RC poster

top speed of stock summit

Thinking about buying a summit but can't find anywhere on here the top speed of a stock summit? Also if upgrade batteries to lipo (any suggestions on which ones) what can i get the speed up to? Anybody purchased one of the new body styles and have any input of the locking difs and switching gears on the remote, or just any thoughts of the summit?

RC Enthusiast
    Top speed is about 25 mph in high gear with a stock summit. Its fast enought to get a few feet of air on jumps. Lipo wont help with the top speed but it will feel faster due to better acceleration and more consistant feed of amp's.

I came from a faster platform and my thoughts were that it felt just a little slow at first. After running it for a few months I feel it is sufficiently fast and dont plan to upgrade it any time soon.

Locking diff's and remote hi/low gears have worked great for me so far.
    Last edited by chardur; 03-19-2012 at 10:08 PM.

RC Competitor
    For what this truck is capable of, I'm totally satisfied with the speed. I just purchased mine a couple weeks ago so it has all the newer parts and has been solid so far.
    Summit w/ TQi
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    here is a test i did on mine stock
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

^^^ That's more in line with what I've found, around 20 mph.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I am stuck between 1/10 summit and the 1/10 slash 4x4. I can't make up my mind which one to get. Any help?

Absolutely depends on your terrain and intended use. Without knowing this, it's impossible to say. I have both and they are currently my two most used models.

RC poster
    Mostly in the backyard which is little hilly and little rocky and take it with me when I go camping.

wow that video really makes the summit look slow. I was able to eat a sammich in the time it drove back up the street. I think with the top on (lower coefficient of drag), lights off and a tail wind he could have achieved 20.8mph.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC poster
    I have seen videos on YouTube of the summit and it looks like they are going faster than that. Are they upgrading somehow, if so what are they doing to the truck?

There are geared up dewalts ,dual motor and brushless conversions
    You could have seen one of those

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    from what I've read and seen here there are some running brushless motors and non stock ESCs with Lipos, different pinion and spur gear. those are the ones that are faster.

many also have mentioned, since the size of the summit is quite large when you see it physically, it actually feels faster than 20-25 mph.

Need for Speed - I will probably get something designed to run at speed for that.

Quote Originally Posted by shawntom2000 View Post
    Mostly in the backyard which is little hilly and little rocky and take it with me when I go camping.
    A Slash 4x4 with MT tires like 2.8" Badlands or Trenchers will be very capable in your backyard terrain and will still be able to satisfy some of your need for speed.
    A Summit is great for a backyard too...provided that your backyard is a stone quarry!
    Summits truly are designed for extreme terrain. They aren't true crawlers and without some work are also not RC missiles. But no matter how slow mine is, it is invariably faster than I am on the trail or free-styling through the woods, either uphill or down

RC Competitor
    I am stuck between 1/10 summit and the 1/10 slash 4x4. I can't make up my mind which one to get. Any help?
    depends on where you live. I was going to get a slash 4x4 but realized that I would have to take it to the track so now I am going to get a summit

RC Competitor
    I have seen videos on YouTube of the summit and it looks like they are going faster than that. Are they upgrading somehow, if so what are they doing to the truck?
    they could easily be using bigger motors or using lipos

RC Competitor
    Thinking about buying a summit but can't find anywhere on here the top speed of a stock summit? Also if upgrade batteries to lipo (any suggestions on which ones) what can i get the speed up to? Anybody purchased one of the new body styles and have any input of the locking difs and switching gears on the remote, or just any thoughts of the summit?
    it can only handle 2x 2c 7.4v lipos. it doesn't really help with speed but it does give you more of a punch.

RC Enthusiast
    Have you eliminated the E-Revo as a possibility?

It's been 2 years since the last post in this thread. I think the issue is moot, so why don't we let this thread go back to sleep?

RC Competitor
    Just about 20 mph
    1/10 Summit