Thread: Wider Slash

RC Enthusiast

Wider Slash

How can I make my Slash 2wd wider?

I don't care about any spec, or legal racing concerns, I just bash at my track. I'm going to throw on Traxxas Big Bores and I want it to be wider.

Not only will it look cooler but will handle better.

Is there any "Axle" i can buy to extend the current ones. I know for Savages and stuff like that you can get extended axles. (im not comparing nitro to electric or different vehicles) I just want to know if the concept is possible.

RC Champion
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier

RC Enthusiast
    So a ProTrac setup slash is wider then a Stock Slash?

I don't get it, they have a negative offset wheel, wider arms?

I just want my Slash to be overall wider!
    Last edited by KillaGeek; 07-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.

RC Champion
    The negative offset wheels are so the truck stays within racing regulations. You can use any wheels you want with the protrac and most of them will give you a wider stance.

Or you could try jato arms for a super wide truck, but it takes some serious work to make it handle right.
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, sounds good!

Few questions, now that i'mm going to get this kit.

1. The proline wheels, can my stock slash tires fit on them?

2. Which shocks to use? Proline powerstroke? or Traxxax Big Bore?

I'll probably just use my stock slash wheel tire and slap them on, if they don't handle well, ill use the proline wheels with calibers.

I just want a better handling truck, and if this kit does it, then I don't need that wider stance.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by KillaGeek
    Ok, sounds good!

Few questions, now that i'mm going to get this kit.

1. The proline wheels, can my stock slash tires fit on them?

2. Which shocks to use? Proline powerstroke? or Traxxax Big Bore?

I'll probably just use my stock slash wheel tire and slap them on, if they don't handle well, ill use the proline wheels with calibers.

I just want a better handling truck, and if this kit does it, then I don't need that wider stance.
    depends, if you have the 2.2 tires (ones with the same sidewall on each side) you need the reg 2.2 ones, if you have the 2.2/3.0 you need the 2.2/3 rims.

shocks: use bigbores

you will prob have better luck with the calibers than the stockers but whatever floats your boat right?
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im not sure about the tire/wheel question but if you DO use the protrac wheels your truck WONT be any wider. It will be the same width as before. My suggestion if you just bash is to get the protrac kit, dont use the wheels but buy some 2.2 truck wheels and tires. This will give you a wider stance. I use the protrac kit on my pede and my rustler simply to give me a wider truck and it works excellent.

Id use the traxxas big bore shocks simply because the powerstrokes are double the price and dont give enough (if any) advantage for the money. The big bores are excellent shocks and work great. I love al 3 sets of the ones I have.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Or just go with the Rustler Rear Arms. Thats what i done just for bashing around. Got the RPM rear, leave the front arms original.
    Have a set of the Rustler VXL Wheels lying around. Looks good, just have to cut the Body a bit in the rear.
    An alternative Wheel and Tire Combo that i have, are the RPM Revolver 2.2 wheels and the Proline Gladiator tires for the rear.

RC Qualifier
    I beg to differ about the shock quality. Actually the powerstrokes arethe cats meeeoooowwww. Big bores are just a different metal shaft on the same shock body and pistons. My racing buddy and tuning friend bought the powerstokes and I am soo impressed. Not $100 impressed because I am a homeowner and can't quite justify it over my garage needing painted but as far as the quality its hands down better IF you got the dough.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Champion
    +1 to the protrac kit. Not only will it widen the truck if you use it with normal offset wheels but it will give you a lot more options to tune the suspension to handle better.
    www.thunder-roadhobbies.com
    Moline, IL

RC Competitor
    The protrac setup is 10mm wider with stock offset wheels you can noticeably tell.....I race withe the protrac setup with stock offset rims it turns so much better than the stock set up
    Stampede vxl

Slash 2wd vxl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason88
    The protrac setup is 10mm wider with stock offset wheels you can noticeably tell.....I race withe the protrac setup with stock offset rims it turns so much better than the stock set up
    your track doesn't have rules about width?
    Moline, IL

RC Qualifier
    i use the protrac with zero offset for the track and a jato offset witch is wider for a street stance...

RC Enthusiast
    I really appreciate the help here guys!

This may have gone slightly off-topic, but our discussion still fits the "wider slash" category. The ProTrac kit widens it and corrects itself to stay under Spec rules.

Now with this new knowledge I have obtain, I just wanted to list the Overhaul that's going to undergo on my slash..

32 Pitch gears- 12p/58s
    ProTrac Kit
    Traxxas Big Bore Shocks

I think I will have one amazing competitive SC Truck!

RC Enthusiast
    +1 for the Proline, and go with 1/8 calibers in front and 1/8 bowties in the rear. They add height and stability.
    Slash LCG MMP SCT
    STRC Rusty 4600
    Rusty MMP 5700

RC Champion
    why go with the 32p gears? I've seen a lot of people talk about them but the guy a my lhs who I've gotten a lot of good info from in the past told me the 32p gears were a waste of time.
    Moline, IL