Thread: 2.4ghz antenna

RC Qualifier
    Minnesota, hey look it's snowing again...

2.4ghz antenna

Anyone know of a replacement antenna for the 2.4ghz link reciever?
    Thanks on advance
    Shea

RC Qualifier
    Found this on amainhobbies do you think that this antenna would work? Or is traxxas' antenna different?
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nd-Case-SR3100
    Thanks
    Shea

RC Qualifier
    Hmm, good find Shea....I wish I knew. Traxxas of course said "you can't replace it yourself and you must send it in for warranty repair" ($20 + SH)

I wish they'd just offer to send out a replacement antenna since they are so busy with repairs right now....It's been over 3 weeks on an item my lhs sent it and they don't even have an update on its repair status

I have the same problem.....broken 2.4ghz antenna and don't want to pay $20 to wait almost a month to get it back!

RC Qualifier
    I ended up just soldering the broken piece back on. You can't even tell I sodered it and the range is back to what it was before, if you can see it you can control it. I figured a new receiver off of eBay is only like $35 and it would almost cost me that much to send it in to traxxas. If it didn't work out I would use the money that would have gone to warranty to get a new rx and if it did work I could use the money to get a second rx for one of my other trucks.
    It worked! Now ordering a second rx.
    Can't wait to get it!
    I emailed traxxas asking about using the power up to trade in my old am receivers from my nitros and recieved an email stating that I had to power up both the rx AND tx oh well...

Shea
    Last edited by Shea al'Thor; 07-16-2010 at 10:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure if I would be so lucky. My antenna is missing about 3 inches off the top.

First I would need to find a new antenna....then I would have to solder the new one on.

Traxxas is still insisitant on it not be solderable b/c it is a coax cable with multiple solder points...etc.

And your right...by the time you send it in to traxxas for warranty repair, you could just buy a new one....typical.

RC Qualifier
    I take it you no longer have the missing piece?

RC Qualifier
    Corect. It came inside a used vehicle i bought. The broken end was hidden inside the antenna tube...didnt know until I swapped it out of that vehicle into another one.

The antenna is not just a wire but a small coaxial wire. Traxxas says they are not user replaceable and will repair them for you if you call their Customer Service for a small fee. I think it's something like $6.00 plus return shipping. Not sure on the price.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    The antenna is not just a wire but a small coaxial wire. Traxxas says they are not user replaceable and will repair them for you if you call their Customer Service for a small fee. I think it's something like $6.00 plus return shipping. Not sure on the price.

I wish...they told me $20 plus shipping.

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE: Replacing the wire on the 2218 2.4ghz link reciever is not only "do-able" by the end user, it is actually one of the easiest things to repair on your RC vehicle.

FYI- once you pop the reciever case open with a small flat head screwdriver, the antenna is attached via a small "snap-on" clip. Yep...that's right. You snap the old one off...and snap the new one on....its that easy.

Sadly, Traxxas either has no clue or doesn't want you to know. I ended up buying a replacement antenna from Spektrum (2.4ghz 3100 model) for $7 and snapped it on.

Now why won't Traxxas sell replacement antennas? My guess is they make more $$ charging $20 for repair than they would $7 selling replacement antennas.

I'll bet this thread gets yanked in no time flat!

RC Qualifier
    So do you even need a special wire to replace ot with or can you just use any reciever antena wire? If it just snaps on I can't imagine there would be multiple mini wires going from it so wouldn't a regular ol rx antena work just fine?

RC Champion
    bmuncie - post a link!
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Shea...no a regular antenna will not work. It has to be a 2.4ghz antenna (mini co-ax cable)

Jay, here is your link. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM9005

It's the same thing only without the small metal piece on the end like the traxxas one.

I had to take my PS3 apart the other day and its wifi cable was made the exact same way. Its just a gold snap on conncetor.

If you can snap the button on your jeans, you can replace this antenna.

Here is a link to the instructions on how to do it: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SR3100.pdf

RC Champion
    Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely keep this in mind (and bookmarked).
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmuncie
    FYI- once you pop the reciever case open with a small flat head screwdriver, the antenna is attached via a small "snap-on" clip. Yep...that's right. You snap the old one off...and snap the new one on....its that easy.
    Most of them are like that, but, I have a few where the antenna is soldered to the PCB...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77
    Most of them are like that, but, I have a few where the antenna is soldered to the PCB...

I looked at men a few days ago after it started to glitch, it's the same way is it soldered on I a special way or can I just sodder on a new one? (like clipping it on but soddering instead of clipping) I'll get a new rx for my maxx but I would like to put this one in my rusty if I can make it work again.
    Thanks
    Shea
    Suzuki
    Way of Life!

