RC Racer

Kershaw Designs V2.3

Hi folks

3 weeks ago I ordered the KD v2.3 aluminum chassis and just before weekend it arrived here in Norway (which is a decent delivery time over seas).. Unfortunately my wife had made weekend plans for us but last night I managed to complete the build and had really fun while doing it.

Have read different views on this KD-design but afetr 2 tail landings with broken rear hubs and last time even broken chassis as a result I'm was up for something else... Crazy expensive but this hobby is I have learnt

The new KD 2.3 chassis is 100% plug an play. Drive shafts, servo's, front, rear, receiver and esc fits perfectly. The servo's are a bit further from the center point of the chassis so servo links needs to be extended and the chassis is a bit longer (???) than stock so I needed to make some new holes in my hood.

Improvements from earlier versions (based on what I have read) is full fit for all 5608 stock parts, bottom plate attached to read bulk heads (stability and hopefully reduces bulk breakage) and the "ABC-plastic" connector between top and bottom plate.

Have only managed to a quick test run but LCG seems lower and the car is definitly stiffer.. The next question now is durability/bashability... I'll revert on that later..

Here's some pics:

Comments on set-up appreciated (e.g how to mount Traxxas sway bar on those aluminum rear rockers...)...

Experience on KD v2.3 only from people who have actually tried it please (v2.1/v2.2 can be discussed in their respective threads )

Erland - the viking

RC Qualifier
    Are those eBay Win Force LiPo's?
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Racer
    Jeps they are... Have made a comment on those in this thread.

Both my friend and I have a set and are so far happy but we're no "high end racers/amp-chasers".. We're just fun loving guys closing in on 40

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks like it has potential. Shame they made it longer, and moved the servos.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777
    Looks like it has potential. Shame they made it longer, and moved the servos.
    That's actually ok - no probs adjusting the servo's and the length I'm not 100% sure off

It is worse that the rear skid plate from Integy is a bit too long making the Wheely bar difficult to take on/off..... Nothing to do with KD though...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Would you say this makes the chasis even with the front and rear skids?

I reall like the battery tray, you should be able to fit just about any lipo you can put your hands on.

RC Champion
    Dan Fischer's words

''I do not want to mislead anyone that is thinking of getting a Kershaw Designs chassis of any kind. The design philosophy I use is to design a part as tough as it needs to be in order to survive typical crashes on a race track and a bit more. This takes a much more sophisticated design, more risk and testing, but makes a higher performance chassis with quicker acceleration and snappier handling. If you are thinking of getting a chassis to make a truck a basher, I'd look at companies like RC Monster. Mikes part's are overbuilt and, generally speaking, next to indestructible. Kershaw Designs parts makes for lighter, faster performance.''

Don't jump it too high, don't crash too hard, don't cartwheel, don't abuse in any way and your new chassis should do well. Maybe. And yes I write this from my own experience with this chassis.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrash
    Dan Fischer's words

''I do not want to mislead anyone that is thinking of getting a Kershaw Designs chassis of any kind. The design philosophy I use is to design a part as tough as it needs to be in order to survive typical crashes on a race track and a bit more. This takes a much more sophisticated design, more risk and testing, but makes a higher performance chassis with quicker acceleration and snappier handling. If you are thinking of getting a chassis to make a truck a basher, I'd look at companies like RC Monster. Mikes part's are overbuilt and, generally speaking, next to indestructible. Kershaw Designs parts makes for lighter, faster performance.''

Don't jump it too high, don't crash too hard, don't cartwheel, don't abuse in any way and your new chassis should do well. Maybe. And yes I write this from my own experience with this chassis.
    And I've heard pretty much the same from a couple others who have had not so happy results with the KD chassis...

It's a racer, not a basher.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

Lets not dump on the man's new project yet (my God fellas his wallet is still in mourning). Just keep us informed of your experiences. Whats the diff in Version 3? And im lovin those wheels.
    And keep in mind at this time there is no other option for a READY MADE aluminum revo chassis. I have a gorillamaxx revo but since they are no longer making them I am afraid to bash it hard - replacement parts are difficult to come by and expensive.
    Last edited by noir 522; 07-14-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    I don't think we're dumping on his project. At least thats not my intentions. Just letting him know that this chassis is not intended for heavy bashing.

And at over $170.00 that he had to pay, I'd hate to see him have to find out the hard way...
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Racer
    It's the hard way or no way isn't it.... That is if you don't want to stay on stock and/or believe others second-hand information which there seems to be a lot of on different fora's. Not to ditch any of you quoter's but second hand info is second hand info.

Mistercrash - is your experience with the v2.3 or any of the other versions? How did you break yours (jumping - if so how high, crashing - if so at what speed, I just want to learn...)

As there are no other options to stock (without too much workarounds which I by no means are qualified to attack) I'm praying that the v 2.3 improvements do carry some weight.

I have not gotten the "racing quote" from KD but asked Jetlag (see youtube) before placing the order and with his bashing the chassis is still alive and I'm no hardcore (anything ;-) basher but managed to break two rear bulk heads and stock chassis so.... I guess I'll practice jumping and learning to land it right each time on grass as the investment is a bit heavy but we'll do anything to keep the American economy going wont we ;-))

Any tips on how to install the rear sway bar given the aluminum rocker anyone?

rear sway bar? go Tekno. its a slightly different design in the rear than the traxxas ones. more compact and stays above the shocks
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    Quick update....

