RC Qualifier

Qs on Props and such....

So i've already been thinking on trying out different props on this boat when I do get it; even though i'm months away from getting it. I already have a desire to really push the envelope with this thing; So here's a couple newbie Qs to get things going....

....So filmmmaker (or anyone w/ previous FE boat experience), If I were to upgrade to a prop such as this one, what would be some advantages/disadvantges in doing this?...off the top of my head I can already figure that the electronics might get twice as hot by just a prop change such as this. After all, it's a 3 blade compared to the stock 2 blade that's coming with the boat.

How difficult would it be to change a prop on the boats? For ex. I think you mentioned you had/have the SuperVee? Have you ever upgraded/changed the stock prop on it before? Is it as simple as setting a pinion gear on a truck?

Anyone have a clue what size the prop shaft is on the Titan...3/16"? If so, will only 3/16" size props fit?

Also, I noticed the prop I linked to above states its dimensions are 40mmX52mm Diameter pitch. Compared to the Titan stock prop being 42mmX59mm; in comparison what matters between these measurements? Is one better than the other?

I also saw that compared to the the prop I posted above and this one, the price difference is kinda huge. I can only assume it's because this one is not balanced. How hard is it to balance these props, and how does one balance them. Is it like balancing tires, using putty/gum? I know!, or do you shave off metal from the prop until it's leveled/balanced?

I wonder if traxxas plans to manufacture other 'upgradeable' props for this boat, and not just replaceable ones?

I think that's all for now...thanks guys.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Qualifier
    Finally, some talk about props!

Just some general info...The first number is diameter, the second number is pitch. The bigger diameter the prop, the more load it will have. Same goes for pitch. Also, 3 blades put more load than 2 blade. 3 blade props are typically less efficient at top speed, but can have better acceleration.

I will assume that the Titan takes 3/16" props. If it doesn't, traxxas screwed up IMO. Changing the prop is simple...it is just one nut on the back. The shaft is keyed so the prop can't spin on it.

Sharpening and balancing is EXTREMELY important. If you don't want to take the time to do it right and buy all of the equipment, you can buy them already finished. Basically, it involves a balancer and shaving off material from the heavy side until it is balanced.

Typically metal props are better because they don't flex under load. How much difference there will be depends on how stiff the composite material of the factory prop is.

The prop that you linked is actually less aggressive than the one included on the Titan.

Prop selection involves balancing between a large enough prop to get the performance you want without overheating the electronics. If the prop is too small, you will not have enough load and cavitate easily.

Since we don't really know the performance of the factory electronics or how much drag this boat will have, the best prop selection will have to be found out after experimentation. I'm sure Traxxas did their homework on prop selection, but I'm sure they wanted a prop that you can use with any voltage and not overheat the electronics. A lot of us are going to want to push this thing to the ragged edge.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli72
    So i've already been thinking on trying out different props on this boat when I do get it; even though i'm months away from getting it. I already have a desire to really push the envelope with this thing; So here's a couple newbie Qs to get things going....

....So filmmmaker (or anyone w/ previous FE boat experience), If I were to upgrade to a prop such as this one, what would be some advantages/disadvantges in doing this?...off the top of my head I can already figure that the electronics might get twice as hot by just a prop change such as this. After all, it's a 3 blade compared to the stock 2 blade that's coming with the boat.

How difficult would it be to change a prop on the boats? For ex. I think you mentioned you had/have the SuperVee? Have you ever upgraded/changed the stock prop on it before? Is it as simple as setting a pinion gear on a truck?

Anyone have a clue what size the prop shaft is on the Titan...3/16"? If so, will only 3/16" size props fit?

Also, I noticed the prop I linked to above states its dimensions are 40mmX52mm Diameter pitch. Compared to the Titan stock prop being 42mmX59mm; in comparison what matters between these measurements? Is one better than the other?

I also saw that compared to the the prop I posted above and this one, the price difference is kinda huge. I can only assume it's because this one is not balanced. How hard is it to balance these props, and how does one balance them. Is it like balancing tires, using putty/gum? I know!, or do you shave off metal from the prop until it's leveled/balanced?

I wonder if traxxas plans to manufacture other 'upgradeable' props for this boat, and not just replaceable ones?

I think that's all for now...thanks guys.
    Sweet, already looking for more speed!
    the prop you listed has less pitch and is smaller.. I would be a great prop being its metal and yes the price difference is because of the labor involved with S/B a prop.. It's all hand done, and I've done a few and it does take a while to get it right
    I'm going to try a S220 on 5s
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...i-prather-s220
    and on 6s this one should do well..
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...i-prather-s215
    it has a smaller diameter put more pitch so it could do well, it wont flex like plastic
    this one could be great on 4s..
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=grp-2317.45
    kinda tuff to say what prop will be the best, it all depends on if your running 4s, 5s, or 6s?
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the replies guys...now to just soak it all in. I looked @ the labor involved in sharpening and balancing...while it doesn't seem too difficult at all it's nothing like balancing tires for sure and it seems to be more engaging...so I def. think any aftermarket props I get will be pre-balanced.

Again, thanks for the info. As this would be my first boat ever, I have alot to learn. We have a couple of very informative threads on here so i'll dig them up and read up as much as I can.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli72
    Thanks for the replies guys...now to just soak it all in. I looked @ the labor involved in sharpening and balancing...while it doesn't seem too difficult at all it's nothing like balancing tires for sure and it seems to be more engaging...so I def. think any aftermarket props I get will be pre-balanced.

Again, thanks for the info. As this would be my first boat ever, I have alot to learn. We have a couple of very informative threads on here so i'll dig them up and read up as much as I can.
    OSE is a great place to learn FE Boats
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer