RC Qualifier

What's a 6S lipo setup going to cost me, and what's the best place to get them?

I've been out of RC since 2006 but I had all sorts of nitro and electric models, from the T-Maxx and Revo to a brushless Mini-T that I owned my first lipo pack with. I also have an Aquacraft Nitro Hammer laying around, my first foray into boats a while ago... leaky and unreliable but fun when it worked!

This boat caught my attention again and I feel like I'm coming into it blind. I've forgotten my sources where I used to get really nice quality nimh packs (GP3300s back in 06) built and shipped, and I've totally forgotten about lipo.

Is traxxas going to have a lipo pack/charger, and if not, what's the best source of lipos these days, and what am I going to need to charge them? I vaguely remember owning a big power supply for a lipo charger in the past, I'll have to find it.

Thanks.

Edited for language abuse. Please watch your language... if you see starred out words, they have been blocked by the filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-26-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Currently own: XXX-4 kit, 13 turn dbl || Factory Team RC10B4 w/ Novak SS5800 || Mini Z Overland || Mini-T, Speed 300 ||| T-maxx w/ Ofna Picco .21max ||| Team Losi XXX-NT with new OS CV-RX .18 ||| Nitro Hammer ||| Savage 25 w/ Wasp .28 ||| Brand new revo! ||| Micro RS4 w/ Team Orion Big Block, ~30mph.

RC Qualifier
    their are a few good brands... whats your budget per pack?
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Racer
    hobby king works well but the store is in china so you have to wait 1-2 weeks
    there is no one word to discribe this hobby!!!!!:)

RC Qualifier
    you will need two 3s lipos in series. not 2 6s in paralell. your boat may sink with the wieght of the 2 6s lipos.
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, whatever the optimal setup is, so two 3s lipos. I...don't really know for a budget yet...what's the absolute best and what's the best bang for your buck?
    Currently own: XXX-4 kit, 13 turn dbl || Factory Team RC10B4 w/ Novak SS5800 || Mini Z Overland || Mini-T, Speed 300 ||| T-maxx w/ Ofna Picco .21max ||| Team Losi XXX-NT with new OS CV-RX .18 ||| Nitro Hammer ||| Savage 25 w/ Wasp .28 ||| Brand new revo! ||| Micro RS4 w/ Team Orion Big Block, ~30mph.

Bang for the buck is the stuff from hobby king, you can get 5000mah 3s 30c lipos for about 35 bucks. I wonder if you could squeeze two 6s in there to run in parallel if you decided to run smaller packs (3000 to 3500range) that way you could get 6-7000 mah instead of the 5000 you get the other way. They wouldn't weight THAT ,much more, and would hardly sink the boat.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fs454
    Yeah, whatever the optimal setup is, so two 3s lipos. I...don't really know for a budget yet...what's the absolute best and what's the best bang for your buck?
    Man, this is getting repetitive. Well it never hurts to copy a recent thread does it.

Please see below thread. It's not that much to read.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=525604
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Its true... every time someone asks about a lipo it gets touchy. A good place to start looking, only because they sell the boat, the lipos and chargers all in one place and they give you a discount if your order more stuff, is tower hobbies. You could put the boat on one order and get $60 off, then put a charger and 2 lipos on a 2nd order and get more of a discount with their super saver club (costs $10 to become a member, but you save $10 extra off your first order and you get codes each month for discounts of up to $60 off a $300 order)
    They have a full page of lipos and its worth a look. I like venom lipos. Excellent mix of quality, customer service and price. You can go to a hong kong supplier and get them CHEAP... but customer service is all but non existent and the quality, some would argue, isnt as good. Or you can go to a place like Max amps and spend WAY more on lipos but get, what some argue, is the best quality.
    SPC is also a great choice for price/customer service and quality and many on the car/truck side swear by them.
    For a charger, get one that will balance charge and has a power supply built in. Venom makes a good one called the Venom Pro charger. Dynamite makes the passport ultra... those are the 2 ive used but there are others. Search around on the rustler/pede/slash forums for the topics your looking at and youll find tons of great info.

I bought my Titan from tower. Ive been running Venom lipos for a while with no issues and will have 2 X 5000mah 2S and 2X 5000mah 3S for my titan. I use a dynamite passport ultra charger. I bought the batteries and boat from tower, and the charger from Amain hobbies.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/ind...mit&sid=470936

They have a new program, where if you are willing to wait, CBP will order a fresh batch of packs when they get enough pre orders. The prices get lower the more packs you buy.

I'd go with SPC for customer service and the pack shipping from East Coast USA.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    Bang for the buck is the stuff from hobby king, you can get 5000mah 3s 30c lipos for about 35 bucks. I wonder if you could squeeze two 6s in there to run in parallel if you decided to run smaller packs (3000 to 3500range) that way you could get 6-7000 mah instead of the 5000 you get the other way. They wouldn't weight THAT ,much more, and would hardly sink the boat.
    I agree for the price they cannot be beaten
    It is most possible to run two 5000mah 6s packs in parallel
    I have 5000mah 5s packs I'm going to run in this mono!
    I should have great runtimes with 10,000mah
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Qualifier
    is 20c enouch with 2 3s lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by slash50
    is 20c enouch with 2 3s lipos?
    with FE boats the lowest C rating I use is 30C
    20c could get it done, just don't go below 20% capacity on the packs, or they will puff
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i predict accurately rated 20C/5000mAh (approximate capacity) packs will easily operate this new boat.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My venoms are 20c/30c burst... im hoping that will be enough. They are 5000mah. I really dont want to go buy their 35-50c packs as they are 3X the price of these ones.
    We'll see I guess.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    I received my new ******* watt meter today.

