RC Competitor

Question 3300kv vs 4800kv Brushless Motor, Whats the difference

I am wanting to buy a brushless motor for my Stamped but I am so confused. What is the difference in speed between a 3300kv motor and a 4800kv motor, using the same ESC and LiPo set-up? I know a guy who will sell me either one for the same price. I was told that the 3300kv is from a rc10t4.1 truck and the 4800kv is from a speed-t. He is going to sell me an Associated XP SC450-BL Brushless ESC with which ever motor I pick for $50. A deal that I don't want to pass up. Everything is new, but I don't know which motor will be faster. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

RC Champion
    kv is how fast the motor will spin per volt. so 3300 kv has less rpm. and seeing you are putting it in a stampede i would get the 3300kv. a 4800kv motor couldnt be geared low enough with the big tires.

also, the lower the kv the higher the torque, generally. and in a stampede you want lower kv.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the quick answer. If I may ask, is there a big difference really between the two? I was just looking at an online store at the motors they have for sale. Seems to be a very large range in the motors. I am not very familiar with Brushless motors. I have been out of the hobby for some time and trying to get up to date with all the new technology. I also have a ERBE with the 2200kv motor in it and that thing is a screaming monster on 2x 2s lipos. I put a a set of 3s 50c in it a couple weeks back. WOW! cant even control it lol. I realize that I will be only using 1 LiPo in the stampede but according to the kv number the ones I am looking at are faster then the one in the ERBE? Thanks again

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Remember, the kv rating is per volt applied. So on your ERBE your running 14.8 volts minimum. A 2200kv motor at 14.8 volts is spinning faster than a 3300kv motor at 7.4 volts. But, the 2200kv motor is bigger and has more torque so its capable of pushing the bigger truck at higher voltage. Higher kv typically means fast theoretical speeds but more heat. The 3300 kv motor will run cooler and can be geared taller than the higher kv motor.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I would have to ask what battery you are going to be using mostly.

2s go with 4600
    3s go with the 3500vxl

Its all about controlling the heat.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    I would have to ask what battery you are going to be using mostly.

2s go with 4600
    3s go with the 3500vxl

Its all about controlling the heat.
    Well I actually have several sizes. All are 5000Mah. 2s 20c, 2s 50c. 3s 35c and mostly 3s 50c. So I would be using the 3s 50c most often

Defintely go with the 3500kv motor... the only question I have is what size are these motors? Are they smaller than the VXL/Castle motors with smaller, 380 size rotors? If so, you may need to gear super low no matter what KV you pick. A VXL has a bigger rotor than other similar KV motors so you can gear it up, if these have 380 size rotors you may not get the torque you need to gear up as much as you normally would. I know the brushless motor from the T4 is pretty small...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    if they have smaller rotors in them (wont call them 380 size) i wouldnt get either. they will be slow and run hot. personally, i would look into getting a vxl motor off ebay. or getting that tacon 2950kv motor. thats only $30 and i guess it works good.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

I think im going to get the tacon motor for my wifes pede... although for $10 more you can get the EZrun 8.5 or 13.5 motors... which are well known and perform very well... hard call. For a cheapo build like the wifes purple pede I guess a $35 (to canada) tacon is hard to argue with.
    But yeah, I think these 2 motors the OP is asking about are for lightweight stadium trucks... I dont believe they are more robust like the castle and VXL motors which I think would make the ESC a great buy, but the motors maybe not so much.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

After looking at it a bit more, the Speed T motor (losi xcellorin 4800kv) looks like its actually a full size motor... it looks to be the same can size as a castle motor. Unfortunately, the KV isnt ideal for a pede... the T4 motor looks to be a smaller size can, again, making not ideal for a pede. Of the 2, I think the Xcellorin (losi) motor would be the best choice, geared super low to compensate for the higher KV and watch the temps closely. Youll need a losi pinion to get the gear ratio youll need. Probably a 14 or 15/90 would work. The smallest pinion traxxas makes is a 16t.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Thanks again for everyones input on this. I will be going to look at them this weekend. Maybe I will have made my mind up by then. I just like educated on things before making a decision. Again, Thanks