Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Why does my esc keep bur my batter cable of?

Well I solder my wire on really good and I'll just be driving it and my wire just comes unsolder it's only one wire the other wire stays solder and when I press the gas alil bit not much my rc will go forward and reverse fine but if I press the gas just alil it's like the cluuch is slipping are something it will be like jumping u know how when u get shocked by something that's how it jumps I really need some help
    Last edited by Billgates1234; 08-16-2014 at 05:59 PM.

RC Champion
    The jumping is normal. Whenever you have a UN-sensored brushless system you will get that stuttering/jerking effect called "cogging" when you start off real slow.

If your wires where soldered on well and it still melted off then your system is still running too hot.

Try a few runs with your 14t pinion, if it doesnt melt then you may have been geared too high.

Does your truck /wheels roll smoothly when the motor is not engaged?

You did solder on those connectors yes?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    I have my 14 pinion pinion already on I checked my motor and esc and they do not get hot they r cool no where near hot

RC Racer
    And yes they roll fine

RC Champion
    Did you purchase a real soldering iron or are you still using the 8w battery powered iron?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Racer
    I have a weller 40 watt coming this will be fine right?

RC Champion
    you really need to post some pics of what your up against here so we can properly help, ime having a hard time reading your questions, pics are worth a thousand words.....if you don't have the connectors on properly yet then there is the problem still.... post some pics.

ive never had a solder connections just come loose or break free,,, ive broken batteries in half, ripped wires out of both batteries and esc's and never had any "factory or my own" solder conections break free.....

the studdering is normal like he said...but when the battery voltage drops or it starts to die then the cogging studdering will get worse, in some cases when running nimh it will heat the motor and esc up really good.....
    Last edited by jaman; 08-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Cold solder joint
    Does it look dull or shiny?
    A better iron will help that issue bad solder = resistance that equals heat and power loss
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Looks Shiney

In general it takes a lot of heat to melt solder.
    Shiney is usually a good sign.once you get your better iron practice a few joints on some scrap wire to get a feel for the iron.
    It does take practice to get good at soldering.
    The idea is to get it heated joined and cooling fairly quickly so you are not heating up the wires and other parts that don't need it.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Do u think it's just my solder gun the reason my solder want stay on? It's a 8 watt wireless solder gun

RC Racer
    Let me double check when i get home

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Billgates1234 View Post
    Do u think it's just my solder gun the reason my solder want stay on? It's a 8 watt wireless solder gun
    8watts? Wireless?

Dude put on your big boy pants and get a real solder iron. I started with some weak ones also (but not 8 watts weak) I now have great success with a 100 watt Weller iron. For power hungry items dont go wireless if you can avoid it.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer

RC Champion
    cool...post a pic of the conections...

RC Racer
    I will when I get home that's a picture I had on my phone for a whole but it still looks like that

RC Champion
    Glad to finally see a picture.

after 9 threads and 100 postings all asking the same question I was beginning to wonder if you even had a summit.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Lol well I couldn't figure it out till jaman showed me what he did then I found it when I get home I will post some more pictures can't belive yall didn't belive I had one lol but now u see I do have one I don't just make stuff up

RC Qualifier
    Man they grow up so fast!!! Does that motor mount double as a roll cage?

RC Racer
    Nah it's just a motor mount man now I'm about to post some pics yall get ready lol I hope I don't put to many pics and freezes yall stuff lol

RC Racer

RC Racer
    I bought a 40 watt Weller will that be fine?

RC Racer
    Hey yall is my wires hooked up right going from my motor to my esc?

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Racer

RC Champion
    The wires from the esc to the motor is not important. Mixing them up would only result in the motor running backwards, so that is ok.

You need a set of femal traxxas plugs to attach to the esc power wires. Melt or cut all that metallic gunk off the wires and try again. Peep out some youtube videos "how to solder 101" seriously. There are 500+ videos teaching you how to solder. Theres even a few specifically on how to solder Traxxas style plugs.

But yea that is one HUGE motor mount.
    When your done can I borrow it to do some chin-ups?

just joking.

but seriously, get on youtube.

hey moderators, can one of you delete post #21. That thing is giving me a headache.101
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Lol sorry about that. So u think when I get some good plugs and that 40 watt Weller solder gun my wire on my esc will stop coming off?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Billgates1234 View Post
    So are you still shoving those wire ends into the battery plug?
    That's 20 bucks worth of solder on each wire!
    Last edited by malonefamily2003; 08-18-2014 at 03:18 AM.

RC Racer
    Nope i had a connecter on it but i took it of and threw it swaying have tons of solder lol I looked on youtube how to solder plugs I can do it now what do you thing about that solder is it shiny r what lol

RC Enthusiast
    Solder joints should be nice, clean and smooth. The trick is to learn how to make solder flow. Read up on tinning the iron tip and your wire. Both the wire and what your soldering to need to come up in temp for a strong joint. And... Practice, practice and more practice on scrap. I still flub at it ocassionally. It is an art and once accomplished it is almost effortless.
    Brushless E-Revo
    Summit
    XO-1
    Rustler VXL

That photo is definintely an example of a cold solder. The solder should wick into the wire, not lay on top of it. Keep your iron tip clean and tinned and be sure to apply heat to the wire rather than the solder itself.
    Here's an important consideration: you should not only use the correct iron for the job, but also the correct TIP. If you are using a pencil (conical) tip, I highly recommend getting the widest chisel tip you can for soldering the wires like you find on that ESC. Wide chisel tips hold a lot of heat and transfer it quickly, which is key for this type of soldering.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    you will be loosing some power without a proper high current connection, ime thinking once you get the connectors on most of your issues are over..... nice rig........

RC Racer
    Go to YouTube guys and type in Traxxas summit rideing in a deep pond you'll see a user name called Imgone that's me the I have like 4 r 5 videos up click on the one I uploaded 2 days again when u get done watching that check out my others my summit 1 10 is on 6s the other one where I get down on it boy that thing has some power

RC Qualifier
    bill gates where are you located ? I would gladly do it for you if you are with in driving distance if not ship it and ill glady ship it back same day. Im Ontario Canada