Thread: Springs

RC Racer

Springs

So I am running a 1/16 Slash stock and the shocks seem to not be performing that way I expected them to. The truck doesnt spring up as I thought it would and the truck will lean to whatever side I turn on or on take off the back end drops quick. I have tightened the springs with the adjuster but that didnt help much.
    I mostly run it on hard packed dirt paths with some loose gravel spots.
    Are the stock red springs weak? from what I read the shocks come stock with 30W oil.

Can I just buy stiffer springs and keep the oil the same?

Any advise on how to stiffen the shocks a bit would help.

RC poster
    I've had the same problems with mine. I'm relatively new so my advice isn't expert but I'll tell you what I've been through so far so maybe save you some time.

Initially I put Slash Black springs on the back with Slash Tans up front. It still did the same thing (I'm running 30wt shock oil for all of this by the way.) My friend has a Merv so I tried using his springs after that (they're stiffer). Now with Merv Blacks in back and Merv Tans in front it seems to spring back well, though the back still sags a bit after acceleration but I think thats unavoidable.

The problem I have now though is cornering is rather trickier. I may have stiffened it too much because I find it going up on two wheels very easy and even rolling over. My next move may be Merv Orange and Merv Tan springs. Hope that helps a bit.

RC Racer
    Thanks Taco...I might just have to try you suggestion.

RC Racer
    Hey Taco
    So would it be these springs?

Traxxas optional GTR tan shock springs for use on the 1/16 Slash VXL 4WD RTR. Constructed of red steel. 2.06 rate, tan

Traxxas optional black GTR shock springs for use on the 1/16 Slash VXL 4WD RTR. Constructed of red steel. 2.22 rate, black.

These were on RCPlanet.com

RC poster
    Those should be them. Usually they're for the Revo. You can tell cause the normal black slash springs have a double black mark on them and the Revo springs have a single mark. Same with all the other colors. For me the black and tan combination may have been to stiff, higher speed turns on concrete and asphalt result in two wheels lifting up or roll overs. The next step down from tan is Orange. Depends what you want to drive on though.

RC Racer
    Thanks...I might order all 3 colors and play around with them.

RC Racer
    I was having a similar problem with my merv just the other day, the right rear was acting very strange on landing. I took out the shocks and drained the fluid only to realize that the bottom c-clip on the TiN Shaft wasnt even attached resulting in no rebounding on that shock whatsoever. Im not even sure how that could happen, unless its because the TiN shafts are more prone to slip off the c-clips. In any case just thought I would share the expericence as it may help you.
    WARNING LEVEL: 60% and rising!

RC Racer
    I have read on here somewhere that some guys are using springs sold at ace hardware that are the same size that you can cut to any length you want. I currently run black in the back and tan yo front on my merv. But I will be tryin the ones ace sells, having a longer spring should help stiffen things up, if thats what yer goin for...
    RC'S LIKE LIFE, IF IT AINT FUN, YER DOIN IT WRONG!

i use the ace hardware springs, really stiffen it up. the gpm springs i have heard are stiff also, however i think both might be too stiff for a slash, i run the ace springs on my revo

RC Racer
    The 2.22 black springs are the 1/16 Revo rate. the Slashes run slightly softer.
    T-Maxx - 3.3 :)
    VXL MERV - 5700Kv :D

RC Racer
    went to my local Ace and they do not normally stock these springs; would have to order. I may try Home depot or just rund the Black/Tan on my slash

RC Competitor
    I just installed the ACE springs, for 8.00 it was great investment. The car works so much better when turning and the increased right height is a bonus. Totally changed the soft performance of the E Revo.

RC Champion
    I use revo green up front and orange in rear.

lipo power!!!!!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I use double black front and rear on my slash.
    How do you "Slash" without a sword?