RC Qualifier

80% 5min... What??

I was reading a lipo thread and some were talking about 5000 mah and only running it for 5 mins or 80% of the pack.. Is this something normal users would do? Is this for speed runs? Sounds pretty lame to run the boat 5 mins lol..

I want like 30 mins out of it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aikin
    ... I want like 30 mins out of it.
    Most likely not going to happen, at least not going to happen with high performance from the boat.

RC Champion
    I was reading a lipo thread and some were talking about 5000 mah and only running it for 5 mins or 80% of the pack.. Is this something normal users would do? Is this for speed runs? Sounds pretty lame to run the boat 5 mins lol..

These are boats not cars. There is a reason they list real boats in gallons per hour instead of miles per hour. As an example my 375hp Mustang will net me probably 18mpg on the highway. My 250hp supercharged jetski will net me about 10 gallons per hour at a nice 30mph cruise. Thats roughly 3mpg.

So a boat that has 125hp less, weights less than a third, gets 16% the fuel economy.

Getting the power down in water is not as efficient and therefore takes more power (amperage/voltage/etc) to get a boat to be fast.

In other words you will blow up your battery if you push it too hard. If you want 30 minute run time on a boat, you need to look someplace other than fast electric boats. You need a large scale gasser.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Champion
    With the really big Lipo's above 12k, long run times should be attainable. Or it won't be long until people replace the stock motor with a Neu motor, (very efficient) to extend run times.

There will be alot of speculation on run tims etc., on this boat, well before it is released! Just have to wait and see the first testers, how long it runs in real life.
    I would really like to see an Eagle Tree graph on the discharge vs. speed performance. Obviously there will be a big dump of amps if you jump to full throttle, and while the boat is accelerating, .... be interesting to see what the draw is at max speed, with brand new high end batteries..... the hull will pretty much be out of the water at that point, with minimal drag.

I'm not sure why, but I keep thinking A123 cells might be a good power source ($$$) for this Amp hungry boat. Plenty of room, and weight might be a good thing in rougher water.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

you are correct my friend
    boats pull a lot of constant amps..
    this one should see about 40-50amps constant depending on prop and how many cells you are using
    and being that boats pull so many amps constant you really don't want to run your packs all the way down
    5min should be a safe zone
    I will run 5s packs in parallel (10,000mah total) and should see about 10-11 min of runtime
    and no speculations, welsome to FE

to get 30min of runtime on 80% of a 5000mah pack, you would be only using 8amps const.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-02-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: merge
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow... this is kindof disappointing. I wish id bought bigger batteries. How much effect will a lighter throttle finger have on the run times do you guys who know what your talking about figure? I cant run wide open all the time where I run, but I have 2 3S 5000mah 20c Lipos im going to run. I can run WOT about 50% of the time. Would I be able to get 10 minutes?
    I ran my villain EX (obviously brushed, completely different but same concept) on 2X 2S 5000mah lipos and got like, 25 minute runs. It was amazing. If sub 10minute runs are realistic in a titan on a 5000mah 3S battery i think i may do the same as you filmmaker and buy 2 5S batteries and run them in parallel.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