pairs of batts. on hand. That way I should get at least 10 - 15mins. Total.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker
    Batteries are getting cheaper almost every day
    you can get amazing 5000mah 40c lipos for 25bucks!
    and sweet chargers for less than 20bucks
    runtimes though are low, at or around 5min to 7min
    Gassers are what I love
    where have you seen batteries like that? lol i mean for that cheap?

is it possible to stick one 6s 22.2 v lipo in the new boat or will we have to wait for someone to try it out themselves? would that be better running one 6s or 2 3s? i know it depends on the MAH but just asking. Again , thanks for eveyones help
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    is it possible to stick one 6s 22.2 v lipo in the new boat or will we have to wait for someone to try it out themselves? would that be better running one 6s or 2 3s? i know it depends on the MAH but just asking. Again , thanks for eveyones help
    One 6s will throw the balance off
    better to run two packs
    I'm going to try my 5s packs in parallel to give me good run times
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    you can run two 5s lipo? let me know how the run times go....of course when we eventually get it haha
    L61!

RC Racer
    I think he meant running a 2s and 3s in parallel to make a 5s pack, if that makes sense.
    my trucks: t maxx, e maxx, and stampede :)

RC Racer
    I do understand that, but dont they have to be the same mah rating? what would run times be for 2, 2s 4200mah 40c , in the titan be? i know noone is sure but just wondering
    L61!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede xl1
    I think he meant running a 2s and 3s in parallel to make a 5s pack, if that makes sense.
    no, if you read what I put..
    and you cannot run a 2s and 3s in parallel.. that will burn up

you can run two 5s lipo? let me know how the run times go....of course when we eventually get it haha
    yes you should be able to as long as they fit in the hull
    and my runtimes will be double over a 5000mah series setup
    I should see 10-12min of runtime
    First MiniSlash