RC Qualifier

Slayer or Slash?

I've always been a nitro guy but am thinking of getting the Slash Ultimate.....brushless and lipos oh my....60mph on lipos and no tuning and waterproof.......

RC Qualifier
    I have recently switched from nitro to brushless!! And its really awesome!! Just awaiting a pararell connetor(for 30+ min run times!)
    So you just have to watch the esc and motor temps really good!

RC Qualifier
    what temps are considered high? Can u fit 2 batteries?

RC Champion
    Slash ultimate FTW!

You cannot fit two batteries unless you have an even higher powered motor/esc combo (castle) and you mod heavily. I have yet to see it.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Qualifier
    you can fit 2 in paralell just fine for long runtimes, but i wouldnt put 2 in series on a VXL system.. you need a higher amp system capible of handling at least 4s lipos (two 2s in series) if your doing that.. idealy though a 6s rated combo would be best to allow two 3s in series

RC Competitor
    I have a brushless 4x4 and its really cool. Lots of power, and an all out blast to drive. If your going to go 3s make sure the slipper is adjusted for that power or your gonna be replacing drive shafts. I shopped around and bought the MIP's cheap. 2s and the stock driveshafts will be fine. You'll get 60 mph out of the truck but expect to do a little tuning. Good Luck

RC Enthusiast
    i've been running 3s since i got the truck like 3 or 4 months and all i've done is change the gears 13t-18t, its been a great basher, i haven't broke anything that wasn't my fault. i love it. well worth it. i also just got a slayer but put a mamba max/5700 running 3s also and its quite crazy to. but i deffenently like the slash more so far.
    Slash 4x4
    1/16 Revo brushless

RC Qualifier
    We have both Slashs and Slayers... I would go with the Slash every day and twice on sundays... its not that the Slayer is a bad vehicle... because its not... but considering you spend 1/2 the time tuning the Slash wins hands down... just stock up on batteries and a couple chargers... you wont ever be stopping...LOL
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

RC Enthusiast
    This helped me alot. As far as the temps go... can you use the Spectrum telematry to keep track of temps????

Thanks alot for helping make my decision easier.

You just want to make sure you don't get to 200*! That will damage to the motor. On 3s it is awesome! It is a blast! Just watch your center bearing. They will lock up on you.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by saint
    This helped me alot. As far as the temps go... can you use the Spectrum telematry to keep track of temps????

Thanks alot for helping make my decision easier.
    Absolutely... I run a 3300T in my 4x4 slash with the temp sensor on the ESC... works great...
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

RC poster
    I agree that Brushless is easier to work with, but I prefer the sound of nitro and also I love working with nitro engines and maintaining them! I think that's a kind of challenge!

RC Racer
    I have both also...after break in and some tuning(2 days worth) my slayer starts in 3 seconds and does that every time I run it. I will say there is more maintenance, but the sound of nitro can't be ignored. It's not like lipo's are maintenance free.
    If you can afford both that's really the way to go.

RC Racer
    Cold weather would be an issue....you could always wrap the engine heat sinks in foil tape......here in Texas it's been perfect nitro weather.

With nitro you know how fast your going...the slash is deceptively fast because of the quietness.

RC Competitor
    I have both Electric and gas, right now my Electric ones battery's are at the end of there life, and i don't want to spend a 100+ bucks to replace them but you dont have to buy gas.

RC poster
    I think you should go with the slash 4x4 and you can run 2 lipos in it in series, i switched over to the mamba monster 2200kv motor because of temp issues before that the stock vxl system was really fast on 3s but overheated quickly and running 2s was so boring but good for bashing.Before switching to the mmm i got techno driveshafts really thats all you would need.Now i run a single 4s pack and it hauls, you can gear up so high im currently running 22 54 and it seems undergeared but thats all that will fit until i get a 50t spur and than i will be able to run a 24 or 26 pinion.I cant wait to try 6s because 4s is already getting boring to me and i have yet to crash or break anything knock on wood. Good luck whith your choice.

RC Competitor
    I used a RC-T for years now. And I have yet to try brushless. I was intrigue by nitro so a bought myself a slayer pro. Man I love it. I love that sound and smell of nitro. Its so real. My wife bought her self a t-maxx 3.3 when she saw my slayer. And she loves nitro now also. Ya true with nitro you have to by fuel and tune but I tuned mine for a couple of hours and never looked back. She starts right up every time I go out and runs like a beast. All I can say is nitro is fun. But you have to like to maintain the engine after runs. But to me it's what makes the hobby.

RC Enthusiast
    I just bought a slayer with the hopes of converting it to electric, the slash is much faster with the 3S lipo..but doesn't handle as well through the rough stuff, imo, both are very durable trucks. It just depends on what your looking to do or willing to for that matter. I chose the slayer over the e-revo because of how durable my slash is. Those bumpers are life savers and I've only had to replace (upgraded to rpm) the a-arms. There's alot of reasons the s/c trucks are so popular right now and i think durability has a lot to do with it...
    Ultimate w/ lcg carbon fiber double chassis mod