Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70

    Summit slipper adjustment

    Hey guys!

    First - a great thanks to all of you community members for making this source of information available. I've been searching around for almost any kind of answer, and I've usually found it here

    I am trying to get the slipper setting right. I guess I'm having problem separating the sound of the clutch slipping from the general sound of the car. I am using a Traxxas HD slipper which has been set to appr. 3/4 turn from fully compressed state. I've also adjusted the throttle curve to a convex shape for best throttle control. The car is hardly pulling wheelies, so I guess that's a sign it's not too tight. But is it too loose?

    After the first second or two and first 13 seconds you'll hear the sound I'm refering to.

    Grateful for any help on this one.


  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    93
    Hi !

    I believe this is the slipper that's heared ! I thing you have it too loose !

    The manual at page 23 says:

    "To achieve a good starting
    point for the slipper clutch,
    tighten the slipper clutch
    adjusting nut clockwise until
    the slipper clutch adjusting
    spring fully collapses (do not
    over tighten), and then turn
    the slipper clutch nut counterclockwise
    to turn."

    So, start over again based on the above, as it seems that now you have over-loose it at about 100% ! Then only make new adjustments if needed at about 1/8th of a turn each time.

    Better do this quite soon as now it looks like you are shortening the life of the slipper materials

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Thanks, georgemarousi. Will check and do it again. It really sounds like something is "screaming" when the sound comes, so I guess you're right it's too loose. Then I guess it will do a little more wheelies as well.

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    93
    You're welcome!

    Yes that's right, change it and tell us how it goes. I have applied the "manual" setting from the beginning (exactly in-between 1/4 and 1/2 turn from 100% tight) and I believe it works very good; It seems to be "slippering" momentarily right at a fast start, and at most it only allows just the begin of a wheelie and no more, I believe the proper setting !

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,538
    I can't really hear anything different at 13sek taht before.

    I tell you how I set my slipper:

    1) Place the Summit on a high traction surface, something like carpet
    2) pull full throttle 2nd gear
    3) the slipper should slip for about 2-3 feet or 1-2 seconds
    4) the front wheels can lift a couple of inches from the ground but not too much

    I have my stock slipper set to about 1/2 Turn.

    If it is set too loose it will warm up pretty quick and then slip heavily. You will notice this while driving. No more acceleation, high noise.

    If it is set too tight, the half shafts will break and you will notice this too
    Last edited by soundmaster; 04-15-2014 at 08:33 AM.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I can't really hear anything different at 13sek taht before.

    If it is set too loose it will warm up pretty quick and then slip heavily. You will notice this while driving. No more acceleation, high noise.

    If it is set too tight, the half shafts will break and you will notice this too
    The thing is quite noise, isn't it? I guess it's the result of quite a few pieces rotating quite fast.....
    ..and yeah, I guess I will notice when the shaft's broken

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post
    The thing is quite noise, isn't it? I guess it's the result of quite a few pieces rotating quite fast.....
    ..and yeah, I guess I will notice when the shaft's broken
    Yes it is noisy, but not sure it is the slipper. Also check the gear mesh. What gearing and motor are you running?

    But you could also just close the slipper 1/4 turn and see if noise gets less - pretty simple
    Last edited by soundmaster; 04-15-2014 at 09:20 AM.

  8. #8
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Yes it is noisy, but not sure it is the slipper. Also check the gear mesh. What gearing and motor are you running?

    But you could also just close the slipper 1/4 turn and see if noise gets less - pretty simple
    I am running a Tekin T8 2000kv motor. 17t pinion, 58t spur. I'll check gear mesh. Should be able to slip a piece of paper through, right?

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post
    I am running a Tekin T8 2000kv motor. 17t pinion, 58t spur. I'll check gear mesh. Should be able to slip a piece of paper through, right?
    I always use two layers of paper to set gear mesh.

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I always use two layers of paper to set gear mesh.
    Perhaps gear meshing is set too tight? Could that be the source of some extra noise?

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post
    Perhaps gear meshing is set too tight? Could that be the source of some extra noise?
    Absolutely!!!!

    Neverthless adjust the slipper with the above descibed method.

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Just tried to adjust the gear mesh a little bit - not a good idea. The T8 is a powerful thing - it just ate my spur-gear (made of nylon) almost like it was made of butter..... Having a few spare parts seems to be a good idea....

    Soundmaster - I've closed the slipper 1/4th of a turn (but didn't get to test the effect of it....) Anyway, this also gives me a chance to examine the status of the slipper pads when changing the spur. Nice to have something to do in the holiday....

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    93
    ops.. bad to hear.. how did that happen, what went wrong?

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborgx View Post
    Just tried to adjust the gear mesh a little bit - not a good idea. The T8 is a powerful thing - it just ate my spur-gear (made of nylon) almost like it was made of butter..... Having a few spare parts seems to be a good idea....

    Soundmaster - I've closed the slipper 1/4th of a turn (but didn't get to test the effect of it....) Anyway, this also gives me a chance to examine the status of the slipper pads when changing the spur. Nice to have something to do in the holiday....
    Not good. How did you adjust the gear mesh? A proper gear mesh is crucial.

  15. #15
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    I was trying to check if the mesh perhaps could be too tight - and loosened it just a little bit. Bad idea. Truck drove 3 meters, than one ugly sound appeared. Several teeth broke off the spur. I've replaced it with a 62t spur I had in reserve. Strange thing is that I now found it a little more difficult meshing the new gear-combo (paper couldn't get all the way through), but I am pretty sure it isn't too loose this time.

    At the same time I had a look at the slipper, but I think it's hard to determine the wearing. You can easily see the stripes after the slipper pads (sorry guys, tried to enclose a picture, but it didn't work). I haven't been driving much with this slipper installed, so I guess it's a sign the setting has been too lose (and the time has come to order a new one).
    Last edited by cyborgx; 04-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    70
    Hi guys, here's a little status on my slipper adjustments:

    Slipper tightened 100%, then loosened about 1/4 turn. Result: Less noise, a slipper that barely "screams". Changed spur and readjusted (tightened) gear mesh. I have a feeling this contributes to a less noisy driving experience as well. So far, so good. I'll be changing the slipper with a new one as I figure the one I have now has been worn quite a bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •