4wd not as tuff as 2wd?

im looking around and people are saying the 2wd slash is much better and can take more of a beating. IM about to pull the trigger on the ultimate 4x4 or shold i look to a 2wd slash.

RC Champion
    I haven't owned a slash 2wd or driven one, but I have put my 4x4 through the ringer and only broke a A Arm and then a rod end today after running rims that didn't fit well. It loves going to the skate park and landing every which way but on it's wheels. Driver error. She's tough. Nothing RPM can't fix... Check youtube for videos to prove the 4x4's worth over 2wd.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Qualifier
    anything that is heavier and more complex is going to be easier to break.

That said, I wanted 4wd for the on-track control and better off road bashing capability so I am willing to be reasonable with my air-time and do more maintenance.
    Case in point of 2wd Vs 4wd was a couple weeks ago when my buddies and I found this great grass covered hill with a fairly sharp drop. I set up a jump on the lip and had a blast making my truck leap 30 feet down the hill to a smooth downslope landing and then turning it around and chewing back up to the top. My buddy with a 2wd could barely keep control in the grass trying to hit the ramp, then couldn't climb back up the slope to the top.
    Last edited by Mud Puppy; 07-16-2010 at 11:23 PM.

The 4x4 is no punk! I have jumped mine into the side of a building by accident. Have jumped it ran it into things and for the most part she is fine.

RC Racer
    what they said. i have put mine threw alot. 70mph cartwheels, huge airs. they are strong.... but it WILL break.
    BUT these trucks are really basher and dont deal with the abuse well. if you want something to beat on get a revo imo
    Last edited by Remy5405; 07-17-2010 at 12:49 AM.
    S4x4 MMM,1512CC,RPM,MIP
    Revo MMM,1520CC,RPM,MIP

RC Competitor
    The 4wd is not as strong as the 2wd. I have taken both trucks to the skatepark repeatedly and the 2wd always ends the day as the last runner. Even after going RPM on the 4wd it still cant hold tofether. I have ripped arms off just grazing pipes at the track, as well as having both bumpers rip off. I love my 4wd and race it on 3s regularly, but I have relegated it to track duty only.

RC Qualifier
    I ran into a tree at full speed with my PE 4x4 and didnt break a thing. so im pretty happy with mine. plus ive taking so hard tumbles to. I also have all the RPM Parts installed.
    Owner of: 1/10 Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition

RC Champion
    The 4x4 is simply more complex due to the extra hardware needed for the 4wd drive. The 2WD slash is as such an extremely simple car, which means there's less stuff that can go wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I regularly beat the heck out of my 4x, it's plenty tough

And the benefits of 4WD outweigh any "extra" toughness the 2x might have
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-17-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Champion
    2wd's a bit tougher, but 4x4's a lot more fun!
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    They both are tough ... we just had a Slash Bash (5 4x4 and 1 2wd) on an old go kart track for some on road bashing. Nothing like full throttle down a straight and catching a tire on a buddy's slash and watch it cartwheel 20 times and keep driving. The 2wd slash got t-boned by a 4x4 on 3s lipo at full speed and the only damage was the double sided tape gave way holding his esc in on the 2wd.

Get the Ultimate 4x4 Slash!!

RC poster

yes .... but!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlash4x4
    2wd's a bit tougher, but 4x4's a lot more fun!
    ... have unfortunately the same experience: more complex is actually higher risk to crack it. But in my case it was probably just a very bad day!

The 2WD is really incredible, feels like you can walk on it, but...

My new 4x4PE 100% stock went out just 2 times and now it's waiting for repairing:
    - after 10mins running the front left shock upper screw got lost
    - after further 2hrs running the blue-anodized aluminum center driveshaft was badly scratched due to some debris and the slipper shaft plastic bearing adapter melted down ... so also the new Slash was down ... and is still down 'cause couldn't get the spares so fast.

After enjoying the 2WD for almost 1 year with no pain I wasn't ready for such a mess on the 1st day. I hope it really was just a 1 single bad day.

RC Enthusiast
    Both drivers side shock screws loosen all thetime the trick is to use tamiya locktite and to grease onside the upper shock hole that keeps em in..
    The blue on the drive shaft willl be all gone before too long thats just the way it is you cant keep the dirt out... remove the cover and let it run
    we have been racing them every week for about 10 weeks and the only issue has been the bearing on the center diff.
    remove the seals and pack it with GOOD grease then put the seals back in.... mine is still stock and the bearing is still good...
    sure the 4x4 is a bit more complex but its 10 X more fun to drive

RC Racer
    my broken part list for my 4 by...
    control arm front, kicked it and it broke rpm hasnt let me down since.

rear control arm, rear shock, rear drive shafts, and camber turnbuckel. replaced with rpm arms, lundford turnbuckels and pins and rebuilt shock and rest from stock.

rear hub/bearing carrier. replaced with alumium from strc racing. good since.

front bumper, front bulkhead,center drive shaft, front drive shaft hub (plastic mistake by traxxas, get the x part number for replacments guys) big bearing by spur gear, and chassie. 50ish into a honda tire dead center. replaced with all stock but used a steel driveshaft hub and rpm bumpers. good since, driver error.

front knuckel was next i think, took shockand shock tower with it. strc carriers and knuckels are awesome, did the towers in alumium also but those will fold in a large impact unside down also did proline shocks at this time front and rear.

also during this time i have detoothed many spurs, riped axels out of it left and right, ground off body post, brokeabout every thing once.

do note my truck is a pavment machine and has double stock speed capabilites.
    over all i give the truck a 6/10 is toughtness
    my roommates 2wd i give a 8/10
    S4x4 MMM,1512CC,RPM,MIP
    Revo MMM,1520CC,RPM,MIP

RC poster
    get the 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    My brother jumped about 20 feet in the air with his, still drives great today!
    I've also put both of mine through a lot, only had a broken bumper.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)