The car feels really tight and more precise with the new chassis. It also seem lower in the front part making it easier to keep the front wheels on the ground.. Love the look and feel....

I probably tightened the screws connecting the top and bottom plate too much and while jumping I broke the plastic "mid-layer" (front part)- dooohhh... I do put this on my account though and even so Dan's support is great. The day after I reported this he had new mid-layer shipped towards Norway.

In my book this is the definition of customer care and good support!

As shipment to Norway takes 2-3 weeks I could not go easy on the bashing so I have stressed the chassis quite a lot and it have held up well even with the lacking mid-layer support. Do though think I managed to bend the top plate somewhat but nothing I can't fix when I get the new mid-layer.

I'm still considering stiffening the front and back using a push-rod as described in other threads.... Will work on the rear, wil try to work something out on stiffening the front... And the Tekno sway bar in the rear...

The viking

RC Champion
    I see some contradictions in your update but thanks.
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC Racer
    Life is full of them :-)

RC Racer
    So it breaks and bends. I think that's what people have been saying.

RC Racer
    Have to give it a real shot before I conclude...

The breakage is probably my clumsy newbe fumbling and that it bends when I drive it without proper support (with broken mid-layer) I guess you guys will just call plain old stupidity (and to protect myself I call it impatience, eagerness to drive and not caring for my wallet )

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its not you, its the chassis. I know someone who spent alot of money on the older version that uses the plastic braces to join the upper and lower decks; they snaped with very little effort, so he machined his own replacements on layered carbon fibre. Then the ends of the chassis where the bulkheads attached bent and buckled- the aluminium Dan uses isnt 6061, and most likely isnt heat-treated for hardness. I think this chassis is very much for driving on flat surfaces, not jumping or hard bashing at all, which is a great shame really..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    Still have hope but as you say I will be sad and it is a shame if it fails. It's great fun to build, is a beauty on the car and have all the features you would ask for..

If it fails I have to spend even more $$ on an ugly roll-cage... Still hope to avoid that....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Erland
    Have to give it a real shot before I conclude...
    Even with your not so real shot you managed to bend and break parts. Seems pretty conclusive no?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    Even with your not so real shot you managed to bend and break parts. Seems pretty conclusive no?
    I might be over-optimistic but given my statement a few replies a go I still have some hope/give it a real chance. Can't blame the chassis for me screwing the mid-layer to pieces and can definitly not blame the chassis for not holding up hard bashing without the mid-layer support?

RC Racer
    Slow updates from Norway as shipment to Norway takes 10-14 days and I had to go 2 weeks to Singapore for work...

Now my new mid-layer plates have been received from US - free of charge! Regardless of what you have heard elsewhere - KD and Dan has been really supportive and have provide me with great customer support, both on questions per mail and now sending me new mid-layer plates...

My chassis was bent as a did bash with broken mid-layer plates but I do think I have managed to bend it back into shape... I have also tried to strengthen the front part of the mid-layer support when putting my car back together. I have also implemented the "push-rod-support in the rear" to stiffen the rear. Have considered doing something similar on the front end (using the motor mount at one end?)...

Still love the design and as soon as it stops raining I will give it a try again... Unfortunately it seems to rain every day in Norway these days and I'm getting too old for playing wet ;-)

Erland
    The ERBE viking will never walk alone

Have considered doing something similar on the front end (using the motor mount at one end?)..
    Not sure if this would be a good idea unless you mounted it on a section of the motor plate that is attached to the transmission. I would worry that extra stress on the non-supported part, ie where the motor is, would cause more flex possibly causing striped spur gears. Does that sound right to you?

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Racer
    Yeps, that and finding a suitable L-bracket was what was holding me back....

I do love the rear push-rod mod and do think a "similar" setup would greatly improve durability, KD or stock (and save me from the ugly roll-cage implementation which is next up if this doesn't work out...)

RC Champion
    SOOOOoooo.... How's the KD chassis doin'?
    It's been fun. See ya.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Erland
    If it fails I have to spend even more $$ on an ugly roll-cage... Still hope to avoid that....
    Best money I ever spend on my erbe was a rc solution rollcage. No more broken bulkheads and wing mounts.

(I bash hard)

RC poster
    I have the KD chassis and the RC Solution roll cage. I have driven it a few hours and so far everything is working well.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mlokms/E...96388644084114

RC Racer
    A nice pic of the KD chassis in post #1449 -

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...449267&page=37

RC Racer
    I'm back on stock chassis and a ugly roll-cage.... Ugly but works well...

KD-chassis... It is still a good product for speeders but for bashers.....

Next time I'll listen to the experts here but no experiments no fun.... Unfortunately this failed for me but still love the solution and if I didn't bash so hard...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-26-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Content

RC Champion
    Thanks for the update.

RC Racer
    KD isnt known for his quality but it finds a market

Quote Originally Posted by Erland View Post
    I'm back on stock chassis and a ugly roll-cage.... Ugly but works well...

KD-chassis... It is still a good product for speeders but for bashers.....

Next time I'll listen to the experts here but no experiments no fun.... Unfortunately this failed for me but still love the solution and if I didn't bash so hard...
    So exactly what happened? What areas failed/bent/broke? What specifically did you not like about it?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

RC Racer
    I bent it most in the front part and it's difficult to get it back in org position (at least for me). I tried to strengthen it but no luck.. I also bent it over the back bulb...

Other than that I still love it but it is not made for my use unfortunately. The ease with the batteries, the design and "openness" still makes it way cooler than stock plastic in my view....