Thread: Gearing

RC poster

Gearing

Hey guys. I've had my Slash Ultimate for 3 months now and absolutely LOVE it. That thing is almost indestructible!!! Only bent a driveshaft so far lol. I'm bought the 2.8 trenchers and I'm curious what gearing I should use pinion/spur? I'm running 2s with the velineon 3500.

RC Champion
    run an 11 tooth pinion and 54 spur. Just watch temp's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    With a stock motor/esc setup, 11 tooth is great. If you don't have a temp gun..... GET ONE!!! Try to keep it below 170F. Shouldn't be too hard, as I ran 3s for a while geared the same.

I always add a heatsink with a single fan for a cheap insurance policy. With the stock system you need to keep a close eye on motor temperature. The VXL is a good little system but it will give out on you if it is pushed.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    Thanks guys. It does have the telemetry sensors and I use my iPhone on it. And also have purchased the heatsink.

RC Champion
    Heat sinks work great but remember they are a heat sink. Once saturated with heat they are at same temp as motor and WILL NOT pull or remove anymore heat from motor but hold the heat against the motor can. I am a basher only and what I do is always pack a cooler with bottled water when I go out for a bash session. I put my motor heat sinks in the cooler and when I hear the esc fan come on (Castle set up) I take a break and start adding heat sinks. Since the heat sinks are near 100 degrees cooler than motor I can get to ambient temps in no time. Wich allows me to gear up and get the speed and fun I want since I am not racing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Heat sinks work great but remember they are a heat sink. Once saturated with heat they are at same temp as motor and WILL NOT pull or remove anymore heat from motor but hold the heat against the motor can. I am a basher only and what I do is always pack a cooler with bottled water when I go out for a bash session. I put my motor heat sinks in the cooler and when I hear the esc fan come on (Castle set up) I take a break and start adding heat sinks. Since the heat sinks are near 100 degrees cooler than motor I can get to ambient temps in no time. Wich allows me to gear up and get the speed and fun I want since I am not racing.
    This doesn't really make sense. Ever try running your PC without a heatsink on the processor? Mine would shut down before booting up!! Yes, the heat sink will be the same temp as the motor(actually a little cooler), but that is the point. If you spread the surface area, you increase the ability to shed excess heat. I do however agree that adding a cooled heatsink will help more!!

RC Champion
    OK I will make this simple. Take a frying pan and put it on the stove it gets hot. Put COLD water in it and what happens the pan cools off. leave the heat on and the water absorbs the heat and boils because it CAN NOT remove anymore heat from the pan.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    OK I will make this simple. Take a frying pan and put it on the stove it gets hot. Put COLD water in it and what happens the pan cools off. leave the heat on and the water absorbs the heat and boils because it CAN NOT remove anymore heat from the pan.
    The purpose of heat sinks are to absorb and more effectively dissipate heat. That's what the fins are for. More surface area equates to faster heat transfer to the air, cooling the heat sink and motor.