RC Racer

Fix one problem and get another one.

Well installed my new xtra duty mip's a couple days ago.So far they are great.But now I have stripped out 2 wheels and melted 2 hexes.With no give in the axles it is twisting the hex pin out of the hex and melting everything.It even took out a bearing from the heat.Now I have to find 2 wheels to match mine and I will be upgrading to alum hexes.I do love the mip's though beat the crap out of my truck and no problems with them yet.I would have gone through 2 or 3 stock axles by now.Thus is the nature of this hobby fix one thing and another problem rears its ugly head.
    Slash 4x4 with MMM/2650kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmonte77
    Well installed my new xtra duty mip's a couple days ago.So far they are great.But now I have stripped out 2 wheels and melted 2 hexes.With no give in the axles it is twisting the hex pin out of the hex and melting everything.It even took out a bearing from the heat.Now I have to find 2 wheels to match mine and I will be upgrading to alum hexes.I do love the mip's though beat the crap out of my truck and no problems with them yet.I would have gone through 2 or 3 stock axles by now.Thus is the nature of this hobby fix one thing and another problem rears its ugly head.
    What wheels do you need?

RC Racer
    Stock blitz wheels.Would like to find ones with trepador tires already mounted.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYGE9&P=SM
    I don't really want 2 brand new wheels and tires.My old tires will not come off the old wheels.
    Last edited by fullmonte77; 07-18-2010 at 05:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Stock blitz wheels.Would like to find ones with trepador tires already mounted.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYGE9&P=SM
    I don't really want 2 brand new wheels and tires.My old tires will not come off the old wheels.
    Oh OK. I have some stock Slash wheels that I don't use thought you might be interested.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jathomas3
    Oh OK. I have some stock Slash wheels that I don't use thought you might be interested.
    Thanks anyway.I just sold a set of like new platinum wheels and tires yesterday.I have not even shipped them out yet.I was going to email the guy I sold them to and tell him I had to refund his money and keep them to use myself.But I thought a deal is a deal and I should not go back on the deal I made.My loss is his gain.I guess I was brought up to well or something most guys would of said the heck with it and refunded his money and said tuff crap find some other tires and wheels.DARN YOU MORALS.

RC Qualifier
    Why not boil or bake the tires off the old wheels and then get a new pair of wheels.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revolt0
    Why not boil or bake the tires off the old wheels and then get a new pair of wheels.
    I tried both and it did not work.

RC Qualifier
    were you using the rolled hex pins that came with the kit?
    slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snowninja
    were you using the rolled hex pins that came with the kit?
    No. I was using the stock pin.Does it really make a difference?Is that so they would shear off and not rip the hex?Like I said I will be getting alum hexes now.

RC Qualifier
    No. I was using the stock pin.Does it really make a difference?Is that so they would shear off and not rip the hex?Like I said I will be getting alum hexes now.
    just curious as i had bending with the rolled pins so went back to the stock ones and no issues since..
    slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Well tried the boiling thing again did 1 at a time.It worked great this time I left them in for 15 min each.The tires peeled right off.Now I just need 2 wheels.I'am glad the wheels were shot because the chrome turned white on them.Tires look fine though.I guess I can spend the $8 for 2 new wheels.I will just have to throw them around in the driveway before I put them on the truck so they look like the other 2.

RC Qualifier
    can you tunr your punch down a bit? sounds like your setting are too agressive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    You could switch to Losi rims with just a pin and no hex. Just a thought.

I think the aluminum hex's should do the trick as long as you keep the wheel very tight up against the hex.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    Make sure that the hexes are not overly tight against the bearings after the wheel is mounted? Without the motor pinion meshed and wheels mounted check for drive line drag by spinning the spur manually.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob
    Make sure that the hexes are not overly tight against the bearings after the wheel is mounted? Without the motor pinion meshed and wheels mounted check for drive line drag by spinning the spur manually.
    good point. if the axles aren't shimmed correctly the hex can bind.

RC Qualifier
    Also make sure not too many shims are being used. The cross-pin needs to penetrate far enough into the hex to get a good bite so as not to strip it out. I've had zero issues on both my stock hexes and the Tekno ones.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Racer
    i havnt striped out a pin yet but i have spun the hex in both of my rear wheels now. i find the easy fix is to ca glue the hex into the wheel. makes it forever but ill get new stock ones if it doesnt fail me in the race.
    S4x4 MMM,1512CC,RPM,MIP
    Revo MMM,1520CC,RPM,MIP

RC Racer
    Well I think my main problem was I had my punch control turned off.I'am going to set it at 20% and see what happens.While I'am waiting for my new wheels and MIP X-Duty fronts to get here I tore the whole truck apart.Found my slipper bearing was starting to fail.It was even an acer ceramic one.Had to put the stock one back in its stll like new.Truck is clean and ready for the MIP'S and new wheels.Can't wait to see what I break next.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy5405
    i havnt striped out a pin yet but i have spun the hex in both of my rear wheels now. i find the easy fix is to ca glue the hex into the wheel. makes it forever but ill get new stock ones if it doesnt fail me in the race.
    Good idea!

Punch control is definitely your issue, holy cow I cannot imagine the MMM in a Slash without punch control. Now I see the reason for the upgraded drive shafts.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)