Thread: Paint

RC Enthusiast

Paint

Hay guys i was wondering how do you paint a slash 4x4 body is it hard expencive stuff like that?

Randal

RC Qualifier
    you need paint designed for lexan, but you can get it in spray cans.

For a simple one-color paint job you just apply the window masks on the inside of the shell, spray a very very light "tack" coat, let it dry, then spray 2-3 more coats depending on the color (lighter colors usually need more coats). 5-6 hours drying time between coats. Peel off the window masks and the protective film from the outside of the body, then apply decals.

Once again - you are painting the INSIDE of the shell. that way when you crash the paint is protected by the shell.

For stripes just lay them out with masking tape, spray the coats of your first color, remove the tape, and spray the second color.

RC Racer
    What he said but a couple of things:

Sand the inside of your body lightly with either a very, very light grit sandpaper or Scott Scouring Pad. (I like the latter). Though it will cloud the plastic at first, it will give the paint something to adhere to. You'll never see the scratches when you're done.

Second, Make sure and clean the inside of your body; a drop of dish soap and warm water after you're done sanding. Make sure and get all the soap out and make sure it's dry.

Finally, do a final coat in either black or white paint.

There are some very good articles online on how-to-paint your body...
    Last edited by IndianChief1000; 08-18-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    Imperial Racing
    Slash 2wd/ 2wd Mod / 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks so much guys.

RC Qualifier
    oh yeah, another tip is to wear nitryl gloves (like rubber gloves but better) when handling the car for washing it and for painting. You avoid getting finger prints inside the car that will show up in the paint, and you keep paint off your fingers.

Another option to spray cans is a cheap Testors air brush. I got one on sale for $25. It's not great, but you would be surprised what you can do with some patience. This was my first paint job:

RC Racer
    Nice... I use a Harbor Freight 15.00 air brush hooked to my 2gal air compressor. It's dual action and el-cheapo. If you search for Star Wars on the forums here, you'll find some of my handy work..
    Imperial Racing
    Slash 2wd/ 2wd Mod / 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    A hair dryer comes in handy. If using a metallic paint, you will need to spray silver on it, instead of blk or white, to get the full metallic affect. 5-6 hrs of dry time seems like a very long time between coats. With the hair dryer, it's only like a minute. Even without it, should only be 10 min. I could see the extended dry time for when the body is done. I let mine sit overnight to cure.

Good luck

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks so much and very nice car.

RC Qualifier
    I had done extensive research and testing on various paint...the best cheaper alternative to proper Polycarbonate paint is available in any good hardware store that's specifically for painting plastic...there is Plasti-Cote brand and others all work very well...just the choice of color is a little limited...but much much cheaper...for similar price, I can get a 340g can that I painted a under tray for Slash 4X4 and also front splitter for my real car made of fiberglass that I laid myself...with plenty to spare...
    Facebook Fan Page www.moochie888.com.au

RC Qualifier
    BTW, don't make my mistake and use Krylon Fusion. It is designed to bond to certain plastics (like lawn chairs), but it won't stay on lexan.

The body I sprayed with it looked great...until I started using it on the truck.

RC Racer
    I've used both the Testors and Parma Fastkote stuff with my brush. I started out with the Testors because I convinced myself the Lacquer based stuff would be better and more durable. The last two cars I've painted I used Parama FastKote and since it's water-based, the clean up is waaaaaay better, I don't have to buy thinners, and I don't asphyxiate myself with the Testors fumes.

Both of them created great paint jobs tho. If you look at my photo album here:

http://photos.hobbytalk.com/member.p...8047&protype=1

Boba Fett and the Stormtrooper car are both Testor's based paints. Yoda and the X-wing are both Parma water-based. In bashing or racing, neither have cracked or peeled off the lexan at all.

I also think the Parma is a better deal - I feel like you get more paint for your money. I know you can think the Testor's, but you still have to buy their thinner or it won't work right. Seriously!

Sadly, I have a ton of Testors paint left I need to burn thru......
    Imperial Racing
    Slash 2wd/ 2wd Mod / 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky17
    A hair dryer comes in handy. If using a metallic paint, you will need to spray silver on it, instead of blk or white, to get the full metallic affect. 5-6 hrs of dry time seems like a very long time between coats. With the hair dryer, it's only like a minute. Even without it, should only be 10 min. I could see the extended dry time for when the body is done. I let mine sit overnight to cure.

Good luck
    Thanks for correcting, that was a brain-fart. 5-6 hours between COLORS, not coats of the same color. You could probably get away with less, but I've had bleed-through and peeling during unmasking when I tried to rush it, even with using a hair dryer.
    Of course it depends on temperature and humidity as well. In a hot dry area or the middle of summer it will take less time. Might depend on the type/brand of paint and how much thinner you use in it as well.