RC Racer

Question Ballistic 10.5T with stock esc?

Read an article in a mag and it mentioned setup with Ballistic 10.5T and the stock esc. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this setup? I know there's probably better combos, just want to get feedback on this particular setup.

RC Champion
    Cant imagine that motor would be suitable for the car

Higher kv than stock 4200 vs 3500 but less power handling capability (Novak rates it at 235w)

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Champion
    that setup would fry in this truck since their rotors are smaller which gives them less torque. and this trucks needs torque not rpm.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC poster
    this motor did not work with my stock esc. novak told me half the people with this setup have problems.
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    2008 Yamaha yfz450

RC Enthusiast
    I've been running the Ballistic 4.5 with the stock VXL (geared 14/54) without issue. As a precaution, I'm running the VXL ESC fan, and a ******* heatsink/fan combo. Motor temps after a 10 minute main were 110 deg. F (2s LiPo), on a 1/8 scale sized track (32 second laps). Just be sure to use some needle nose pliers to push the sensor wire into the sensor port on the ESC, or you will get cogging.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    What motor are you referring to people having setup problems with ?
    read the thread title
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    2008 Yamaha yfz450

RC Racer
    Carbonjoe- was the upgrade worth it and how much difference did you noticed compared to the stock vxl motor?

I read from last months rc caraction pg 104 and in the gear guide section it mentioned ballistic 10.5t with stock esc. That got me curious about the upgrade. Be nice to get a good motor upgrade for racing for under $100 and not have shell out for an esc as well. But it appears a number of people are running the 4.5t with mmp.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoul
    Carbonjoe- was the upgrade worth it and how much difference did you noticed compared to the stock vxl motor?

I read from last months rc caraction pg 104 and in the gear guide section it mentioned ballistic 10.5t with stock esc. That got me curious about the upgrade. Be nice to get a good motor upgrade for racing for under $100 and not have shell out for an esc as well. But it appears a number of people are running the 4.5t with mmp.
    The Ballistic 4.5 is a worthy upgrade. It's faster, has more torque, and runs cooler than the stock VXL motor. I wanted to avoid any heat issues, and the upgrade has accomplished that. I can always add a new ESC later, but as of now I don't see the need.

CarbonJoe do you have a pic of how you mounted the electronics in your truck before you
    Put the motor in? I ordered a 5.5hv that should be in tomorrow. I want to get ideas how to set the truck up. How are you geared? Do you use 2s or 3s? I will only be running 3s.

RC Enthusiast
    I mounted mine as shown in this thread:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=519477

As far as gearing, look at post #7 above... sorry, only run 2s LiPo, since that's all that local tracks allow for racing.