As soon as I got my titan we will see how much this boat is pulling,so we can say for sure how much the C rating atleast has too be.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaster
    I received my new ******* watt meter today.

As soon as I got my titan we will see how much this boat is pulling,so we can say for sure how much the C rating atleast has too be.
    what watt meter is it?
    most need to be stationary to read the meter
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    an easy way to see how many amps the system is pulling is time the run like 4min then charge the battery and calculate the average amp draw
    http://offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this system will not pull 75amps cont, so possibly even a 5000mah 20c could work just fine
    First MiniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sure they will. If the Nimh packs that are going to be provided with the boat work, any accurately rated 5000mAh/20C LiPo's will work as well.

RC Enthusiast
    It's this one :
    I think it will do the job just fine for my rc stuff.

The ******* watt meter is a very accurate R/C amp/watt meter.
    Predict model airplane flight time with any given propeller.
    Ensure peak currents are safe for motor, ESC, wiring and connectors
    Check battery health and performance.
    Evaluate R/C battery charging efficiency.
    Choose the best propeller or gearing and the most efficient motor
    Check for wiring and connector power losses
    Measure power and energy consumption of ANY device with a battery

Spec.
    Operating voltage: 4.8~60V (0V with optional auxiliary battery)
    Measures;
    0~130A, resolution 0.01A
    0~60V, resolution 0.01V
    0~6554W, resolution 0.1W
    0~65Ah, resolution 0.001Ah
    0~6554Wh, resolution 0.1Wh
    Screen: 16x2, backlit LCD display
    Size: 85x42x25mm
    Weight: 82g
    Last edited by blaster; 07-09-2010 at 02:11 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaster
    It's this one :
    I think it will do the job just fine for my rc stuff.

The ******* watt meter is a very accurate R/C amp/watt meter.
    Predict model airplane flight time with any given propeller.
    Ensure peak currents are safe for motor, ESC, wiring and connectors
    Check battery health and performance.
    Evaluate R/C battery charging efficiency.
    Choose the best propeller or gearing and the most efficient motor
    Check for wiring and connector power losses
    Measure power and energy consumption of ANY device with a battery

Spec.
    Operating voltage: 4.8~60V (0V with optional auxiliary battery)
    Measures;
    0~130A, resolution 0.01A
    0~60V, resolution 0.01V
    0~6554W, resolution 0.1W
    0~65Ah, resolution 0.001Ah
    0~6554Wh, resolution 0.1Wh
    Screen: 16x2, backlit LCD display
    Size: 85x42x25mm
    Weight: 82g
    most of those do not have a recall memory
    most are real time numbers, so it may not work well in a car or boat, because the boat needs to be up on plane to get an accurate reading
    it should have a setting that shows constant amps and volt to give a good indication of how much the motor is pulling not just peak and I think that is the only recall it may have
    Last edited by filmmaker; 07-09-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    Although the cheap battery packs are a good deal for dry land vehicles I think for the Titan's power and just the fact that the packs could get wet you may want to go with MaxAmps Waterproof Lipos

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddubbua
    Although the cheap battery packs are a good deal for dry land vehicles I think for the Titan's power and just the fact that the packs could get wet you may want to go with MaxAmps Waterproof Lipos
    most any decent lipo with 20c and greater will work just fine
    30c and bigger is better for FE boats..
    ask me how I know
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    I was more just referring to how they are waterproof out of the box. I suppose you could get just about any other battery and waterproof them your own way but I like to outsource all the stuff I might do wrong if I was to do it myself in the Hobby.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was more just referring to how they are waterproof out of the box. I suppose you could get just about any other battery and waterproof them your own way but I like to outsource all the stuff I might do wrong if I was to do it myself in the Hobby.
    If you come up with a great idea to do this, let us know
    all my packs are not waterproof and I've yet to really need that with my packs
    lipos can get wet without damage to them
    First MiniSlash

RC Enthusiast
    Is that really true? I've always been afraid to get them wet with all I've heard about how dangerous they are. Anyone done tests?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is that really true? I've always been afraid to get them wet with all I've heard about how dangerous they are. Anyone done tests?
    I have gotten several of my packs wet in my FE boats.
    I just unplug them and let them dry out before I charge them back up, and they work perfect
    First MiniSlash

RC Racer
    I'm hoping to get one of these boats as soon as my LHS has them in stock. I use Thunder Power 4200mah 40c 3cell batteries in my Stampede and love them. I had one submerged in water at the beach and no problems, run the Pede through puddles during torrential downpours and still no problems with the lipos and they're 2yrs old. I can't wait!!!!
    O S E !!!! The place to be !!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've heard many good things with Thunder Power cells
    First MiniSlash