RC poster
    My Traxxas Link receiver had the soldered connection. I did a work around that gives me a range of about 200 feet versus the 15 feet I was getting before. I used the wire from headphones for an MP3 player. The wire going to the each earpiece (speaker) is coaxial and very thin, just like the antenna wire. It takes precision soldering with a very fine tip. The wire length I used was about 11 inches long. Good luck!

RC Racer
    just fixed mine,after the Hard metal tip the wire go messed up.
    I snipped the tip off,carefully cut off the black wire coating,THEN MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE MESH WIRE INSULATION(LOOKS LIKE THE STUFF YOU SEE PEOPLE PUT ON HEATER HOSES ON CUSTOM CARS)THIS INSULATES THE ANTENNA AND IF THE ACTUAL ANTENNA WIRE UNDERNEATH ISNT VISIBLE YOUR DISTANCE WILL BE MINIMAL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bmuncie View Post
    Shea...no a regular antenna will not work. It has to be a 2.4ghz antenna (mini co-ax cable)

Jay, here is your link. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM9005

It's the same thing only without the small metal piece on the end like the traxxas one.

I had to take my PS3 apart the other day and its wifi cable was made the exact same way. Its just a gold snap on conncetor.

If you can snap the button on your jeans, you can replace this antenna.

Here is a link to the instructions on how to do it: http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SR3100.pdf

bmuncie,
    Those links helped me out but, i have a slightly different problem. my transmitter antenna was pulled out by my daughter, would the repair for this be the same? i pulled my transmitter apart and noticed the "coaxial" type connection but the antenna wire is missing the connector. this thread is the closest one i found to be helpful,

Thanks

RC Champion
    UPDATE: Replacing the wire on the 2218 2.4ghz link reciever is not only "do-able" by the end user, it is actually one of the easiest things to repair on your RC vehicle.

Sadly, Traxxas either has no clue or doesn't want you to know. I ended up buying a replacement antenna from Spektrum (2.4ghz 3100 model) for $7 and snapped it on.

Now why won't Traxxas sell replacement antennas? My guess is they make more $$ charging $20 for repair than they would $7 selling replacement antennas.

Sorry, but the two rx's I have need to be soldered. Not sure about how to solder coax cable...... might be something to it but I just don't know.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

So was that your problem after all? Any guess whether this happened during use or whether they arrived in your hands that way?

A lovely bit of Traxxas Bashing there. And a complete lack of comprehension of economics. Sell a $7 part or pay a skilled worker to disassemble, repair, and reassemble a radio. Include checking it in, entering it into the database, transport from receiving to the repair facility, parts and supplies costs, packaging, shipping out...there is so much more than even that involved. Yeah, the $7 part is looking like a very good deal... for Traxxas.

Sometimes you just have to wonder.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-01-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Yep, that's the problem. The end of the coax antenna wire is almost completely gone on one of them, and about 1/4 gone from the other......... I really don't know if they came to me that way or not. I didn't really pay attention in the beginning. Was too excited and just wanted to upgrade to my new FM TX/RX system. Thanks for asking.
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC poster
    i broke the transmitter antenna right where it bends to fold do they offer a piece to fix it??

RC Qualifier
    Im having range issues on my tmaxx with 6518 receiver.... I see from receiver blackwire antenna then a hard metal section and then a white section with mesh inside, but no center wire exposed. IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A CENTER WIRE CORE EXPOSED at the end? THIS IS THE FIRST TIME TAKING IT APART SO i do not know if it has to have a center core wire exposed. Please help. I am only getting like 30 feet range versus 300 feeet or more that it used to have. Also on a note, the hard metal section was slightly tweaked and I centered it back wit my fingers but its the same. Please help. New battteries on tqi transmitter and receiver.... Ill rather fix it than warranty it if i can........ also when i replace it/fix it can i tuck everything inside to not have an antenna exposed to protect it will that work??

RC poster
    Hey guys I'm really confused about all of this. Everyone here so far has been talking about their antenna length being around 27", but mine is only 6" or so in length. I don't know how far it goes till its out of range but I've been able to drive out as far as 100 yards with no issues. Are y'all saying my antenna needs to be much longer? Because I remember being told that it doesn't have to be anywhere near as long as 20 something inches to get good range. My old antenna wasn't more than 8" or 10" and when it broke off I accidentally fried my receiver trying to make a DIY binding cable. So I ordered a new receiver from flysky or something like that and the antenna it came with was the length it is now, 6" or so. Am I missing something hee? Cause I thought 2.4 GHz radios didn't need long antennas. Thanks in advance for the clarification.

RC Qualifier
    For 2.4 ghz if you have enough length and the end is broken off this worked for me: The black wire is really a very small coaxial cable as mentioned above.( inner wire with a insulator and an outer shield and insulated cover)
    If you strip the outer black insulated cover part off about 3/4" and cut she shield wires (very fine wires) you will have left a clear insulated wire. This will act as an antenna.
    I have done this on several Traxxas 2218x receivers and it has worked every time so far. Don